OddballE8

The problem with Assault Mode.

75 posts in this topic

(and this goes for both air and ground, so don't move this to air)

The current version of Assault mode that we have is broken, IMHO.

For any PvE mode to work, it needs to accomplish one of three things (only one is needed, not all three):

1. Relaxing and fun.
    This is what Gaijin claims their new game mode is supposed to be. A relaxing warm-up or a place for new players to train their skills. But it's definately failing on that part. Because it's very stressfull right now. The waves are plenty enough that unless you have a well coordinated team (and how many randoms are that?) you're just not going to make it. And this seems to be what's happening. People are complaining that they simply can't complete an assault game because the team doesn't work well. And that is an indication that it's anything but relaxing.
  2. Rewarding.
    This is kind of the route that Armored Warfare took (along with the 3rd option), in that you almost make as much from doing PvE as you do playing PvP. But then it has to be balanced with being difficult. You can't have an easy and relaxing PvE game mode that gives tons of RP, because then nobody will play PvP. Right now, Assault is definately not this. Half an hours gameplay and you'll end up with about as much RP as you'd get during a 10 minute long mediocre PvP game. Not exactly rewarding.
  3. Varied and engaging.
    This i pretty much what AW did. Instead of just having wave after wave of enemy mindlessly crashing into the players, you have AI attacking at certain scripted or triggered moments from either random or at least varied directions. It's basically a Single Player Mission but with Co-op and a bit of a story. 

If Assault mode is to survive in WT, it needs to be one of these.

I'd suggest the first one since it's the easiest one.
Maby add one or two more bases for the AI to bomb so that you don't need a well oiled team to take down the enemies.
Or maby you could simply start the bombers farther away or make them come in at a more spaced out interval.

Either way, something needs to be done about Assault if you want it to succeed. 
Right now, there's barely enough people in line to do a run each time I queue up to play. Doesn't matter if it's prime time or not, there just simply seems to be no interest in the game mode.
And that's because of the reasons I've mentioned above.

Problem are those OP Lancaster gunners more than anything.  For 7.7's they seem to be really accurate and hit really hard compared other game modes...

9 hours ago, Liten_Gamer said:

The only reason to play AM right now is to get the daily reward, your 99,9% guaranteed to loose the match so you won't bother to play it more than one time a day.

Yeah, I've noticed plenty of players quitting after their first plane gets shot down (presumably because they don't bother putting more planes in the lineup) just to get the booster.

10 hours ago, Liten_Gamer said:

The only reason to play AM right now is to get the daily reward, your 99,9% guaranteed to loose the match so you won't bother to play it more than one time a day.

The question is, is it really a reward?

Until today's patch, the SL booster you got barely covered up for the ammo you used in the PvE match and repairs for your shot down planes.

RP boosters? You likely would have end up with more progression if you played 2 PvP matches instead of (1 Pve + 1 PvP with Booster).

I completely agree with OP. This mode is premature, and needs to emphasize one of the aspects above to have any meaning.

With that said, I still (want to) believe there is potential for this mode if we have unique, objective driven missions (even minor stories like that fly low to avoid detection event maybe, let me dream please) instead of PvP with AI.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, *walfreyydo said:

Problem are those OP Lancaster gunners more than anything.  For 7.7's they seem to be really accurate and hit really hard compared other game modes...

It only seems that way because they are in a tight formation with overlapping fire, just like IRL.

The Lancasters are easy to kill, their gunners are meh compared to the GN8's.

They're built like tanks and even 20mm's barely scratch the paint and their 20mm AI gunners are stupid OP.

Edited by rayrayblues

If they gave people a good bit of breathing time in between each wave it would be a lot better than here is a wave here and there is a wave oh look ground targets and another wave. 

the waves needs to be timed so there is enough time for people repair and rearm and also move the AI spawns back a bit to make it a bit more fair. Even with Jets i have lost 

the Assault mode it needs to be balanced out so players can stand a winning chance. 

Agree completely. I've mentioned in another thread that the single-player content such as 'the hardest day' mission is far more immersive and feels far more like a PVE type of content. I just wish they'd let you select your ammo belts/convergence in that mode.. it's so frustrating not being able too. They have good Single player content that's been out for a very long time. They could have recycled a lot of that content into the assault mode to add variety with a few tweaks.  

14 hours ago, dannyGrim said:

Agree completely. I've mentioned in another thread that the single-player content such as 'the hardest day' mission is far more immersive and feels far more like a PVE type of content. I just wish they'd let you select your ammo belts/convergence in that mode.. it's so frustrating not being able too. They have good Single player content that's been out for a very long time. They could have recycled a lot of that content into the assault mode to add variety with a few tweaks.  

Most of the Single Player content is broken on PS4, at least on my machine anyways.

I have reported a bug with this mode. 

The repair cost is not half what it would be based on your vehicle.  If you die once, which I usually do, flying the dual mustang with gun pod, my respawn cost was 8640 compared to the max repair price (as far as I have it modded now) of 5000 SL which would mean a respawn cost of 2500 SL.

Check it out on the battle or economic message folder after a battle to make sure I am right.

I am losing silver lions even though I shoot down 15 to 20 planes and lose the game, I only earn 5600 silver lions. It is costing me to play this mode.  I will be very hesitant to play a mode that I am losing silver lions on.

Need RB version with rebalanced waves of enemies.

Posted (edited)

On 3/21/2017 at 11:15 PM, OddballE8 said:

(and this goes for both air and ground, so don't move this to air)

The current version of Assault mode that we have is broken, IMHO.

For any PvE mode to work, it needs to accomplish one of three things (only one is needed, not all three):

1. Relaxing and fun.
    This is what Gaijin claims their new game mode is supposed to be. A relaxing warm-up or a place for new players to train their skills. But it's definately failing on that part. Because it's very stressfull right now. The waves are plenty enough that unless you have a well coordinated team (and how many randoms are that?) you're just not going to make it. And this seems to be what's happening. People are complaining that they simply can't complete an assault game because the team doesn't work well. And that is an indication that it's anything but relaxing.
  2. Rewarding.
    This is kind of the route that Armored Warfare took (along with the 3rd option), in that you almost make as much from doing PvE as you do playing PvP. But then it has to be balanced with being difficult. You can't have an easy and relaxing PvE game mode that gives tons of RP, because then nobody will play PvP. Right now, Assault is definately not this. Half an hours gameplay and you'll end up with about as much RP as you'd get during a 10 minute long mediocre PvP game. Not exactly rewarding.
  3. Varied and engaging.
    This i pretty much what AW did. Instead of just having wave after wave of enemy mindlessly crashing into the players, you have AI attacking at certain scripted or triggered moments from either random or at least varied directions. It's basically a Single Player Mission but with Co-op and a bit of a story. 

If Assault mode is to survive in WT, it needs to be one of these.

I'd suggest the first one since it's the easiest one.
Maby add one or two more bases for the AI to bomb so that you don't need a well oiled team to take down the enemies.
Or maby you could simply start the bombers farther away or make them come in at a more spaced out interval.

Either way, something needs to be done about Assault if you want it to succeed. 
Right now, there's barely enough people in line to do a run each time I queue up to play. Doesn't matter if it's prime time or not, there just simply seems to be no interest in the game mode.
And that's because of the reasons I've mentioned above.

Aye. AW PvE mode is too easy, but that generally depended upon the difficult you selected. Hard mode was indeed hard without a coordinated team. So in fact AW PvE was a mix of all three items.

WT's PvE Assault is the "I don't care mode"; I lost roughly 20k simply flying out my Horton Ho229 with AA belts against wave after wave of G8Ns, only to see my teammates get shot down three at a time. For that effort, I got barely 5k credits.

A win in the mode will get you 33k credits and 3200 RP, but the problem is that winning is so difficult that it's not really worth the effort. The one time I've actually won in the mode was against lancasters, and even then it was a clutch game; the base had just 39 HP left and the waves spawned so quickly, with the bombers being so durable, that we essentially shot down the last five aircraft seconds before they were about to drop bombs and destroy the base.

At a minimum, aircraft durability needs to be reworked for the mode; fighters are too easy to kill while even light bombers can absorb ridiculous amounts of punishment. Spawn time between waves needs to be increased, because jets are the only aircraft that currently stand a chance of defeating several waves before one of them gets to the target. Anytime you roll with props, you're asking for an automatic game over by the fifth wave.

48 minutes ago, Solid_Snake01 said:

Need RB version with rebalanced waves of enemies.

I'd actually advocate for this, particularly for ground forces. With the present spawn mechanics we have for air assault arcade, it would be entirely possible to introduce an "assault the enemy lines mode or defend the objective mode" on a nation by nation basis, removing the HP system that AW uses and instead using a team spawn pool, where players have a limited number of vehicles that they can access, based on a total team pool as well as the vehicles they bring to the fight. Such missions could easily be based on actual historical events. For instance, a low tier mission for Japan could well be based on the Japanese assault on Corregidor, with players using BR 1.0-2.3 vehicles.

A Russian and German mission could be done for Stalingrad, while a US/Brit mission could be done in Normandy, Tunisia, or a Rhine-river crossing. Elements of existing maps could easily be taken and re-textured to accomadate these modes. It would make the mode rewarding and interesting, without sacrificing the speed or rewards of regular PvP.

Additionally, these missions could be used to flesh out alternate history scenarios (for instance, using BR 3.3-5.3 Japanese tanks to defend against an allied invasion), or a rendition of Operation Unthinkable for US/Brit/Ger/Russia.

Edited by Nomad_Gaming

Agreed. This mode is fun but will starve out like enduring boredoom...I meant "confrontation".
This mode was promising and could be a hell of fun and challenge but gajin just slept and forgot to give this mode a point. I just used it to bomb-rush enemy bases, ignoring repaircosts and loving RP-rivers which allowed me to research jets in no time.

Well, this mode actually is fun and challenging.
But first: Teammates happens to be useless junk sometimes. They even follow bombers which dropped their bombs! Teams with Planes which use 12,7mm guns are weaak. For those flying fortress in the air real cannons are needed.

Second: There is no time to fly to the bombers, kill them and attack the next wave unless you bail out and restart at 3600 alt again and again which will be a charge at your silver lions amount.

Third: Bombers are terrible accurate, in fact they are like computer based AA systems today, they even hit me when I am flying from above trough their formation with 900kmh and more, no human beeing on earth would be able to even react to such a quick comet.
But of course, AI gunners are able to do....
This is why I am afraid the PVE tank mode of this here will fail even harder. I mean we´ve seen it once when this mode first started, snipeshots from over 1.2 km away are no problem for the computer while driving.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, OddballE8 said:

Yeah, I've noticed plenty of players quitting after their first plane gets shot down (presumably because they don't bother putting more planes in the lineup) just to get the booster.

Or option b) that was their best plane and the damned matchmaker put them in an impossible position again.

On 3/22/2017 at 4:19 AM, Liten_Gamer said:

your 99,9% guaranteed to loose the match

Wait, you can win?

I have a question for anyone who may know about this. where is the tank assault mode. they said something about a week ago saying it was being worked on because it was causing performance issues or no not a week ago the sunday after the patch released. i have posted on multiple news posts on their site and have gotten nothing in terms of a response. i am finally ready to post here however I am afraid I may get blocked for asking where is something they said would be in the game then said update we are trying to fix it and gave no further explanation

Was posted in News that Assault would be available for "single" player mode. This was even stated in the Thunder Show. Is this even enabled yet, or is it still being tweaked in development?

:)

Just had my first win. The changes they've made to spawning whatever vehicle you want to use from your line-up, regardless of how many times the gunners have chewed up that plane before make it 'pretty easy'.

'Pretty easy' doesn't take into consideration the random mob alongside you but if a few of them have skills and use planes that can one-shot bombers then it's quite doable. 

A squad should have no worries at all.

Yeah I finally won my first game yesterday. 3 or 4 guys with Yak9's ( I was in a P47 ) and we cleaned up pretty easy. Tried again today and my first game I saw some guy in a Peashooter, I knew it was all over from the get go. Got my booster and split.

But being able to keep using the same plane over and over is a big plus.

I´ve won my first game today! Well, with the new respawn mechanic it gets really simple to catch up with bomber-waves after destroying attacker waves. Thanks gajin, was necessary indeed.

But 6400 RP with premium account...its a bit low for such a amount of time and effort.

17 hours ago, hatorihina said:

I´ve won my first game today! Well, with the new respawn mechanic it gets really simple to catch up with bomber-waves after destroying attacker waves. Thanks gajin, was necessary indeed.

But 6400 RP with premium account...its a bit low for such a amount of time and effort.

what BR, with what aircraft?

I have noticed that the mode got pretty boring pretty quickly to be honest. I enjoy PVE missions but this zombie survival mode is somewhat boring.

I mean the fighters don't break and engage, they just blindly fly to target. If the fighters would drop early and break to engage it might e a bit more fun.

6 minutes ago, Fallenkezef said:

I have noticed that the mode got pretty boring pretty quickly to be honest. I enjoy PVE missions but this zombie survival mode is somewhat boring.

I mean the fighters don't break and engage, they just blindly fly to target. If the fighters would drop early and break to engage it might e a bit more fun.

I noticed that too. The issue is, of course, that not only is the mode relatively boring, but it's so difficult as to be almost unwinnable.

If I can win a game with a random team it really can't be that difficult. Get your squad together and get them in cannon equipped fighters. By 'cannon' I don't mean 20mm. Again, I'll suggest the Hurricane Mk IV in a 2.3/2.7 line up - not that you even need a line up anymore.

3 target bombers and 1 on the fighter waves (it's really not a challenge for all 4 to hit both fighters & bombers - especially now that you don't have to land to repair) Let the randoms chip in with the howitzers and wherever else where they can.

Plenty of time to reload/respawn between waves if you have to. Plenty of time to position yourself for the best kill opportunities. 

These games are lost because a lot of ppl just quit/land to repair/don't know about the changes/try to use their favourite plane that simply doesn't have the firepower to bring down a bomber quickly/end up being spread all over the map within 2 waves (how or why will forever remain a mystery)/just don't know how to play the mode/just want the booster for taking part.

Use your squad or sensible players and you'll  be surprised.

4 hours ago, Nomad_Gaming said:

what BR, with what aircraft?

Me262 A 1a
I thinks its one of the best planes ingame to play this mode.