This game has BEAUTIFUL aircraft and VERY GOOD 3D.  We have it working to near perfection, so I'm starting this thread with a few posts reserved at the top.  We will keep the current "best" setup here along with the instructions on how to do it.

Oculus Rift Setup Guide:

*** NATIVE MODE WORKS! ***

It has a few qwirks, but native Rift support is now in the game!  The framerate is very high, head tracking works, and the font size on markers is increase for ease of reading.  Thanks devs!  You can still use Opentrack if you want positional tracking as well, details are below!

To enable Native support, check the "Oculus Rift" box under the advanced setup screen in the game launcher.  This is the same place you adjust advanced video settings.  Then go ahead and continue into the game as usual.  You will notice no difference until you actual get into an airplane in a match or test flight, then Rift mode with the split / distorted screen and head tracking will enable.

The few problems you may see and the work arounds.

No Head Tracking at all - If you used the older method, delete (or zip if you want to save) the entire Opentrack folder.  It loads some DLLs that conflict with the game.  Once this folder is removed, the native head tracking (no positional though) will now work.

No enemy / friendly markers - If you don't see the usual red / blue markers when in Rift mode, just bring up the main game menu, then choose Resume.  This seems to fix it and they will suddenly appear.

Black Screen in Rift mode -   Some users get a black screen going into rift mode.  It seems to be related to video settings, usually picking a very high setting with AA.  Disabling AA or selecting a lesser quality setting for the game seems to take care of this.

My head slowly drifts to the left? - There is some drift with the current version of the rift, so eventually the view may wander left / right  To correct this, simply use the HAT stick (or map a key) for left / right looking (relative) and make slight corrections as you play.  It is minor, maybe a few degrees a round, but eventually you'll find yourself looking over your shoulder to look straight if you don't correct it :)

You still want positional tracking -  You can still use Opentrack in lieu of the games native head tracking if you have a Hydra attached to your Rift.  Launch the game with Rift mode enabled (but Opentrack off).  Get into a flight / test flight so that Rift mode fully enables.  Now, unplug the USB from your Rift, then plug it back in, then launch Opentrack and start it's tracker and you are all set!  It should work until you exit the game.

:salute:

"Old Method" (No longer necessary)

Like written instructions for tying shoes, this looks long but is not actually that much work.  Easily worth the 15 minutes to setup :)  Once configured, it takes but a minute to enable the Rift and launch a game.

This guide assumes you are familiar with your Oculus Rift.  If you have a Razer Hydra attach the controller to the top of your head on the strap that goes over the top.  The use of a Razer Hydra is optional, but does give you all axis movement so it is highly recommended (but by no means required).  This config had the base station on my left, cables coming out away from me.

To use without a Hydra, simply set the zoom in the game to be relative, and pick two keys for min and max value.  When you start a game, use these keys to zoom all the way out, and you'll have a nice wide FOV, and still be able to use the target lock zoom.  You'll stay zoomed back the entire session by default.

1.)  Download and extract the attached files and the linked to copy of IZ3D below.  They don't install, but just run from the folder they are extracted too, so extract to their final location.

OpenTrack is essentially TrackIR for the Rift.  

WarThunderProfile is our current best setup of axis / curves.  

Oculus Overlay is what warps the image to make it appear correctly in the Rift.

IZ3D is an abandoned 3D driver that puts War Thunder into 3D.  Get it here:

http://www.iz3d.com/download/files/iZ3DDriverSetup_1_13(5443).exe  Get the "Release Candidate Version" if this link quits working.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914  This is the XNA Framework, required for the Oculus Overlay.  Download and install

2.)  Create a shortcut to "OculusOverlay.exe" on you desktop.

3.)  Create a shortcut to "OpenTrack.exe" on your desktop.

4.)  Copy the "WarThunder.ini" file into the Settings folder in the OpenTrack folder.  This imports the profile with all the movement curves for the head tracking portion (both Rift and Hydra).  It also sets your FOV further back, which you will want later.

5.)  Install IZ3D on your computer.  Be sure you select the options for FULL INSTALL or it will trip you up later.  This will require a reboot after it completes.  Be sure to install the XNA Framework as well (if you don't already have it).

6.)  Extend (NOT MIRROR) your desktop to the Rift (Windows Key + P for the lazy :) ).  Your main desktop should be in 1920 x 1080, and the Rift will come up as 1280 x 800.

7.)  Launch OpenTrack.  In the Profile drop down choose WarThunder.ini and choose Load.  Then hit Start and you should see tracking begin. My rift is weird and won't be detected until I unplug / plug the USB back in.  If you have issues, try this.

8.)  Launch IZ3D.  Under Status and Methods choose Disable Driver.  For Output select Side by Side in box one and Left Right in box two, and hit apply.  Minimize it for now.

9.)  Launch War Thunder.  Under Menu -> Controls 

Choose Use Zoom With Head Tracking

Under Zoom Axis set Relative Control  to Yes

10.)  Now go ahead and launch a test flight.  Don't put the rift on, but hold it level and hit the END key.  This is the centering button, it zeroes all axis to the current position.  You should be able to look around, over, up and down, etc by just using the rift.  We set this up first as the menus are hard to read in 3D mode.  If all set, exit the game.

11.)  Launch IZ3D, under Status and Methods choose Enable Driver and hit Apply.

12.)  Launch the War Thunder launcher.  Disable Shadows and Motion Blur.  Set it to Windowed, Set resolution to 1776 x 1000, then exit the launcher without starting the game.

Skip 13 and 14, no longer necessary.

13.)  Edit the "War Thunder\config.blk" file.  In the Video section edit this line to match this resolution:

resolution:t="1280 x 1080"

14.)  Save the file, then right click on it and set it to Read Only.  As this is a nonstandard resolution, War Thunder will overwrite it at launch if not stopped.

15.)  Launch Oculus Overlay, drag it over to the Rift, then hit the letter Z to make it go full screen, then hit M to disable Windows Aero Interface (BIG performance boost).

16.)  Launch War Thunder.  It is now in a very tall weird window.  Bring Oculus Overly to the foreground by clicking on it from the taskbar (it is still displaying on the rift, but no worries).  Now move (don't click!) the mouse pointer to the Top Left corner of the War Thunder window inside the lines and hit Y, then to the Bottom RIght  corner inside the lines and hit H.  This sets the zone on your desktop that Oculus Overlay will mirror.

17.)  Pick up the rift and look through it.  Hit J on the keyboard to zoom in until the screen takes up your entire field of vision.  Use U to zoom back out if you go too far in.

18.)  FIre up a test flight, you are all but ready to go!  Sitting in the cockpit adjust the 3D settings to fit your eyes.  Use the Wizard built into IZ3D if you need help.  It is a little hard to read, but will work.  If there is a demand I'll do a quick write up on that.  If you notice poor video performance (stuttering in the Oculus Overlay but not on your monitor) you will want to set the CPU Affinity of War Thunder's executable to be different then the Oculus Overlay.  Give half your cores to one process, and the other have to the other.

If you want to try my IZ3D profile (may kill your eyes) as a starting point, add the text from WarThunderIZ3DProfile.zip to your autosave settings for IZ3D located here 

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\iZ3D Driver\UserProfile.xml

Now go fly the only way you'll want to from here on out, IN THE PLANE!  :salute:

Some users have found they need to use the XP Renderer in War Thunder in order to get the Side by Side 3D working.  Make the config.blk writeable again, launch the launcher and change the Renderer to XP, then exit the launcher, reset the Config.blk resolution to 1280 x 1080, save, make read only, then try it again.

Quickstart Guide after initial configuration:

Launch Oculus Overlay and maximize on the desktop extended to the Rift by hitting Z

Launch OpenTrack, choose WarThunder Profile and hit Start

Launch IZ3D and Enable the driver then hit Apply

Launch War Thunder

Foreground Oculus Overlay and set the view area by mousing over (no click!) top left - hit Y, bottom right - hit H

Use  to adjust the zoom for a full screen in the Rift

Set process affinity between your available CPU / Cores between Aces.exe and OculusOverlay.exe

You are good to go.  See you in the air  8)s

5/23 Update : Improved Opentrack Profile, now a small dead zone before you zoom when leaning in. 

5/25 Update : Instructions for non-hydra playing / note about download possibly needed for Oculus Overlay.

5/26 Update:  Suggestion from users to use XP Renderer if Side by Side not working correctly from IZ3D

5/28 Update:  Disabling Windows Aero gets you a bit perfomance boost.  Hitting M after full screening the overlay does this (or pick a 'Basic') theme for your Windows Desktop (outside of the game)

5/28  Update:  Fixed IZ3D link.  Added user recommendation of specifying "Release Candidate Version"

6/3 Update : New Oculus Overly .83 fixes aspect ratio and need for read only file with custom resolution.

Settings good enough now to play online and have a really good time :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_AFBKOIZPE&hd=1

• Upvote 7

Frequently Asked Questions for Native Support :

1.)  I have no Head Tracking at all - If you used the older method, delete (or zip if you want to save) the entire Opentrack folder.  It loads some DLLs that conflict with the game.  Once this folder is removed, the native head tracking (no positional though) will now work.

2.)  I get no enemy / friendly markers - If you don't see the usual red / blue markers when in Rift mode, just bring up the main game menu, then choose Resume.  This seems to fix it and they will suddenly appear.

3.)  All I get is a Black Screen in Rift mode -   Some users get a black screen going into rift mode.  It seems to be related to video settings, usually picking a very high setting with AA.  Disabling AA or selecting a lesser quality setting for the game seems to take care of this.

4.)  My head slowly drifts to the left? - There is some drift with the current version of the rift, so eventually the view may wander left / right  To correct this, simply use the HAT stick (or map a key) for left / right looking (relative) and make slight corrections as you play.  It is minor, maybe a few degrees a round, but eventually you'll find yourself looking over your shoulder to look straight if you don't correct it :)

5.)  I still want positional tracking -  You can still use Opentrack in lieu of the games native head tracking if you have a Hydra attached to your Rift.  Launch the game with Rift mode enabled (but Opentrack off).  Get into a flight / test flight so that Rift mode fully enables.  Now, unplug the USB from your Rift, then plug it back in, then launch Opentrack and start it's tracker and you are all set!  It should work until you exit the game.

Frequently Asked Questions for "Old Method"

1.)  IZ3D is demo software that expires in 30 days, and can no longer be bought.  Are we out of luck when the trial runs out?

IZ3D is a temporary solution we are using until Vireio, VorpX, or native support in War Thunder becomes available.  That said, if you search around on the web you can find other people in the same boat and the approach they took.

2.)  I am unable to choose "Side by Side" in IZ3D.  What is wrong?

Try reinstalling IZ3D using the "Full Install" option.  It seems to not install all the trial modes sometimes, which is why you don't see it listed.

3.)  I am able to select "Side by Side", but it still isn't working.  What else can I try?

Several users have reported that choosing the XP Renderer in the game launcher solved this problem for them.  You will need to make the config.blk writeable again, launch the game to the launcher, pick the XP Renderer, exit the launcher, edit the config.blk to set the resolution back to 1280 x 800, then save it and make it read only again.  If this works for you, do post and let us know.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't work for me. You're saying to select Side by Side in IZ3D, however there is no Side by Side option for me anywhere! :(

EDIT: FIXED! Had to reinstall and select "full install".

New problem: 

8.)  Launch IZ3D.  Under Status and Methods choose Disable Driver.  For Output select Side by Side in box one and Left Right in box two, and hit apply.  Minimize it for now.

9.)  Launch War Thunder.  Under Menu -> Controls 

Choose Use Zoom With Head Tracking

Under Zoom Axis set Relative Control  to Yes

8. My IZ3D doesn't haev a Status and Methods menu and no option to "Disable Driver." 

9. War Thunder does not have a "Use Zoom With Head Tracking" option in the Controls menu. I made sure to run OpenTrack with Rift first... I don't know what's wrong with it. 

Thanks Hethwill! :)

When you run the install, you can pick what setup (display type). Choose Side by Side there, or it won't be available later. You can reinstall IZ3D and choose it. I had one time installing it where I did select it and it didn't show. I did a reinstall and chose custom, the picked it directly from a presented list.
  • Upvote 1

A dumb question:

If i buy the whole device Ill dont need trackir anymore?

Thks

S!

• Upvote 1

Cool sim setup with the Wheel, the Sticks and pedals, not to mention the rift.

I am jealous!

• Upvote 1
medal medal

If i buy the whole device Ill dont need trackir anymore?

No such thing as a dumb question:)  If by device you mean the rift, then you would still need track ir OR the razor hydra with opentrack, as the current version of the rift does not have postiional tracking yet.  The next version most likely will, and the eventual consumer version definately will, at which point you would only need the consumer rift and nothing else.

But if positional tracking isn't that important to you and you just want to be able to look around in all directions without being able to lean forward or lean over the side, then you only need the rift and a program called freetracknoir, the same program that opentrack is based off of.

medal

8. My IZ3D doesn't haev a Status and Methods menu and no option to "Disable Driver." 

9. War Thunder does not have a "Use Zoom With Head Tracking" option in the Controls menu. I made sure to run OpenTrack with Rift first... I don't know what's wrong with it. 

8-After you install IZ3d, you should be able to launch a small control center from the windows start menu.  This will have several tabs along the left side of it, one being status and methods, others being Driver settings, updates, etc.  If selected, it should then show in the main screen of the control center the opions to enable and disable the driver.  If it created a start menu shortcut, you can also (from windows 7 at least) hover over it with the mouse, then click on the little arrow that appears on the right side of the menu.  This brings up "Tasks", one of which is enable and the other which is to disable.

9 - For this one, I think you may need to run controller setup once using the full real settings instead of realistic or simple.  Use the escape key for everything so as to keep the same key settings, but it should, at some point, ask you if you want to use headtracking.  Select yes, then continue using escape until you have completed setup.  At this point you can reload your original control settings just to make sure nothing changed, but this should then cause the "Use Zoom with Headtracking" to appear.

medal

8-After you install IZ3d, you should be able to launch a small control center from the windows start menu.  This will have several tabs along the left side of it, one being status and methods, others being Driver settings, updates, etc.  If selected, it should then show in the main screen of the control center the opions to enable and disable the driver.  If it created a start menu shortcut, you can also (from windows 7 at least) hover over it with the mouse, then click on the little arrow that appears on the right side of the menu.  This brings up "Tasks", one of which is enable and the other which is to disable.

9 - For this one, I think you may need to run controller setup once using the full real settings instead of realistic or simple.  Use the escape key for everything so as to keep the same key settings, but it should, at some point, ask you if you want to use headtracking.  Select yes, then continue using escape until you have completed setup.  At this point you can reload your original control settings just to make sure nothing changed, but this should then cause the "Use Zoom with Headtracking" to appear.

Thanks for that, it worked. 

If anyone has this error and an Oculus Overlay crash, you need to Google and install the XNA Redistributable.  

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: OculusOverlay.exe
  Application Version: 1.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 518d2958
  Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17965
  Fault Module Timestamp: 506dbe50
  Exception Code: e0434352
  Exception Offset: 0000c41f
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 4105
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

• Upvote 1

Wow!  A great presentation, LTJW!

On behalf of all of us who have been following this thread including those, who like me are cheerleading from the sidelines, I would like to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with Rift as you experiment with its potential in WT and for presenting this valuable information here. Your enthusiasm and dedication to this project are outstanding!

Even viewing your video without the benefit of the ‘virtual reality’ view gave me a rush!  The sense of what you are seeing with Rift is there.  I can’t wait to try this for myself.

Several times in your posts, and again in your video, you have commented on depth perception, something that I am always looking for as it’s the one important element that I’ve always assumed must make such a difference in the total immersion in a flight sim experience, particularly in aspects like spotting, tracking, shooting, etc.

I’ll soon be away for several weeks but I’ll try to follow the thread with my somewhat limited resources.

Thanks again,

• Upvote 1
medal

Don't be gone too long Jimko!  I can attest that the 3d is quite impressive!  I've flown under bridges too and its so easy, because you know exactly how far away everything is!  Your cockpit is right there, the plane around you just looks real!  In one of our dogfights (I was in a p-38, he was on my tail in a bf109) I had no chance of shaking him but I was able to literally hug the ground a meter or two above the trees and hold that due to the great 3d depth perception, and extended the life of my plane considerably!

It really is as great as it sounds, and its been some time since I've seen something that meets that criteria.  I second the thank you to Lt. JW!

• Upvote 1
medal

Stop teasing me Ammo!  :Ds

It's exciting to read the descriptions of your virtual flight experience.

I also want to thank you and acknowledge your valuable role as LTJW's wingman in the Rift squadron.  Both of you have done so much to bring this technology to WT.

Good luck over the next few weeks!

• Upvote 2
medal

Thanks for that, it worked. 

If anyone has this error and an Oculus Overlay crash, you need to Google and install the XNA Redistributable.  

I forgot about that, nice catch!  I have updated the instructions, thanks! :salute:

Wow!  A great presentation, LTJW!

On behalf of all of us who have been following this thread including those, who like me are cheerleading from the sidelines, I would like to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with Rift as you experiment with its potential in WT and for presenting this valuable information here. Your enthusiasm and dedication to this project are outstanding!

Even viewing your video without the benefit of the ‘virtual reality’ view gave me a rush!  The sense of what you are seeing with Rift is there.  I can’t wait to try this for myself.

Several times in your posts, and again in your video, you have commented on depth perception, something that I am always looking for as it’s the one important element that I’ve always assumed must make such a difference in the total immersion in a flight sim experience, particularly in aspects like spotting, tracking, shooting, etc.

I’ll soon be away for several weeks but I’ll try to follow the thread with my somewhat limited resources.

Thanks again,

It has been a lot of fun getting it going.  I do await the day though where the instructions are "Start War Thunder, select Rift Mode, hit Play" :)  Until then, the few extra steps here are completely worth the effort.

Ahh, don't be gone too long!  As a send off since you are keen on depth perception, I have a special video encoding as we speak.  Hopefully I have it uploaded before the "Grand Marnier" kicks in :lol:

Cool sim setup with the Wheel, the Sticks and pedals, not to mention the rift.

I am jealous!

It's my rainy day hobby, and since I live around Seattle I put a lot of effort into it :Ds   I have a "Butt Kicker" on the front right couch leg (very cool!) to complete the experience.

Gqr3tUT.jpg

And your flying room needs a cool 1940's aviation motif, so we did this room up proper using a dozen of my son's BBI airplane toys (I may have bought myself a few...) and a collection of WW2 aircraft parts :)  Right outside the window is a 9' long aircraft carrier to boot.  :lol:

Well, why are you teasing us! D:

Real nice btw, cant wait till i get mine (will order the produc one)

One more video.  Pick 1080p and full screen it if you have a Rift:

Ok, now I'm starting to drool like a dog!  Another great 'trailer'!

As before, I can't fully appreciate the visual without Rift but I certainly get the idea of the depth perception and the sense of virtual reality. I keep trying to 'stereoscope' my eyes so that I can appreciate the video as someone might using Rift.

I particularly enjoyed the Spitfire sequence.  It strikes me that the visual movement (the TrackIR effect of looking around) is very fluid, very smooth.  Nice emergency landing in the Spit, by the way!

Well done and thanks for another 'teaser'.  The way you are drumming up business for Oculus Rift, they should have given the unit to you, free!

See you in three weeks!

Over and out...  :salute:

medal

I followed all of the instructions to a "T" (and double checked my work), but can't seem to get the 3D working. When I put on my Rift I see a jumbled image that appears to not be rendering the stereoscopic 3D correctly.

I tried using your IZ3D profile, and still no luck. I can't seem to get the wizard to display - not sure why that could be happening.

Any thoughts on how to get it working? I feel like I'm so close, but am just missing one little thing.

I followed all of the instructions to a "T" (and double checked my work), but can't seem to get the 3D working. When I put on my Rift I see a jumbled image that appears to not be rendering the stereoscopic 3D correctly.

I tried using your IZ3D profile, and still no luck. I can't seem to get the wizard to display - not sure why that could be happening.

Any thoughts on how to get it working? I feel like I'm so close, but am just missing one little thing.

Sounds like you are close.

So you do see a side by side image on your monitor (just not distorted for Rift), but on the Rift it isn't appearing correctly?

Things to check:

Make sure OculusOverlay is watching the correct area of the screen.  With it in the FOREGROUND even though it is full screened on your Rift, hold the mouse over the top left corner of the windowed War Thunder game and hit Y (no clicking) then mouse over the bottom corner and hit H.  Then click on the War Thunder window to bring it back to the foreground to play.

It sounds more like IZ3D is just not set for your eyes (mine are far apart so my settings may hurt :) ).  In IZ3D you'll see keys for increasing and decreasing the separation / convergence.  My separation is set to Num - and Num +.  Using those two keys (try mapping like mine are) relax your eyes and try tapping a dozen times slowly one way, then go back the other.  You'll eventually see the image "come together".  Once that is set you can fine tune convergence for things far away (or the text over a targe / gunsight as these seem to be "far away" in the game).

With 3D disabled (mirrored eye mode) it should line up fine and look flat.  You can map a key for this as well (I used *)

I actually don't see a side-by-side image on my main monitor when the game is running. I do see it in the Oculus Overlay (before I hit Z to send it to the Rift), but don't see it in the main game window. Should I be seeing it there? 

I actually don't see a side-by-side image on my main monitor when the game is running. I do see it in the Oculus Overlay (before I hit Z to send it to the Rift), but don't see it in the main game window. Should I be seeing it there?

Yes.  IZ3d should produce the side by side image on the main desktop, then overlay should then properly apply the barrel distortion the rift lenses need on the secondary desktop.  Without the image in side by side, overlay will give two completely different images to each eye (the left half of your desktop to the left eye and right half of your desktop to your right eye), which will implode your brain, as the eyes need to see similar images to be able to converge and combine/overlay them in your brain.  With IZ3D splitting the image, overlay then sees the same image for both eyes (with one being slightly different for the 3d effect) which then allows your eyes to converge on the similar images and see the same thing. 

Check to see that IZ3D is enabled, and set to left/right (not corsseyed or any other method).  If you don't see the option for side by side, you may have to reinstall IZ3D and select full install/trial to have the option appear.

Hitting Z in overlay only sets it to full screen mode on the secondary desktop (what the rift sees) as it should always be seeing and displaying whats on the main desktop.  Once in full screen mode, with overlay being the active program, use the Y and H while hovering the mouse over the top left and lower right of the warthunder window (which should be split into two mirrored images) to tell overlay what you want displayed.

If IZ3D is enabled and set to side by side, left/right, and overly is also set up correctly, then as Lt JW mentioned, try turning off 3d (using the * key from the number pad, not the main keyboard).  If turning off 3d makes everything look ok, then its just the 3d settings that are off.  If this does not fix it, the issue must still be with either IZ3D or with oculus overlay.

Keep us posted on your progress!  Its well worth the time and effort to get it working, promise!

medal