Sirchby

tanks/vehicles
M36B2 Jackson (M3A1): Modernized Tank Hunter

M36B2 (M3A1)   115 members have voted

1. 1. Should M36B2 (M3A1) be added to the game?

• Yes. U.S. Ground Forces Tech Tree is running very low on tank destroyers
    • No. No need for more American vehicles
  2. 2. What status should it be?

• Regular: There is simply not enough American regular tank destroyer
    • Premium: America needs to have the most Tier 4 premium in the game
    • Event: Don't want to see a lot of this tank destroyer in game even if it's mass produced & saw combat
  3. 3. Should M36B2 (M3A1) have additional .30 cal on top of the turret?

• Yes. It looks good on top of it. Just like Fury
    • No. It's not important

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

95 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Why not treat the M36 Jackson the way some of the German fighters are, in that there are multiple main armaments for it. Give it the 90mm M3 as the stock gun, and let the 90mm M3A1 be researchable. The roof armor kit could fall under the Add-On Armor module that certain vehicles get. Then you wouldn't have to worry about redundant Rank 4 TDs. It would simply need it's BR readjusted to accommodate the change, say BR 6.0-6.3. Just my two cents: new to this whole forums thing. Carry on, mates.

Edited by RPS007
Adjusting post.

2 hours ago, RPS007 said:

Why not treat the M36 Jackson the way some of the German fighters are, in that there are multiple main armaments for it. Give it the 90mm M3 as the stock gun, and let the 90mm M3A1 be researchable. The roof armor kit could fall under the Add-On Armor module that certain vehicles get. Then you wouldn't have to worry about redundant Rank 4 TDs. It would simply need it's BR readjusted to accommodate the change, say BR 6.0-6.3. Just my two cents: new to this whole forums thing. Carry on, mates.

There are some basic problem with that mechanic:

-That would increase its default BR while being outgunned if 90 mm M3A1 is not researched yet, then leaving 90 mm M3 useless after researched with a new one

-No tanks in the game have switchable gun

-The whole point of the M36B2 introduction is to extend the US tank destroyer line, as a new vehicle to research after the M36. Having a high tier M36 Jackson while armed with new HEAT-FS

-Also, M36B2 is using diesel engine (General Motors Mod. 6046 - From M4A2 GMC / M10 GMC), while M36 is using gasoline engine (Ford GAA - From M4A3 Sherman / M10A1 GMC), which is impossible to have one of those researched in a single tank

39 minutes ago, Sirchby said:

There are some basic problem with that mechanic:

-That would increase its default BR while being outgunned if 90 mm M3A1 is not researched yet, then leaving 90 mm M3 useless after researched with a new one

-No tanks in the game have switchable gun

-The whole point of the M36B2 introduction is to extend the US tank destroyer line, as a new vehicle to research after the M36. Having a high tier M36 Jackson while armed with new HEAT-FS

-Also, M36B2 is using diesel engine (General Motors Mod. 6046 - From M4A2 GMC / M10 GMC), while M36 is using gasoline engine (Ford GAA - From M4A3 Sherman / M10A1 GMC), which is impossible to have one of those researched in a single tank

Fair enough. Like I said, new to this whole forum thing. Just figured I'd throw out an idea.

This is a needed addition, perhaps 6.0-6.3 if the Heat round is still 210mm pen, or 6.7 when the heat round get fixed to Heat-fs with ~300mm pen.

2 hours ago, Duhchuy said:

This is a needed addition, perhaps 6.0-6.3 if the Heat round is still 210mm pen, or 6.7 when the heat round get fixed to Heat-fs with ~300mm pen.

BR is adjustable.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Sirchby said:

Japan also has one, it seems.

IMG_7049.jpg

Could be used for Japanese tank tree at rank IV in the tank destroyer line

Edited by Capt_D_K_Marcus

5 hours ago, Capt_D_K_Marcus said:

Could be used for Japanese tank tree at rank IV in the tank destroyer line

Sounds like a premium to me :yes_yes_yes::kamikadze:

16 hours ago, Results45 said:

Sounds like a premium to me :yes_yes_yes::kamikadze:

Nah, Japan needs something for their T4 TD line.

+1.I know it will come pre butchered and castrated,but at least it would be better than the T95.

On 2017-5-22 at 10:23 AM, Sirchby said:

snip

Let's see if we can use weeaboo whine for something useful.

Posted (edited)

+1 personally think this would be a good premium however there are too many premiums already so im on the fence between premium and regular tree lol, i personally think its got to the point where certain premiums in game should no longer be sold make some premiums rare especially in T4 which is the biggest culprit for the mass premium lines.

Edited by *swanseasean96

On 24/5/2017 at 11:52 AM, Naam54673 said:

Let's see if we can use weeaboo whine for something useful.

Perfect.

Dev Server Update 1.69.2.15:

90 mm M348 shell shaped changed from HEAT to HEAT-FS

Penetration changed with following number:

00°: 210 mm   >   305 mm

30°: 181 mm   >   264 mm

60°: 104 mm   >   152 mm

It's lit

Posted (edited)

On 5/23/2017 at 9:53 AM, Retry said:

Nah, Japan needs something for their T4 TD line.

Japan already has the 120mm Chi-Ha SPG, Ka-To, Type 5 Ho-Ri, and additional Type 60 SPRGs foing for it:

Spoiler

15091905535452453.png

Edited by Results45

On 4/18/2017 at 6:25 PM, Conraire said:

YIbTW5W.jpg

The above images are all cuts from "M10 and M36 Tank Destroyers 1942-53." S J Zaloga, Osprey Publishing. 

This is an early post war M36B2, prior to the conversion to the M3A1 gun by the Korean War.  Again this also displays the E9 wide track suspension that they were commonly upgraded with.  From TM 9-734, 1950.  90mm Guns M3 and M3A1 For Combat Vehicles.

555741T.jpg

As far as Ammunition load goes you're looking at the same as the M46 Patton.  M318, M82, M304 or M332, and M348. 

From OP:

---

Here's French RBCEO M36B2 with additional .30 cal MG

CA3OJN6.jpg

---

Disclaimer: everything I say is in regard to RB battles

I think the M36B2 with roof armor, better tracks / suspension, M4A2 chassis (slightly faster than M4A3 chassis), and M3A1 gun capable of firing HEAT-FS would be a good regular tree addition at 6.7.  I agree with previous statements that a TD should generally have access to better guns shortly before neighboring tanks, and this still holds true at 6.7.  Keep in mind that the only US tank at 6.7 with 300mm pen is the M46 with the recently fixed HEAT-FS – although I'd rather it doesn't happen, there's a growing consensus that the M46 may be up tiered back to its original 7.0 now.  

Another option:  give us the French one as a premium until French tank tree is added to game...

Just my 2 cents.

10 hours ago, Flightless_Bird said:

I think the M36B2 with roof armor, better tracks / suspension, M4A2 chassis (slightly faster than M4A3 chassis), and M3A1 gun capable of firing HEAT-FS would be a good regular tree addition at 6.7.  I agree with previous statements that a TD should generally have access to better guns shortly before neighboring tanks, and this still holds true at 6.7.  Keep in mind that the only US tank at 6.7 with 300mm pen is the M46 with the recently fixed HEAT-FS – although I'd rather it doesn't happen, there's a growing consensus that the M46 may be up tiered back to its original 7.0 now.  

That depends.

It's flexible from 6.3 to 6.7 following the Patton's BR.

10 hours ago, Flightless_Bird said:

Another option:  give us the French one as a premium until French tank tree is added to game...

Just my 2 cents.

Japan & Italy also used one post-war.

Right, now the M46 is conveniently at 7.0 BR after M348 HEAT-FS change makes a significant outcome in the game.