WulfPack

Object 934: The Volgograd River Monster

kdF2QOU.jpg

In December of 1969, seeking a new Light Tank for the VDV, the Soviet Government formed following design specifications:

1. It should weigh no more than 15 tons
  2. Use the D-33 rifled 100-mm gun
  3. Ability to use the "Fagot" ATGM
  4. Have 12.7-mm to suppress infantry and helicopters
  5. Armor should be able to survive hits from 23-mm shells to the front and 12.7-mm to rest of it
  6. NBC protection 
  7. Have a top speed of 70 km/h on land and 12 km/h in the water

Those spections were sent to 3 or 4 design bureaus: Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant, Volgograd Tank Factory, Kurganmashzavod Machine Building, and possibly Mytishchi Machine Works, 

Chelyabinsk put forward the Object 788. However, since this design lacked preparation for the "Fagot", the water jets, and the self entrenchment tool, it was disqualified.

Kurgan's Object 685 and Volgograd's Object 934 were both deemed sufficient to continue work on them.

The first proposal for Object 934 weighed 14.7 tons and had more classical layout. The second proposal had an armored capsule for the crew that provided additional armor protection and additional NBC protection. Estimated weight was no more than 14.2 tons( This was later to be stated as an underestimation). Both options provided installation of the 100-MM gun and a 7.62 coax. The gun was capable of firing gun launched ATGMs. 

On December 7th, 1971, It was proposed to modify 934's primary armament. The two options considered were the rifled D-58 85-MM and the smoothbore 2A62 "Sting" 85-MM. Choosing one of these would have had 2 main advantages:

1. The weight was estimated to drop from 17.5 tons to 14.5 tons

2. The ammunition load would go from 40 to 44 rounds.

After comparing them to the 2A48-1, It was decided to stay with the 100-MM. It would provide great anti-armor performance and allow the use of ATGMs.

After they were both tested, neither received production orders and were cancelled. I'm not entirely sure why neither would get picked. I guessing it had to do with someone wanting a 125-MM on a light tank. The Object 685 would live on in the form of the BMP-3(The BMP-3 uses it's chassis). Object 934 would live on to be the test bed for various guns/turrets. Such as the 2A36 Giatsints-B 152-mms and the Nona-2. It would finally find a "home"  as the original chassis for the 2S31 Vena(Before they opted for the BMP-3 or BMD-3), the 2S25 Sprut-SD, and an experiential VDV SPG with a D-20 152-MM.

Object 934 using it's hydropneumatic suspension to lower it's height.

QOIi6qi.jpg

Designation:-

Object 934

Role:-

Support naval landings of the VDV,

Engage MBTs when needed,

Provide fire support for infantry

Combat weight: 17.5 tonnes 

Crew:-

3(Gunner, Commander, and Driver)

Dimensions:-

Length with gun forward: 30.9  feet

Width: 10.3 feet

Height: 7.3 feet

Mobility:-

Engine: 2B-06 outputting 400 horsepower

Top speed: 43.4 mph

Top speed in reverse: 13 mph

Armor:-

The hull and turret was made out of an aluminum alloy(ABT-101 or ABT-102). In order to meet the required protection, the turret front had steel plates on it.

Frontal arc was bulletproof against 23-mm shells, sides seem to be protected against 12.7, and the rear seems to protect against 7.62.

Armament:- 

2A48 100-mm(Due to this gun essentially a lightweight D-10T with a muzzle break, it can use the ammunition from the D-10T, D-10S, D-10TG, D-10T2S, BS-3, and the KS-19)

with a hydraulic stabilizer, laser range finder, and automatic loader.

Estimated maximum rate of fire:- 8-10 rounds per minute

(Estimation based on T-80B and Object 906) 

Estimated maximum horizontal guidance:- 24 Deg/s

(Estimation based on T-80B)

Estimated maximum vertical guidance:- 3.5-4.5 Deg/s

(Estimation based on T-80B and T-55AM)

Estimated maximum depression and elevation angles:- -4-+20

(Estimation based on Object 906 and 2S25)

Ammunition load was 40 rounds with 19 in the automatic loader.

PKT 7.62 coaxial MG

Ammunition load was 2,000 rounds.

NSV 12.7 AA 

Ammunition load was 500 rounds

or

"Strela-2" or "Strela-3" MANPAD

Ammunition load was 4 rounds.(wouldn't be usable in game)

In game this LT would be the end-game of the Soviet LT line. It would be capable of hurting all targets(thanks to possible ammo) but couldn't take a single hit its self. Should it find itself in a no win scenario, it has the speed to leave the area of engagement. 

Spoiler

KRfOm2C.jpg

Object_934.jpg

Spoiler

PWsblqN.jpg

VwNBegY.jpg

Spoiler

yftrb56.jpg

2UJ6Usd.jpg

Spoiler

IIe3KfB.jpg

Chart showing 934's maneuvering capabilities:

Spoiler

xlXQn2y.gif

Sources:-

http://otvaga2004.ru/tanki/istoriya-sozdaniya/nelegkaya-sudba-legkogo-tanka-legkij-tank-obekt-934-sudya/

https://topwar.ru/8597-legkiy-tank-obekt-934-sudya.html

http://www.tankinfo.ru/Country/SSSR/3/light/Ob_934.php

http://www.russianarms.ru/forum/index.php?topic=846.0

https://tech.wikireading.ru/7479

http://lib.rus.ec/b/414311/read

Edited by WulfPack
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 34
medal

I remember when you suggested the Object 685 as well, I think both would be good vehicles to have. Were the 85mms only proposed?

medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Mercedes4321 said:

I remember when you suggested the Object 685 as well, I think both would be good vehicles to have. Were the 85mms only proposed?

Yeah, they never mounted them.

medal

1 minute ago, WulfPack said:

Yeah, they never mounted them.

I see, good to know. Oh, and the Object 788 you mentioned looks pretty nice as well

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/russianarmor/images/b/bd/Object_788.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151223215231

medal medal medal medal

Why not :DD
How does it launch ATGMs?

medal medal medal medal medal medal

23 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

I see, good to know. Oh, and the Object 788 you mentioned looks pretty nice as well

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/russianarmor/images/b/bd/Object_788.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151223215231

Unfortunately 788 got cancelled pretty early on. There isn't much information available on it.

22 minutes ago, Asakaze said:

Why not :DD
How does it launch ATGMs?

The gun.

medal

Just now, WulfPack said:

The gun.

Nice

medal medal medal medal medal medal

I'd prefer the Object 685 that you had passed to developement earlier, but if that tank isn't considered then I'd like this.

So I assume the frontal armor is the same 60mm ABT-102 + 16mm RHA like the Obj. 685?

Edited by F7UCutlass
medal medal

2 minutes ago, Asakaze said:

Nice

3UBK10-1 gun launched ATGM.

iRBSUKy.png

1 minute ago, F7UCutlass said:

I'd prefer the Object 685 that you had passed to developement earlier, but if that tank isn't considered then I'd like this.

Same.

Edited by WulfPack
  • Upvote 2
medal

Same.

Plus Object 685 looks better, and lead to BMP-3 making it a sort of more used platform than Obj. 934. 

medal medal

Just now, F7UCutlass said:

Plus Object 685 looks better, and lead to BMP-3 making it a sort of more used platform than Obj. 934. 

934 got used as the chassis for 2S25, so it might make more sense in the LT line.

medal

934 got used as the chassis for 2S25, so it might make more sense in the LT line.

Since it's tech cutoff, we could have 2S25 with 1962 ammo ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Also I thought it was based off of BMD-3, not Obj. 934. Though maybe BMD-3 is some weird offshoot of 934? I'd love to see that regardless XD 

Obj. 934 however would have hydropneumatic suspension, a feature that we don't have alot of in-game, so maybe this one would be more interesting, rather than a super-beefed up Object 906 (ingame performance wise anyways)

medal medal

3 minutes ago, F7UCutlass said:

Since it's tech cutoff, we could have 2S25 with 1962 ammo ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Also I thought it was based off of BMD-3, not Obj. 934. Though maybe BMD-3 is some weird offshoot of 934? I'd love to see that regardless XD 

Obj. 934 however would have hydropneumatic suspension, a feature that we don't have alot of in-game, so maybe this one would be more interesting, rather than a super-beefed up Object 906 (ingame performance wise anyways)

You can see the relation more closely with the early 2S25.

Spoiler

wi99EgY.jpg

There was a proposed airborne IFV based on 934. I don't know if it had any relation with the BMD-3.

Spoiler

VNWPVPS.jpg

medal

Just now, WulfPack said:

You can see the relation more closely with the early 2S25.

Hide contents

wi99EgY.jpg

There was a proposed airborne IFV based on 934. I don't know if it had any relation with the BMD-3.

Reveal hidden contents

VNWPVPS.jpg

Perhaps some aspects were used in BMD-3, it makes sense as the Soviets/Russians like to make the absolute most and not over-engineer things if they dont need to. BMDs all have hydropneumatic suspensions, well, BMD2/3/4 anyways

medal medal

Another Russian amphibious monster....thatsgiphy.gif

You have my support!

Edited by BLUEBLACK_EQUAI
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, BLUEBLACK_EQUAI said:

so a Russian sheridan.......Thatsgiphy.gif

You have my support!

More or less, Except faster, can fire APHE, APDS, and HEATFS as well as ATGMs and probably has better armor too :D

and hydropneumatic suspension

medal medal

4 minutes ago, F7UCutlass said:

More or less, Except faster, can fire APHE, APDS, and HEATFS as well as ATGMs and probably has better armor too :D

and hydropneumatic suspension

welp unleash the beast 

medal medal medal medal

Just now, *gaelan said:

Please no more objects ;_;

We already have alot of prototypes in the game, It's just in the name is all. 

medal medal

9 minutes ago, *gaelan said:

Please no more objects ;_;

Objects are already everywhere, you drive them whenever you use any top tier Russian tank.

medal medal medal medal

Just now, Mercedes4321 said:

Objects are already everywhere, you drive them whenever you use any top tier Russian tank.

Like 90% of the Soviet tanks have Object numbers :)

• Upvote 1
medal

3 minutes ago, *gaelan said:

I'm referring to these low profile amphibious beasts

You should be more specific then

medal medal medal medal

3 minutes ago, *gaelan said:

I'm referring to these low profile amphibious beasts

Then specify which Object next time.

medal