DubThunder

T34-85 and its new BR, what's your experience so far?

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

Now when the T34-85s got their new BRs at 5.3 and 5.7 respectively, how do you guys feel about it? And what's your experience with playing/facing it since the update? Here's mine:

I just finished researching the Soviet 5.0 lineup including the D-5T earlier last week and after that I took a short break from the game for about a week. But during that time the BR changes were announced and implemented. Came back a few days ago to try out the new lineup at 5.3, haven't gone too well so far.. But I'm sure it's because it's a brand new set of vehicles and it's time for me to switch playstyle. The T34 is usually the first tank that bites the dust in the match for me and I've been sucked into a lot more 6.3 games then I thought.. I haven't performed too well in the KV-2 either(mostly because of the small and urban maps in AB), but surprisingly the SU-152 is the one that's performed the best. I never really had an issue with the T34-85s in my German lineup, but I know other people have different experiences with them.

Then again, I'm sure it's just a L2P issue for me so far and that I play AB at the moment. But I'm curious on what you guys have to share!

Edited by DubThunder

They have always been dinner for my Tiger H1, the only that's changed is that it's now dinner for my Tiger II P and Tiger E aswell.

The T-34-85 is probably my favorite tank in War Thunder.     It's a brawler and has a great killing round if you penetrate with slopped armor.     It's a beast and I love that thing;  there's just nothing better to see things go boom reliably.    Just don't try to trade long distance punches in situations where you will have a tough time penetrating.      Use that nimbleness to get into a better firing position.

T-34 Detailed stats

6.7BR matches are the end of its lifetime and you can see a drop off in general performance; however, even then at that specific BR, I'd prefer a T-34-85 over a lot of other tanks.

Driving my H1 and E Tiggers if they see me first I am dead, if I see them first they are dead.

My 17pdr tanks still gut them bow to stern.

29 minutes ago, Necrons31467 said:

They have always been dinner for my Tiger H1, the only that's changed is that it's now dinner for my Tiger II P and Tiger E aswell.

Yeah I used to club them in my 5.7 lineup aswell, didn't they'd be this tough now when I'm on the other side..

22 minutes ago, Sidiros said:

The T-34-85 is probably my favorite tank in War Thunder.     It's a brawler and has a great killing round if you penetrate with slopped armor.     It's a beast and I love that thing;  there's just nothing better to see things go boom reliably.    Just don't try to trade long distance punches in situations where you will have a tough time penetrating.      Use that nimbleness to get into a better firing position.

T-34 Detailed stats

6.7BR matches are the end of its lifetime and you can see a drop off in general performance; however, even then at that specific BR, I'd prefer a T-34-85 over a lot of other tanks.

Hm, yeah I've been bouncing a lot more shells with the 85mm than I thought. The sloped armor hasn't helped me as the 76mm T34s has.. And as expected I get penned at almost any angle by the tanks I meet(especially Germans), only thing that I can bounce with is the sloped turret sides.

15 minutes ago, Fallenkezef said:

Driving my H1 and E Tiggers if they see me first I am dead, if I see them first they are dead.

My 17pdr tanks still gut them bow to stern.

Same here when I play germans. Although the Tiger and Panther are pretty tricky to kill when you're in the T34, but it's definitely possible

Edited by DubThunder

The D5T should have never been 5.0. I have it and I really like it. Not too sure about the "normal" one as I don't have it but I imagine it can't be too bad...

Edited by Shimapan

I find it synergizes nicely in my lineup now; T-34-85, T-V, IS-2, some fighter-bomber (varying depending, but USSR has generally crap in multirole fighters and I am not much for attackers or bombers), and just for good measure the SU-152.

still a very good tank, not as clubby anymore and certainly more vulnerable, but definitely not bad.

11 hours ago, Sidiros said:

The T-34-85 is probably my favorite tank in War Thunder.     It's a brawler

giphy.gif

On a serious note both T-34-85s should be BR 5.3. Wouldn't take a T-34-85 knowing I can potentially face Tiger II (H)s. Anyway, aside from this very pleased to see some fair and just BR adjustments for the Soviet tech tree. 5.7 for the IS-2, 5.3 for the IS-1 and 6.3 for the mod. 1944. PROGRESS! Oh wait, but there's more. Then they removed the BR-471D shell for the mod. 1944s. 1 step forwards 2 step back. Net zero for mod. 1944s, still uncompetitive w/ their peers. In need of an immediate FIX!

Edited by Superior_To_You

I just finished a survey of 40 games played with a 5.7 Russian rack and found these results.

58a7ad8e3d9ae_5point7survey.jpg.e4bdf080

While you see many 6.7 matches, the relative numbers of superior tanks in any match is very low, I averaged just 7.8 tanks tougher than me, and half of those were on my team.   This is because the VAST majority of the tanks you see and are playing with are fellow 5.7 tigers, panthers, is-2's and t-34's.   So you don't do too badly against anyone... except for those true 6.7 tanks that you absolutely can't handle at all.   Tiger II aren't such a problem I find, because their drivers just bull them straight ahead.   But I dread the t29 and I don't like the t-44's.

I'm now conducting the same survey with a Russian rack a 5.3 and the results are VERY different.   You never see 6.0 tanks, you don't see 6.3 very much and 5.3 and 5.7 matches are super common.   I reason that this is because all the big 5.7-6.3 tanks are being pulled up into those tiger/panther spam matches.  One fellow I played with called it a "Matchmaker black hole" -- sucking everything around it in.  This seems to be true.

So in theory you want to play just outside the event horizon of one of these black holes.   5.3 seems to be it at the moment.   In these relatively empty 5.3 matches the t-34-85d5t, the IS-1, and the KV-2 Zis 6 can do some real damage.

Edited by YoMama2

D-5T is where it should since the beginning... and "85" at 5.7 resolved spam issue, it is already visible.
In AB I had few games and T-34 85 is still good, at 5.3 it was "point n click". I did not even notice a change because I always had "85" in my 5.7 set.

They keep falling like flyes at frontal-centre mass shoots. TBH i've never had trouble with them when they were sitting at 5.3BR.

Edited by B4Z00K4

10 hours ago, YoMama2 said:

I just finished a survey of 40 games played with a 5.7 Russian rack and found these results.

58a7ad8e3d9ae_5point7survey.jpg.e4bdf080

While you see many 6.7 matches, the relative numbers of superior tanks in any match is very low, I averaged just 7.8 tanks tougher than me, and half of those were on my team.   This is because the VAST majority of the tanks you see and are playing with are fellow 5.7 tigers, panthers, is-2's and t-34's.   So you don't do too badly against anyone... except for those true 6.7 tanks that you absolutely can't handle at all.   Tiger II aren't such a problem I find, because their drivers just bull them straight ahead.   But I dread the t29 and I don't like the t-44's.

I'm now conducting the same survey with a Russian rack a 5.3 and the results are VERY different.   You never see 6.0 tanks, you don't see 6.3 very much and 5.3 and 5.7 matches are super common.   I reason that this is because all the big 5.7-6.3 tanks are being pulled up into those tiger/panther spam matches.  One fellow I played with called it a "Matchmaker black hole" -- sucking everything around it in.  This seems to be true.

So in theory you want to play just outside the event horizon of one of these black holes.   5.3 seems to be it at the moment.   In these relatively empty 5.3 matches the t-34-85d5t, the IS-1, and the KV-2 Zis 6 can do some real damage.

Interesting. I haven't kept track but I don't think I've been in a 4.3 game yet, it's mostly 4.7-5.7 for me. But I've been in quite a few 6.3 games, only way to kill Tiger 2s is to shoot a 152mm APHE from the SU-152 into the mantle and watch it blow up(very satisfying). Looking forward for the IS-1 and possibly the PT-76. I don't know if it's just me, but the T34-85 has been pretty tricky in AB so far.. The mobility is great, but you really need to pick your shots carefully as they're prone to bounce off easily from Tigers, Panthers and heavy armored US tanks.

4 hours ago, B4Z00K4 said:

They keep falling like flyes at frontal-centre mass shoots. TBH i've never had trouble with them when they were sitting at 5.3BR.

The only trouble I had a against them were some wonky bounces (like literally point blank 139mm APCBC vs regular UFP) but thats hardly the fault of the tank.

Today was pretty weird, I had some good games but I struggled a lot more than I thought.. Starting to consider moving back to my 4.3 lineup until I get the IS-1 to back it up with. 

3 hours ago, Stahlvormund101 said:

The only trouble I had a against them were some wonky bounces (like literally point blank 139mm APCBC vs regular UFP) but thats hardly the fault of the tank.

i have weird moments when the blackhole hatch eats shells

1 hour ago, Fallenkezef said:

Yeah, that's true. View ports are the ultimate black-hole material.

As i play various nations around the t34-85s br currently i believe they do quite fine with their slight br increase, i see em win, i see em lose, i see ussr teams dominate, i see em get dominated, i don't believe the 0.3 increase changed much really. though yesterday ussr-ally teams were quite amazing tbh, bought the ST-A1 and the teams i got into got completely annihilated and i ended up with 20% w/l after 30 games with it...(today was a different story, ussr-ally teams got annihilated around br 6 strangely)

is2/t34 85 its the best 5.7 line in game atm at TIER 3 so i think it fits 5.7 very good at least u ofc try to use it as a heavy tank like many other players do.

i know it see kt2h and its not a fair match but tiger h1/e also see t-29 and isnt a fair match too so if tiger fits 5.7 the t34-85 do it aswell.

Edited by nayfas2

12 hours ago, Fallenkezef said:

given it is 75mm at 60 degrees, it should bounce loads of stuff ingame.

only reason it was a "weakspot" irl is because the hinges would fail, but we do not have such mechanics ingame so that presumption is rather irrelevant. it is just a higher armour spot on the tank and should not be considered a weakspot until we get a more complex DM that incorporates armour buckling.

Edited by Optical_Ilyushin