OrsonES

Update 18.05.2017 (Server Update)

Maintenance(17)wide.jpg

• Wing spar and fuel tank materials characteristics have been updated - they are now less resistant to kinetic ammo, previously specific aircraft’s wing spars could not be damaged by AP rounds (up to 20mm calibre)
  • Kinetic ammo (7.5-13 mm) energy loss over distance or when consequently penetrating aircraft construction has been reduced
  • Spalling effect mechanics for AP rounds have been updated, now more data is used for a more accurate calculation
  • Overheat parameters for high-calibre aircraft M5 cannons (75mm) - previously a gun could overheat after 2-3 shots.
  • Armour-piercing ammo belt for 37mm N-37D cannon has been updated - now it has only AP-I rounds
  • A.33 Excelsior - number of rounds have been increased from 35 to 64 according to David Fletcher, ''The Universal Tank''. British Armour in the Second World War, Part 2.

The current provided patchnotes reflect the major changes within the game as part of this Update. Some updates and fixes may be not listed in the provided notes. War Thunder is constantly improving all the time and certain fixes may be implemented without the client being updated.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, OrsonES said:

Kinetic ammo (7.5-13 mm) energy loss over distance or when consequently penetrating aircraft construction has been reduced

Does this mean that the M3 .50cal have a better chance of killing targets in a head on attacks? 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, OrsonES said:

• Spalling effect mechanics for AP rounds have been updated, now more data is used for a more accurate calculation.

Nice, just tried A.P out and it certainly feels a lot more accurate.

medal medal medal medal

Odd. I've been breaking wings with tracer belt of .50 cals from time to time before this patch. So they couldn't be immune.

medal medal medal

• A.33 Excelsior - number of rounds have been increased from 35 to 64 according to David Fletcher, ''The Universal Tank''. British Armour in the Second World War, Part 2.

Nice...Nice...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Spalling effect mechanics for AP rounds have been updated, now more data is used for a more accurate calculation

Uhhh a bit more info on this? Does "AP" include all types of AP (AP, APC, APBC, APCBC)? I suppose it doesn't include things like APCR, APDS and APFSDS since it would say "kinetic energy penetrator" otherwise. Also, what's the result? Better fragmentation/spalling/whatever (yes pls)?

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

• Wing spar and fuel tank materials characteristics have been updated - they are now less resistant to kinetic ammo, previously specific aircraft’s wing spars could not be damaged by AP rounds (up to 20mm calibre)
  • Kinetic ammo (7.5-13 mm) energy loss over distance or when consequently penetrating aircraft construction has been reduced

This means machine guns are more effective now, doesn't it?

Nice update I can see it comes from the need of making HMGs actually useful apart from American ones, since the Japanese/German/Italian machineguns were quite lacklusting.

Gonna play some rounds later and see how they perform

• Upvote 1
medal medal

1 hour ago, Ometius93 said:
  •  Uhhh a bit more info on this? Does "AP" include all types of AP (AP, APC, APBC, APCBC)? I suppose it doesn't include things like APCR, APDS and APFSDS since it would say "kinetic energy penetrator" otherwise. Also, what's the result? Better fragmentation/spalling/whatever (yes pls)?

From what i've seen so far today it doesn't seem to include APDS at least. Noticed a big difference on the FV4202.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, fedethesniper said:

Is it live yet?

Yes, most updates are live when their patch notes are published, unless stated otherwise.

5 hours ago, Packal said:

And where are stored Excelsior's new rounds? In the dmg model are still only 35 rounds...

shot 2017.05.18 16.22.39.jpg

Probably in the sides like on the Churchills. Doesn't make much sense that they would waste all that space.

medal medal medal medal medal

Looking forward to possibly increased effectiveness of AP shot and similar ammo to make them a little more competitive..... although I think it still does not address the root cause of the problem in WT, which is the damage model.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

This patch causes a bug in the T34 where AP shells become more bouncy and less effective than they were, reducing the effectiveness of the vehicle. Also, I have found sometimes when shells enter a tank, they ricochet multiple times off of the interior. This is a very game breaking effect that should be fixed.

Auscam (Posted )

If you are ​​​​​​​experiencing issues, then please produce a bug report with all relevant information required.
medal medal medal medal

On 18.05.2017 at 3:30 PM, OrsonES said:

Kinetic ammo (7.5-13 mm) energy loss over distance or when consequently penetrating aircraft construction has been reduced

yeah i tried this with my CL-13A against Il28. Substantional structural damage. Now i have more chances to kill 28 in gfsb, which is good. M3 brownings are now efficient against attackers and 28.

Hispanos ground targets belt is now ok against planes as well, for example a lot of yaks died yesterday because of broken wings and fire.

Good change. Really good change.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Is it just me seeing really substantial balance change after this patch? Especially low tier bombers have much harder time now, as they get swatted easily...one burst from 800m distance by anything with 4+MGs will kill most gunners and quite often even pilot(s), and that is with maxed vitality (barring ace crew bonus).

I've been trying to get skins for He-111 H-6, and while I usually scored a kill or two using manual gunnery, I rarely do so now, as my dorsal gunner is usually dead after first hit.

medal medal medal

The .50cals...

Oh god the M2 .50cals...

I don't think I have ever shot a better set of armament in the game ever. They are 1 shotting everything. This just is not right lol.

medal medal

On 18. 5. 2017 at 2:30 PM, OrsonES said:

Good job :good:

• Upvote 1
medal