Gloster F.5/34  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to see this aircraft ingame?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. As a premium or as a standard tree vehicle?

• Premium
    • Standard Tree

The Gloster F.5/34 was a prototype aircraft developed in the late 1930s to meet the need for a rugged single seat fighter aircraft that could meet the needs of the British Empire in the hotter climates of the far east. Gloster's answer was the F.5/34. The aircraft was powered by the 840hp Mercury IX radial engine, the same engine used on the earlier Gloster Gladiator. The F.5 was armed similarly to other RAF fighters of the time, featuring a battery of eight .303 browning machine guns in the wings. Like most other modern fighters it featured a retractable undercarriage, and the canopy had very good visibility compared to the Hurricane and Spitfire.

The F.5 had issues during development due to Gloster's previous commitments with Gladiator production. Its debut was delayed until 1938 for this reason. The prototype fighter was in competition with the Bristol Type 146, Martin Baker M.B.2, and Vickers Venom. Pilots enjoyed the Gloster F.5. praising its short takeoff run, better climb rate, improved visibility, and good high speed aileron control. In the end though none of the designs made it past the prototype stage, since the Spitfire and Hurricane were both already in production and overall better machines than all of the competing aircraft.

The Gloster fighter may be a footnote in history, but it doesn't have to be that way ingame. The Gloster F.5/34 would make an effective low tier British tier 1 fighter aircraft. The maneuverability combined with the effective armament of 8 .303 machine guns and respectable speed would make it an opponent to be feared. If added it would fit well between the Gloster Gladiator and the Hurricane Mk I in the tech tree. Being a prototype it could just as easily fit as a low tier premium aircraft if that's the route they would want to take. 

Images below

gloster534-6.jpg?h=gxk_Vev1nM3ZrFifUp60I

10985L-1.jpg

gloster534-5.jpg

f5-34_2.jpg

UK1 K5604 Gloster F5-34 PhilButlerColl.jpg

The aircraft is often compared to the A6M or MC 200 and I can certainly see the similarities. Would you support this fighter being added ingame?

Performance

Crew: 1

Length: 32 ft (9.76 m)

Wingspan: 38 ft 2 in (11.63 m)

Height: 10 ft 2 in (3.09 m)

Wing area: 230 ft² (21.4 m²)

Empty weight: 4,190 lb (1,900 kg)

Loaded weight: 5,400 lb (2,449 kg)

Powerplant: 1 × Bristol Mercury IX nine-cylinder radial engine, 840 hp (627 kW)

Performance

Maximum speed: 275 knots (316 mph, 509 km/h at) at 16,000 ft (4,875 m)

Service ceiling: 32,500 ft [5] (9,910 m)

Wing loading: 23.5 lb/ft² (88.8 kg/m²)

Power/mass: 0.156 hp/lb (0.256 kW/kg)

Time to 20,000 ft (6,100 m): 11 min

Armament

Guns: Eight 0.303-in (7.7-mm) Browning machine guns

Sources: http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/gloster_f5-34.php

Bowyer, Michael J.F. Interceptor Fighters for the Royal Air Force, 1935-45

James, Derek N. Gloster Aircraft since 1917.

Edited by Bobertman
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Eight 30 caliber machine guns for a tier I? Kind if a little overpowered, but the Hurricane Mk I is also at tier I so yea. Also do you have any pictures of the cockpit? 

medal

I don't have a problem with this being implemented as a premium, but rank 1 is just too low.  Eight .303s is more than enough to shred just about any fighter it would encounter, and its performance is VERY similar to the A6M2 (on top of the coincidentally similar appearance), so it should have no trouble competing at rank 2 with a competent pilot.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal