CPU governor schedutil doesn't perform well with AMD/Phenom II

Lurq

Hi!

Just wanted to address one finding. After my distro (arch) change default CPU governor from ondemand to schedutil I started to get lag/stutter in War Thunder. I did some lazy testing/benchmarks with War Thunder and auto-compare in phoronix-test-suite. In most tests schedutil performed worse than ondemand and performance. In the War Thunder benchmarks ondemand performed a tiny bit better than performance. The differences in fps was really small, but the big difference is how the game lags/stutters with schedutil and not with ondemand and performance.

I'm not posting any actual result, since I just did some lazy testing. I just hope this might help others with the same problem.

Cheers!

medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm this.

Tried in my machine and i get 39 fps in performance, about 38fps on ondemand, 33 on conservative and in schedutil and  about 26 on powersave.

I think that gaijin could check this and issue a warning that one should switch to ondemand if schedutil is being used

This also proves that warthunder also likes CPU :)

medal medal

I'm certain that this a problem with the governor for some generations of AMD CPUs. So the distributions should select governor depending on CPU, not really an Issue for Gaijin. The reason behind schedutil was to help with performance on Intel CPUs. I've seen general test with Ryzen where ondemand performance a bit better than schedutil, but the question is if schedutil still gives stutters in games even with Ryzen. Maybe there should be a list with tips and tricks here on the forum: :)

@higuita7 What CPU are you using? Sadly enough warthunder only likes 1,5 core :P

medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...