chocolategorilla

How do I fight German aircraft in the F4U-1A?

6 posts in this topic

I have no problems fighting Japanese aircraft in the Corsair. They are easy pickings. My problem comes when I fight German aircraft. They can match most of my strengths and it's really difficult to counter that. They climb higher than me at all times and my only hope of getting an advantage is to sideclimb until they all dive away. If one of them just rushes me while I'm climbing I'm screwed. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

48 minutes ago, chocolategorilla said:

I have no problems fighting Japanese aircraft in the Corsair.

They are easy pickings.

My problem comes when I fight German aircraft.

They can match most of my strengths and it's really difficult to counter that.

They climb higher than me at all times and my only hope of getting an advantage is to sideclimb until they all dive away.

If one of them just rushes me while I'm climbing I'm screwed. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would study your own post and words you used to describe your approach with counter offensive tactics.

Study WWII historical air-air battles and use those real life tactics in game for realism and immersion.

Clue, he climbs you extend out his gun closure range keeping situational awareness (S.A.)on him then as he flys back down, quickly do a half-cuban eight on top  ( birds eye view ) as he now is below you at safe climb height and fire bursts and  follow through with proper energy management, is one approach.

Timing is the important factor, it is tricky, you need to practice this, when to trigger the half Cuban-eight manuever.

Use a little bank angle and rudder to come on his side as you half Cuban-eight firing gun bursts across his engine bay and canopy as you are coming off the top range of the circle.

This strategy approach like all others works best on correct conditions and critical factors that ensure guns only lethality of kill success.

WATCH -

Opps, giving away my trade secrets used in other sim games. LoL

Edited by SkyKnight2014

13 minutes ago, SkyKnight2014 said:

I would study your own post and words you used to describe your approach with counter offensive tactics.

Study WWII historical air-air battles and use those real life tactics in game for realism and immersion.

Clue, he climbs you extend out his gun closure range keeping situational awareness (S.A.)on him then as he flys back down, quickly do a half-cuban eight on top  ( birds eye view ) as he now is below you at safe climb height and fire bursts and  follow through with proper energy management, is one approach.

Timing is the important factor, it is tricky, you need to practice this, when to trigger the half Cuban-eight manuever.

Use a little bank angle and rudder to come on his side as you half Cuban-eight firing gun bursts across his engine bay and canopy as you are coming off the top range of the circle.

This strategy approach like all others works best on correct conditions and critical factors that ensure guns only lethality of kill success.

WATCH -

Opps, giving away my trade secrets used in other sim games. LoL

Thanks. I apologize for the wording of this post, I was just a bit mad while making this post due to getting jumped by two Bf 109s and a He 100 while climbing.

Yeah if they are up high in trail and you dont see them they will sneak up and you either have to jink like mad and use terrain low level flight to avoid battle damage or they have good shots on you.

I got jumped a few times in SB but I was alone in a 1.0BR aircraft and it was like a surprise attack did not see them or know that they had a tally on me.

Best advice keep scanning the skies often and dont panic when your experiencing fire, just think procedure is................... do this and that to survive.

But really who plays this game realistically anyway. :dntknw:

When u spawn after the first encounter check the stats, if you see one of the top 1-3 players on the other team in a 109 and 3x more kills do not go high.

Target identification and avoidance are key to all encounters, no matter what nation. The basic principles are virtually always the same. If German aircraft retain energy better than you, you need an energy advantage before you go head to head, etc etc. If you are at a disadvantage to an enemy, find a target where you have the advantage.

It's only because most 109 pilots have only ever graduated from the boom and zoom Academy / watched too many WT youtube tutorials that they feel they need to be higher than everyone else. They're often best left alone and bypassed from the battle completely, which often happens.

They pick on the unaware for fear of getting into a 'proper' fight.

But as stated above. You answered your own question. Climb where it's safe to do so if you feel you must. Your teammates will surely thank you for keeping the 109's busy in an altitude war whilst the battle ( for battle, read fun ) rages on elsewhere.