Sign in to follow this  
Tigerspook

Aircraft cannon fuses (20mm)

There is already a thread on tank cannon fusing. But I feel the fuses in the smaller caliber aircraft ammunition must be different.

I had assumed there'd be a primer (like a cartridge primer) on the tip, and this would set the main charge off on impact. But with a little reflection this can't be so; the armorers would be unable to handle the ammunition without dying through a simple error. Or, the acceleration of the shell would cause the primer to collapse and to go off in the cannon barrel. And if the primer were in the nose of the shell, there'd be no AP+HE rounds.

I'm really thinking 20mm cannons here which seem to be the most common size by far.

Given that thousands upon thousands of these shells were being shot every day in WW2,  they had to be cheap, reliable, effective, and safe.

How is it done?

Edited by Tigerspook
  • Upvote 1

as far as i know the primer is in the nose... it's simply a timed fuze... like we have it in APHE tank Shells... the Minengeschoss for example used timed fuzes to have the HE explode after atleast partially entering the planes skin

MK 108 Mineshell

weapon26.jpg

2 cm mineshell

FGMGFFcart.jpg

• Upvote 2

If you look at the bottom image, the leftmost 2 shells.. the 'timing mechanism' is probably the small cylinder below the primer. Powder in that area burns at a certain rate, and the fire that escapes through the tiny hole in the bottom ignites the main charge. Perhaps the shell on the left is 'self-destroying' in a similar way. Upon being fired, the powder in the small red area burns, and ignites the main charge through the small yellow 'touch hole'.  I'm not quite sure what we see on the right.  Is that an AP core or a hollow for a charge? It isn't painted like the other hollows... and the small black area could be an incindiary material, or tracer material... but I don't see how it would work unless the cap on the bottom is torn off somehow. But it looks threaded on, and that seems a tad permanent.

Look at the fuze in that middle one. So complicated for something that is the ultimate in disposable.

Edited by Tigerspook

17 minutes ago, RohmMohc said:

the one on the right should be the APCR round

What do you think the cap on the bottom is for? Clearly that's how the penetrator is assembled into the round. But it could be capped by a press-fitted slug, not a threaded cap. So there's a little more to it, I think.  I wonder if it is an incendiary ignited by the pressure the impact.

23 hours ago, Tigerspook said:

What do you think the cap on the bottom is for? Clearly that's how the penetrator is assembled into the round. But it could be capped by a press-fitted slug, not a threaded cap. So there's a little more to it, I think.  I wonder if it is an incendiary ignited by the pressure the impact.

Isn't it for the the tracer element?

18 hours ago, *sigma__zero said:

Isn't it for the the tracer element?

It is sealed within a cap. How does it work? I think it may be a incendiary material ignited by the pressure of the penetrator being pushed back by the impact. 

Sign in to follow this