Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Risen29

What is that lagging circle on the bombsight indicator?

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out where I'm suppose to aim my bombs. Do I aim dead center where the crosshair is? Does that lagging circle indicate where the bombs will really land?
Or is the bomb drop location going to be somewhere inbetween those two that I have to guess?

I'm talking about bombing from very high altitude, I notice the variance between the two increases.

Not sure what you mean - but I think you are talking about the attitude indicator (AI) as the "lagging circle" - if it is that just shows what angle he aircraft is to the horizontal.

Crosshairs are the only thing you use to aim - the AI is just to tell you if you are flying straight and level, or banking to either side or climbing or diving - ie it helps you fly the plane in this view.

24 minutes ago, Risen29 said:

I'm trying to figure out where I'm suppose to aim my bombs. Do I aim dead center where the crosshair is? Does that lagging circle indicate where the bombs will really land?
Or is the bomb drop location going to be somewhere inbetween those two that I have to guess?

I'm talking about bombing from very high altitude, I notice the variance between the two increases.

You mean bombsight view?

The bombsight view shows you the same info as in the HUD view, as well as the bomb crosshair. The little circle that lags behind your aim point when you move exists in actual aircraft HUDs. It's called the Flight Path Vector and I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the display that shows where the aircraft "thinks" you will be heading with the current airspeed and attitude. In bombsight view it's irrelevant as your sight is looking down and not to the front.

Bombs normally fall towards the center of the crosshair, but at higher altitudes the spread of your bombs' trajectory becomes greater. If you're flying fast you also have to drop your bombs before the crosshair is over the target. How much depends on your altitude and the bomber you're using. When possible it's best to slow down as much as possible to reduce the effect of speed in your bombs.

I'm talking about the bombsight view on heavy bombers.

So, is the bombsight perfectly calibrated so that no matter how erratic my flight path is the bombs will always land where the crosshair points (aside from the natural altitude spread of bombs)?

Otherwise I'm always concerned that having too steep of elevation, or banking/yawing too hard, will throw off the accuracy of my bombsight. So I try not to turn too much to adjust my bomb path.

Is excess speed the only thing that can cause my bombsight to not be accurate then?

Edited by Risen29

height is the main thing - that plus the fact hat you cant see all the ground detail most of the time and you are not a perfect shot :) - so anything that might throw your shot off is also going to affect it - if you are bombing while banking hard you are probably not going to have good aim...... but if you do have good aim then the banking is irrelevant AFAIK.

"Weapon maintenance" affects how much spread bombs have.

1 hour ago, Risen29 said:

So, is the bombsight perfectly calibrated so that no matter how erratic my flight path is the bombs will always land where the crosshair points (aside from the natural altitude spread of bombs)?

Otherwise I'm always concerned that having too steep of elevation, or banking/yawing too hard, will throw off the accuracy of my bombsight. So I try not to turn too much to adjust my bomb path.

Is excess speed the only thing that can cause my bombsight to not be accurate then?

Pretty much. Unlike a real bombsight that has to be carefully calibrated, the one in the game shows you the exact point where bombs will hit at the moment. Bombing at an angle or when banking or yawing hard doesn't affect the accuracy of the bomb, but it does make aiming harder (and might not even let you drop if you're diving or climbing too steeply, depending on which bomber you're flying).  For very precise bombing you'll want your plane's trajectory to be as slow and steady and possible. 

And the other factors that affect your bomb spread, like Josephs_Piano said, are the altitude and your crew's Maintenance skills.

The answer was almost given above.

Your lagging dot (which BTW can be preceding as well) is the current flypath of you plane. You can also see it in the virtual cockpit view (F4 by default).

To illustrate this, imagine that your bomb sight is aligned with the 0° inclination. If the dot-thingy is below, you plane is slightly sinking. Altimeter will prove me right. If you are faster, with an empty bay, you will see the dot above the virtual horizon. And your Altitude will increase.

Where the nose points is not where the plane goes. The plane goes where this little dot points.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0