OddballE8

The problem with Assault Mode.

75 posts in this topic

It helps if people listen to/understand the advice being given in-game.

The first thing players need to understand is that it's not about getting the most kills, but about the team shooting all the enemy down before they bomb.I quickly realised that once a plane has dropped its load it's not good for the team to keep chasing them. I try to tell people this in the game but so many carry on chasing them, thinking they are getting eas kills. Perhaps it's a language thing? 

In the first few games I played I landed to repair, not really understanding that it was counter-productive, but I worked it out when I was having to push to 3500 metres!

I've honestly not yet noticed people not playing and trying. The quitting for the booster thing, though - yeah, occasionally there's one who appears and dies but tbh I think they aren't all doing that. Some genuinely load the mode by mistake. I did it yesterday, although I stuck it out in totally unsuitable aircraft!

Keep playing - that Gaijin altered the numbers so soon shows they are listening and care about this mode. It needs us giving feedback to help them get it right. Hopefully, they read this thread and others about the mode and think about what we say. 

I agree, but it is hard to get the message through to players,unless they are a member of a Squadron.

I ACTUALLY WON IT YESTERDAY!!!!

I accidentally qued for an assault instead of a normal match and ended up in a 2.7 match with my 2.7 p47 and we ACTUALLY WON!!!!. It literally came down to 4 houses left and we killed the last bomber as it was diving on the base.

25 min and only 3k rp and 25k lions to show for it. That is with premium plane and premium account

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, *FORDcobraGT500 said:

I ACTUALLY WON IT YESTERDAY!!!!

I accidentally qued for an assault instead of a normal match and ended up in a 2.7 match with my 2.7 p47 and we ACTUALLY WON!!!!. It literally came down to 4 houses left and we killed the last bomber as it was diving on the base.

25 min and only 3k rp and 25k lions to show for it. That is with premium plane and premium account

Oh, is the reward so low at Tier 2? I always play this mode with my Hunter (=BR 9.0). I always get 6480 RP and about 55k lions for winning, with premium account but without talisman. That's okay. It's actually higher than what I could farm reliably in PvP, as long as my Hunter is stock. (But only IF we win. Even with 10 players, losing is totally possible in PvE mode.)

Edited by __sparrow__

Posted (edited)

On 4/13/2017 at 0:17 PM, __sparrow__ said:

Oh, is the reward so low at Tier 2? I always play this mode with my Hunter (=BR 9.0). I always get 6480 RP and about 55k lions for winning, with premium account but without talisman. That's okay. It's actually higher than what I could farm reliably in PvP, as long as my Hunter is stock. (But only IF we win. Even with 10 players, losing is totally possible in PvE mode.)

I usually get the same rewards in my Ta-154 with and a Premium account if I get at least 1-2 kills. I've played the PvE maybe three times a week and I do best in my Ta-154, Hs-129 B3 ( if I stay at bomber altitude ), and He-219. I used to face Do-217s s a lot but now only face G8Ns. One pass and the whole team has to respawn due to pilot snipe or immediate fire. 

Edited by Hetzer_Hammer

I can't believe i actually won a match. Absolutely nuts. I used the Ki-102 against Wellingtons, if you wish to know.

Defensive fire could be nerfed a little. I had a match where my Me 410 pilot was sniped five times in a row by a Ki 49. It's a bit ridiculous for a plane that is supposed to be armored to protect it against gunners in the first place.

I still see most players using totally unsuitable aircraft for this mode. Then they moan in team chat about how they're going to lose. 

It's pretty boring to play, win or lose but you may as well use something that gives you kills and half a chance. If you're stuck with a bad team try for your kill record to relieve the boredom.

Posted (edited)

I give up on assault.

I thought PVE would be relaxing and fun but it's even more frustrating than PVP simply for the fact that it's deliberately frustrating by design, apparently Assault is meant to be a frustrating series of loses.

Armored Warfare PVE win ratio: 80-90%

War Thudner PVE win ratio: 10-20%

It's clear that one is meant to be fun and the other not.

Ah well, I thought I'd finally be able to get my PVP and PVE fix in a single game but I guess I'll still have to go play Armored Warfare whenever I feel like having some PVE fun.

Edited by VampShogun

I just want to know what is point of this mode? i have played it after some time hoping its patched and maybe its better now, well i was wrong. After 4th pilot got sniped with G8N i literally rage quit, after match was over i have wondered how much i lost lions, well it was something like -10k SL, and thats until i left, if i stayed i would lost much more, It is just not worth it and not fun to play for one booster.

It's a new mode, they have tweaked it and will continue to. It's got a decent-ish reward so to make it easy would be daft unless they lowered the reward. I still enjoy it - despite the moans from people who simply don't, or won't, understand how to play it. I've had about a dozen wins, almost all with jets, 4 times against G8's. 

9 hours ago, Wispo said:

I just want to know what is point of this mode? i have played it after some time hoping its patched and maybe its better now, well i was wrong. After 4th pilot got sniped with G8N i literally rage quit, after match was over i have wondered how much i lost lions, well it was something like -10k SL, and thats until i left, if i stayed i would lost much more, It is just not worth it and not fun to play for one booster.

If you're playing the mode to gain SL you're doing it wrong. Especially in tier 4 and 5, where it's hard to get lions in every other mode.

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Plane_in_Vain said:

It's a new mode, they have tweaked it and will continue to. It's got a decent-ish reward so to make it easy would be daft unless they lowered the reward. I still enjoy it - despite the moans from people who simply don't, or won't, understand how to play it. I've had about a dozen wins, almost all with jets, 4 times against G8's. 

I wouldn't mind if they lowered the rewards as long as the mode was not frustrating to play, that's the isssue, not the rewards.

1. Current situation => The rewards are very bad on average and it's frustrating
  2. Lowering the rewards but increasing the win ration to ~80+%  (while keeping the average reward the same) would turn Assault into

=>  The rewards are very bad on average but it's relaxing

I'd take the second case any day when it comes to PVE.

Edited by VampShogun

33 minutes ago, VampShogun said:

I wouldn't mind if they lowered the rewards as long as the mode was not frustrating to play, that's the isssue, not the rewards.

I certainly don't play it for the rewards - decent ones are few and far between so I do it for fun. And bizarrely I do find it fun.

However, the best thing Gaijin could do to help is remove the runway. Last game I played, at least 4 players kept landing and repairing. You'll not be surprised to learn we lost very early...

48 minutes ago, VampShogun said:

There are just two frustrating aspects of this mode I find frustrating. One is the accuracy of the bombers, which can probably be adjusted to make them less deadly. The other is the poor quality of teams, but that isn't exclusive to the mode anyway.

I do play for the rewards, specifically the RP. It's immensely helpful to grind basic mods on a stock plane before you even consider going to PvP mode, or spade it altogether if you're patient enough, so I don't mind losing lions (again, tier 4 and 5 are designed to drain your lions in every mode). I'd probably lose SL more if I went to grind mods in PvP with an uncompetitive plane, and that would be much more frustrating.

I've won the last 2 days with random players. You need maximum firepower to kill bombers quickly. If you have gunpods strap them on, 190, 109, 410, the Uhu or Moskito are the planes I use most.

On 3/24/2017 at 2:16 AM, hatorihina said:

Agreed. This mode is fun but will starve out like enduring boredoom...I meant "confrontation".
This mode was promising and could be a hell of fun and challenge but gajin just slept and forgot to give this mode a point. I just used it to bomb-rush enemy bases, ignoring repaircosts and loving RP-rivers which allowed me to research jets in no time.

Well, this mode actually is fun and challenging.
But first: Teammates happens to be useless junk sometimes. They even follow bombers which dropped their bombs! Teams with Planes which use 12,7mm guns are weaak. For those flying fortress in the air real cannons are needed.

Second: There is no time to fly to the bombers, kill them and attack the next wave unless you bail out and restart at 3600 alt again and again which will be a charge at your silver lions amount.

Third: Bombers are terrible accurate, in fact they are like computer based AA systems today, they even hit me when I am flying from above trough their formation with 900kmh and more, no human beeing on earth would be able to even react to such a quick comet.
But of course, AI gunners are able to do....
This is why I am afraid the PVE tank mode of this here will fail even harder. I mean we´ve seen it once when this mode first started, snipeshots from over 1.2 km away are no problem for the computer while driving.

No doubt, AI tanks hitting me through 1.2 km of wooded forest and on the move. It's just too much...

Have the howitzers been buffed? They seem to be doing considerably more damage in the last few days. 

Just seems like a silly impossible arcade mode in a game which if it is to stand out from WoT needs to be less arcade

What I like about WT is it feels much more like you are actually in real tanks (not arcade mode obviously) and I would love a decent SIM PvE mode as I am frankly burnt out for random PvP battles.

Posted (edited)

Well the biggest issues with ground forces tank battles are the utter garbage spawns for one 0 cover when you spawn facing 7 tanks utter crap your dead before you can even move. 2nd the maps are unfinished and need lots of work shouldn't have to stay in spawn to hide behind cover the only map that is decent is Ardennes it has cover away from the spawn. 3rd: Way to many waves spawn getting shot from 3 sides is a bit fail. 4th: Enemy air cover is just a bigger stupid joke even with AA tanks on the team its a utter joke. 5th The AI needs lots of work 4 tanks should not focus one player the whole match and they do now. 6th: for 1 hour of game play and to loose your better off capping one spawn in PVP shooting 1 tank and afking the rest of the battle you make more in 10 minutes of gameplay in PVP then you do 1 hour of PVE. You can kill over 30 tanks in PVE and get really crappy rewards some scaling would be nice in PVE.

Edited by Devils_Toybox

Here is my experience with PvE mode in War Thunder.

Air PvE:
- Get in a game and guide all my team the entire game because if i don't they will do whatever they want and lose the game.

- Too much work for little to no rewards.
- Always the same thing. (same objective, same enemies, same teammates that don't know how to fly a plane).

Ground PvE:
- Respawn in a tank, kill tanks, die for a A.I. Plane.
- Respawn in a SPAA to kill planes, die for a 2km shot from a tank.
- Respawn in another tank because your first one is in cooldown, die for a plane.
- Respawn in a SPAA to kill planes, die for a plane before i can look around to shot back.

PvE?? Sounds fun but nah thx.

The recent nerfing of the base on the Norway map is a real problem. Only 67 HP means that, if you get a team who either don't understand that the howitzers are dangerous, or even worse, think only 2 planes should attack them, you have lost before you know it. 

My plea to players is this: it's not about getting the most air kills, it's about winning the map. On Norway, as many as possible need to attack the hows in their first wave. Please think of the team, not yourself! Ta.

Devs - do you think you could do something about squads joining Assault at 6.7+ with players flying 1.0 planes, indeed any plane outside the parameters? It ruins the game when 2-3 join like this and virtually guarantees a defeat.