Pony51

Fiat G.91 discussion thread

This Italian Stallion was announced 15 May 2017 and is sure to bring other jets a run for their money.

Just don't make mistake of confusing this fine hand built engineered machine to the roughly similar looking F-86!

fiat_g91_ps_01_1280h720_396aa01f7a413383

fiat_g91_ps_02_1280h720_28ed14954250bf83

33l0ahe.gif

The G91 was the new Italian Fighter during '50s and the first exported in other countries after WW2.

Thanks to its maneuverability it was used by the PAN (Pattuglia Acrobatica Nazionale) till 1982 after being replaced by the MB339

frecce8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, TLTeo said:

This should probably be in the attacker section, the G91 was a strike aircraft, not a fighter.

technically it was a "Recon Fighter/Bomber"

I guess, but I still think it makes more sense in the attacker section because its primary mission was always ground attack. If it had been expected to do a significant amount of air to air combat it wouldn't have mounted only 4 50 cals, and it would have taken the place of F86s and F104s. Plus it was also by the Tornado IDS, which is also a ground attack plane.

• Haha 1
medal medal

Its a ground attack aircraft.  However we fail to realize time frame.  Yes its very much competitive fighter against Mig15s and F86s maybe in 1956 but it really flew in a era (introduction 1958) with F104s Mig19s Mig21s and F4 phantoms two years later.  Its a support aircraft in a supersonic era.  We need to introduce soon the Mig19 and F100.  Then we can really fly these aircraft for the role they were intended.  Most people in war thunder fly aircraft in ways they never did.  F84 was ground attack.  Same with F9F.

medal

28 minutes ago, ekg98 said:

Its a ground attack aircraft. 

sorry, not a ground attack aircraft.

it was a "Tatctical Light Fighter" (as metioned in the Aeronautica Militare site)
so, keep on calling it "ground attack" or "strike aircraft" it's wrong.

It's just a fighter.

Yes it's pretty cool that this plane will be included in war thunder. i'm expecting the German tree to get a version too at some stage.

But having said that: I don't know why people are getting too excited about it, given that it's going take about a month to unlock the thing.

I guess that the 1953 cut-off must be gone...

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Regardless of how this thing performs next to the competition, I think the G.91 can hands-down be called the prettiest jet fighter to be added to War Thunder.  I wonder if we might see the R/3 variant or even the Y variant.

3 hours ago, BlueBeta said:

sorry, not a ground attack aircraft.

it was a "Tatctical Light Fighter" (as metioned in the Aeronautica Militare site)
so, keep on calling it "ground attack" or "strike aircraft" it's wrong.

It's just a fighter.

Technically it was designed as a "light strike fighter" (that's where the "tactical" part of its designation on the AM website comes from), a light fighter which could be used in the ground attack role with conventional or nuclear ordinance if required.  Of course, that doesn't make it the equivalent of an attacker by any means, as its primary role was still air-to-air combat.

Edited by Z3r0_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Enough with the damn air to air thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBMR-1

Strike aircraft means ground attack CAS aircraft, not air to air aircraft. There is NOTHING in there about air to air, especially considering that one required armament configuration was 4 50cals and the Korean War showed that the era of 50 cals was gone. I mean damn, by definition a strike aircraft is an aircraft that carries out air strikes (which means attacking ground targets)....

Calling the G91 a figthter is like calling the A4, A8, F105, Jaguar, Harrier, Tornado IDS, you name it, fighters. Their job is not to shoot down other planes.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Haha 1
medal medal

12 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

Those requirements specifically state that the plane is meant to be a strike (ie, ground attack) aircraft.  There is NOTHING in there about air to air, especially considering that one required armament configuration was 4 50cals and the Korean War showed that the era of 50 cals was gone.
The G91 will probably be flown like a fighter in game, but in real life that was never, ever meant to be its job. 

No,

The requirements specifically state that the plane is meant to be a "light weight tactical strike fighter (LWTSF)"

Strike fighters are ground-attack aircraft with a secondary air-to-air role.  It is intended as, in other words, a multi-role aircraft similar to how the F-16 and F-15 eventually turned out.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, TLTeo said:

Strike aircraft means ground attack CAS aircraft, not air to air aircraft. There is NOTHING in there about air to air, especially considering that one required armament configuration was 4 50cals and the Korean War showed that the era of 50 cals was gone. I mean damn, by definition a strike aircraft is an aircraft that carries out air strikes (which means attacking ground targets)....

Calling the G91 a figthter is like calling the A4, A8, F105, Jaguar, Harrier, Tornado IDS, you name it, fighters. Their job is not to shoot down other planes.

Sorry mate. Call the Italian Chief of Staff and tell him to change the G91 nomenclature...

(G91 still a fighter and MB326K was an attacker)

Anyway, i think we won't see any R3 in the immediate future becausr this would derail the focus from the italian TT.

Maby next year (i suppose nothing planned or official)

• Thanks 1

The official designation should be used, people will fly it however they want to in War Thunder anyways.

When I eventually get this I may ram Tu-4s with it as a SAM no matter the designation, but hopefully considering I don't use premium account by the time I do get it there will be Italian ground forces that I can support on the battlefield from the air :)

So considering the devblog specifically seems to mention "pre-series" quite a bit, what would the "normal" version be like?

medal medal

1 minute ago, RememberRoute23 said:

The official designation should be used, people will fly it however they want to in War Thunder anyways.

When I eventually get this I may ram Tu-4s with it as a SAM no matter the designation, but hopefully considering I don't use premium account by the time I do get it there will be Italian ground forces that I can support on the battlefield from the air :)

So considering the devblog specifically seems to mention "pre-series" quite a bit, what would the "normal" version be like?

The "normal" version was the R1, this looks different so they had to specificate "preserie" in the name. Because writing just G.91 for Italy would be the "R1" version.

Ps

I don't think we will ever see any G91Y, it got afterburners.

5 hours ago, BlueBeta said:

The "normal" version was the R1, this looks different so they had to specificate "preserie" in the name. Because writing just G.91 for Italy would be the "R1" version.

Ps

I don't think we will ever see any G91Y, it got afterburners.

Oh, right...damn.  Well, maybe we'll see the R/3 at least, although seeing as that variant was made for the Luftwaffe...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 16.5.2017 at 1:15 AM, RememberRoute23 said:

You won't need to ram a Tu-4 to kill it with the G.91, since it can carry 38 FFAR rockets, which were originally developed to be an anti-bomber armament. The F-86D "Sabredog" didn't even carry any weaponry besides these rockets. Just set the fuse distance to around 600 - 800 meters, do a standard attack approach(standard for attacking a Tu-4, i.e. near max. speed and from either directly ahead or below and from the side) and let loose with the rockets from around 1000-600 meters. You carry so many that at least one is almost guaranteed to hit. And even if none do, thanks to bad luck or bad aim, the airburst function will at least severely damage the Tu-4 if they explode near it. :yes_yes_yes:

And of course, they are useful in the air-ground role too. :good:

Edited by SD501st
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal

So 9 August 1956 is now the end cutoff date? 

So Avro Vulcan's should be accepted as well as F-100's?

medal

25 minutes ago, Lefthook67 said:

I don't know how many times it has been said, written down and announced already.. but here again:

For planes there is no real cut-off date. There is just a technical limit as:

No Supersonic jets, no afterburners no radar guided missiles etc.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Lefthook67 said:

F-100 had an afterburning engine and had A2A missile capability, and is not within the technical limitations set by the developers for the game. Although there is on plane that shares a similar designated aircraft, the CF-100 Canuck is well within the technical limitations of the game, and I really want this Canadian jet fighter in the game, on the British (commonwealth) tree.

On 2017-5-15 at 2:02 PM, Been_Benuane said:

I guess that the 1953 cut-off must be gone...

The developers have mentioned this many times already for both GF and AF, it is not a specific cut off date but rather a technical cut off, aka. no aircraft that has an afterburning engine or one that can carry A2A missiles. It just so happens many of such eligible planes were only developed between the late 1940s - early 1950s.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

If you can have WEP, why no Afterburner? You just treat it as a major, major fuel leak while its going. 

The F-86K should be the premier fighter of the Italian tree. You already have a poor mans radar sight in AB 

medal medal medal medal

21 minutes ago, Aurdent said:

If you can have WEP, why no Afterburner? You just treat it as a major, major fuel leak while its going. 

The F-86K should be the premier fighter of the Italian tree. You already have a poor mans radar sight in AB 

Think of it.

WEP adds maybe 10-15% of Thrust while an Afterburner can add up to 50%.

And once you get into afterburner territory climb rates exceed 100m/s quickly.

• Upvote 4