AC IV Thunderbolt BR

5 minutes ago, MaximumSomething said:

No it is armour equivalent to a vertical plate of that thickness. So as the slope increases the armour thickness can be reduced provided its resistance to attack doesn't fall below that number.

huh.. 50mm at 30°....i've always thought it be more than that. Since T54s are 100mm thick(200-210mm Los thickness)

im gonna have to check the AC again later.

11 minutes ago, *Baconator100012 said:

huh.. 50mm at 30°....i've always thought it be more than that. Since T54s are 100mm thick(200-210mm Los thickness)

im gonna have to check the AC again later.

It's about 58mm effective thickness

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

23 minutes ago, Razielkaine said:

It's about 58mm effective thickness

It's cast armour so there will be variations in thickness, and its grain structure won't be quite as good as rolled armour, but shouldn't that be around 120mm?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

27 minutes ago, MaximumSomething said:

It's cast armour so there will be variations in thickness, and its grain structure won't be quite as good as rolled armour, but shouldn't that be around 120mm?

Nope 58mm but the game modifier for cast armour is something like 96%.  In real life however Australian armour from memory had more zink in it making it more resistant to  spelling and cracking etc.  I don't think this is modelled in game

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, Razielkaine said:

Nope 58mm but the game modifier for cast armour is something like 96%.  In real life however Australian armour from memory had more zink in it making it more resistant to  spelling and cracking etc.  I don't think this is modelled in game

How on earth do you get 58mm light of sight thickness from 50mm at 66 degrees?

• Upvote 1
medal medal

2 minutes ago, MaximumSomething said:

How on earth do you get 58mm light of sight thickness from 50mm at 66 degrees?

Because I'm an idiot that was using from the vertical not horizontal.  The stats should be 51 mm 24 degrees from the horizontal which as you said should be 125mm effective. Sorry about that.

• 4 weeks later...

The tanks turret ring was specifically designed to accommodate and foreseeable gun at the time. Guns such as the 3.7 inch aa were considered as potentials for future development. That the same gun used in the tortoise.

1 hour ago, Razielkaine said:

The tanks turret ring was specifically designed to accommodate and foreseeable gun at the time. Guns such as the 3.7 inch aa were considered as potentials for future development. That the same gun used in the tortoise.

well did they ever make a version with a better gun than the 17pdr?

medal medal medal medal medal

I can't tell if this discussion is about the AC IV's BR or it's implementation. So il just give my two cents; this tank is among one of my favorites in the british tree. It made my grind bearable and has some nifty quirks that gave me cheap laughs from time to time.

Armor- Better than a sherman; not saying much though since you're rolling with the big boi's @5.0 and will be stalking the big cats for the most part. Slightly angled it can bounce 88/75/76 rounds while the stronk and completely historically accurate 85 MM APHE rounds cheeze it (Sarcasm) Now the former two are pretty subject to RNG and the vertical angle of your hull; the UFP being a tad bit lower on the Z axis or your opponent being elevated is going to allow pretty much anything at the tier to insta-gib you. The most important weakspot is the vision port for the driver; as unlike the rest of the hull it's @90 and can be penetrated by even SPAA (At which point GG no RE as they slaughter you from the side) Find a nice building; wedge that slit into the corner and make the tears flow.

Firepower- It's a 17-PDR gun; no sabot. So you get AP,APC,APBC solid shots as your ammo; i remember tackling flakbusses pre-hullbreak with this thing. Sniping Crew while no longer needed is still a capital idea; as many vehicles can be defeated by 1-2 shots into areas where 3 crew are lined up. Post AP buff this thing is a joy; center mass with APBC will kill T-34, PZ IV, StuG, Shermans, and the japanese tanks with a single shot. KV-1,KV-2, IS-1, IS-2, Tiger H are going to be your hardest targets; though most times will become your priority when top tier facing these enemies with the only gun in the match that can pen them. These will make you cry if you fire AP into them; especially the KV-1 with it's 30 degree angles. APBC won't do much better; point blank the best bet is a shot to the transmission if you have a way around them. Or if one appears in front of you; a single shot to the gunner. Angled Tiger and Panther will also make you wish the soviets with their glitch guns were on your side; on the Tiger i tend to never directly engage if they havent seen me. Wait for them to focus on a different target; then smash a round into the center of their side.

Mobility- Not much to say here; cross country it's suprisingly nimble. Even capable of drifting and rapidly turning to the left or right without losing too much speed; on rougher terrain or incline it suffers. On city streets this thing is a speed demon; only T-34, Hellcat and Light tanks will have nearly the straight line speeds.

My final assessment

5.0 is perfectly ok for the vehicle; @4.7 it would face most of the same opponents while @3.7 the frontal armor would become scary to anyone who is not the germans. The gun is more than capable with dealing with whatever targets are presented and the mobility i would say is "Above average" for a medium tank of it's bracket. Stay calm, keeping your eyes peeled and not being aggressive will pay dividends.

Edited by IOC_000
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, IOC_000 said:

I can't tell if this discussion is about the AC IV's BR or it's implementation. So il just give my two cents; this tank is among one of my favorites in the british tree. It made my grind bearable and has some nifty quirks that gave me cheap laughs from time to time.

Armor- Better than a sherman; not saying much though since you're rolling with the big boi's @5.0 and will be stalking the big cats for the most part. Slightly angled it can bounce 88/75/76 rounds while the stronk and completely historically accurate 85 MM APHE rounds cheeze it (Sarcasm) Now the former two are pretty subject to RNG and the vertical angle of your hull; the UFP being a tad bit lower on the Z axis or your opponent being elevated is going to allow pretty much anything at the tier to insta-gib you. The most important weakspot is the vision port for the driver; as unlike the rest of the hull it's @90 and can be penetrated by even SPAA (At which point GG no RE as they slaughter you from the side) Find a nice building; wedge that slit into the corner and make the tears flow.

Firepower- It's a 17-PDR gun; no sabot. So you get AP,APC,APBC solid shots as your ammo; i remember tackling flakbusses pre-hullbreak with this thing. Sniping Crew while no longer needed is still a capital idea; as many vehicles can be defeated by 1-2 shots into areas where 3 crew are lined up. Post AP buff this thing is a joy; center mass with APBC will kill T-34, PZ IV, StuG, Shermans, and the japanese tanks with a single shot. KV-1,KV-2, IS-1, IS-2, Tiger H are going to be your hardest targets; though most times will become your priority when top tier facing these enemies with the only gun in the match that can pen them. These will make you cry if you fire AP into them; especially the KV-1 with it's 30 degree angles. APBC won't do much better; point blank the best bet is a shot to the transmission if you have a way around them. Or if one appears in front of you; a single shot to the gunner. Angled Tiger and Panther will also make you wish the soviets with their glitch guns were on your side; on the Tiger i tend to never directly engage if they havent seen me. Wait for them to focus on a different target; then smash a round into the center of their side.

Mobility- Not much to say here; cross country it's suprisingly nimble. Even capable of drifting and rapidly turning to the left or right without losing too much speed; on rougher terrain or incline it suffers. On city streets this thing is a speed demon; only T-34, Hellcat and Light tanks will have nearly the straight line speeds.

My final assessment

5.0 is perfectly ok for the vehicle; @4.7 it would face most of the same opponents while @3.7 the frontal armor would become scary to anyone who is not the germans. The gun is more than capable with dealing with whatever targets are presented and the mobility i would say is "Above average" for a medium tank of it's bracket. Stay calm, keeping your eyes peeled and not being aggressive will pay dividends.

Agree in most part, except for the kv's. Those are so easy to kill, you can easily penetrate any of their turrets frontally even through the mantle.  If you fire below the gun it's a one shot.  Side on side of the hull above the 2nd and 3rd road wheel will have the same effect.

1 hour ago, Razielkaine said:

Agree in most part, except for the kv's. Those are so easy to kill, you can easily penetrate any of their turrets frontally even through the mantle.  If you fire below the gun it's a one shot.  Side on side of the hull above the 2nd and 3rd road wheel will have the same effect.

If they are straight on then agreed; angled they can become difficult. Also RNG sometimes rolls their way; iv'e been quite surprised to see 17-pdr bounce off the UFP or the mantlet. So i rather go for a disabling shot than attempt to kill them outright in some instances (CQB) Not like i think they are OP or anything; their 76 can barely pen you most times. I just think many people underestimate what a skilled KV-1 driver can do to increase their chances of survival and then get frustrated.

59 minutes ago, IOC_000 said:

If they are straight on then agreed; angled they can become difficult. Also RNG sometimes rolls their way; iv'e been quite surprised to see 17-pdr bounce off the UFP or the mantlet. So i rather go for a disabling shot than attempt to kill them outright in some instances (CQB) Not like i think they are OP or anything; their 76 can barely pen you most times. I just think many people underestimate what a skilled KV-1 driver can do to increase their chances of survival and then get frustrated.

Angle the turret you can still go right through the side of the turret or anywhere on the turret ring. No need to even worry about the hulls angle.  6pdr can wreck kv's of any sort at range with a turret shot, 17pdr isn't going to have problems.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Razielkaine said:

Angle the turret you can still go right through the side of the turret or anywhere on the turret ring. No need to even worry about the hulls angle.  6pdr can wreck kv's of any sort at range with a turret shot, 17pdr isn't going to have problems.

Honestly if they angle the turret they're making it too easy; but hey thanks for the tips.

• 2 months later...

I bought this tank and I have yet to not be uptiered which is fine but my slopey armor is penned at any range by the IS2s and panthers I face. They don't even target weakpoints, just point click and I'm OHK. Maybe I suck but this doesn't feel deserving of such a high BR. It may only be 5.0 but I've never not played a match where I wasn't in a 5.7 game.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

• 3 months later...
On 08/04/2018 at 06:13, Razielkaine said:

Armor- Better than a sherman

Not anymore. My shermans can bounce a lot, while this thing can bounce only with extreme angles when the attacker miss the side.

• Confused 1
medal

• 6 months later...

it's a good little tank and it's gun is amazing. It does suffer from lack of engine power though but it's not too much of an issue. It's Br is fine imo, that turret can be trolly as hell, i've bounced so many shots from tigers. It's one of my favorite tanks in the game!

Edited by badwolf87
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

• 3 months later...

I've been playing it a lot of late and I think it is a blast to play.  It does make me wish they had modeled the AC I as well.  Rude MG mantlet and all.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2019 at 02:01, Valcour said:

I've been playing it a lot of late and I think it is a blast to play.  It does make me wish they had modeled the AC I as well.  Rude MG mantlet and all.

The AC I would be a nice 2.7 - 3.0. 

• Upvote 3
medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 23/12/2019 at 23:32, Yakrider said:

what was the reason for the BR change to 5.3?
I wanted to get this tank for a BR 5.0 lineup with the iron duke and wyvern, what are your experiences at 5.3?

I treat the AC IV a bit like a heavy, as in full up-tiers I am less likely to use it but near the top it is very capable.  However the Comet I has APDS which allows it to perform better in the full up-tier.

With this is in mind it does not matter so much that the Comet is pulled up 0.3 when you make a line-up with the two vehicles, and soon you can add the extremely capable A30 Challenger.  This is the same with the Wyvern, the 0.3 increase does not alter the effectiveness very much (You still can't turn!).  Though the 5.3 Seafire's and Seafury are much better options once you have unlocked and spaded them (They handle poorly without Flight performance mods, especially the Seafury, and all have poor armament until tier III mods are unlocked), unless you are purely there to dump your ordnance and run.

I admit I have not run a 5.0 lineup for a very long time, but the 5.3 with Comet and Duke as backups/first choice in an up-tier, with the Avenger to support (since it is amazing, if fragile, if you want a lower profile but less powerful alt to the A30) and maybe the AEC II because it is extremely versatile (if it ever comes as an event item grab it!  Was £15 not long ago but now the rarity hits £80+!), I find the 5.3 very good (dependent on map and team compositions).

MM wise I think it works ok, though in full up-tier you won't find the AC IV as effective; the 4.7-5.0's with it can keep your line-up workable.

So my 5.3 lineup is:  Duke / Challenger / AC IV / AEC II(or Avenger) / Crusader AA Mk II + Wyvern / Seafury / Seafire (Though personally my fury and fire are too weak from mods and I am not great with the Wyvern as find other air vehicles easily wreck it).

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal