thedab

Battleships did did nothing in ww2

212 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, FliesLikeABrick said:

The irony being the Bismarck was the only battleship in WW2 to sink another battleship (albeit a very large battlecruiser) of similar size and power in combat on the high seas. (Can't remember any of the Japanese BBs falling to gunfire?)

 

 

 

 

Fuso. She was lost during the Battle of the Surigao Strait to several American Standard-Type Battleships. Granted there were Destroyers and Cruisers present as well but IIRC the Battleships did the most damage to her.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info - didn't realise there was that much big gun action in the Pacific. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, sgtalbers said:

Kirishima was basically sunk by Washington

 

Fuso (as Grayfox said)

Yamashiro was also sunk in the same battle under the same circumstances

 

I didn't include Yamashiro because she was actually sunk earlier while it was still daytime by Carrier aircraft.

EDIT: Scratch that you were right. Although she was attacked earlier by planes.

Edited by *Grayfox061
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FliesLikeABrick said:

The irony being the Bismarck was the only battleship in WW2 to sink another battleship (albeit a very large battlecruiser) of similar size and power in combat on the high seas. (Can't remember any of the Japanese BBs falling to gunfire?)

 

 

 

 

 

You what?

 

Bismark was sunk by HMS Rodney and HMS King George V, both where Battleships

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, Fallenkezef said:

 

You what?

 

Bismark was sunk by HMS Rodney and HMS King George V, both where Battleships

 

Urgh, erm, err... damn you Kropotkin!

 

(Although, debatable whether you can say they actually sunk her - she seems to have been deliberately scuttled. Certainly there was no definitive killing blow like she inflicted on Hood, even if there was, it would have beem endless controversy as to which ship did sink her, given half the Home Fleet was having a crack by then)

 

Edited by FliesLikeABrick
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FliesLikeABrick said:

 

Urgh, erm, err... damn you Kropotkin!

 

(Although, debatable whether you can say they actually sunk her - she seems to have been deliberately scuttled. Certainly there was no definitive killing blow like she inflicted on Hood, even if there was, it would have beem endless controversy as to which ship did sink her, given half the Home Fleet was having a crack by then)

 

 

Somehow i doubt the captain of the Bismark would of been in a mood to scuttle her if not for the rain of 15inch shells

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fallenkezef said:

 

Somehow i doubt the captain of the Bismark would of been in a mood to scuttle her if not for the rain of 15inch shells

No new information on Bismark she was scuttled by her own crew.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solid_Snake01 said:

No new information on Bismark she was scuttled by her own crew.

 

 

Thats a given but she was inly scuttled because two Britis BB's battered her to submission

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2017 at 2:27 PM, Fallenkezef said:

 

Tomahawk is around 1.5 Million

Tomahawk is also an old, outdated subsonic missile with a ~1000 lb warhead that can be easily intercepted by CIWS like the Crotale or the Sea Vulcan.

Crotale NG P1220851.jpg2mebhx5.jpg

That's just the last line of defense, as a fleet will generally have early-warning and reconnaisance elements e.g. helicopters, aircraft, etc. which can detect interesting things ahead of time like a missile.  A fighter jet should theoretically be capable of knocking out such missiles when detected early, as both the jet and their missiles are faster than the Tomahawk.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2017 at 8:11 AM, FliesLikeABrick said:

The irony being the Bismarck was the only battleship in WW2 to sink another battleship (albeit a very large battlecruiser) of similar size and power in combat on the high seas. (Can't remember any of the Japanese BBs falling to gunfire?)

Duke of York sinking Scharnhorst 

British Battleships sinking Bretagne 

And then the Pacific battles others have mentioned 

 

I think it's a testament to the power of battleships, that they can survive so much punishment, and stay fighting, or at least floating. 

Like Prince of Wales taking a hit to the bridge and completely destroying it, and taking a penetrating hit to her machinery, but still fighting on to cripple the Bismarck, of HMS Valiant taking a torpedo hit, and then sailing all the way across the Atlantic to America for repairs.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eden_Earhart said:

Duke of York sinking Scharnhorst 

British Battleships sinking Bretagne 

And then the Pacific battles others have mentioned 

 

I think it's a testament to the power of battleships, that they can survive so much punishment, and stay fighting, or at least floating. 

Like Prince of Wales taking a hit to the bridge and completely destroying it, and taking a penetrating hit to her machinery, but still fighting on to cripple the Bismarck, of HMS Valiant taking a torpedo hit, and then sailing all the way across the Atlantic to America for repairs.

You should check more about the combats around Guadalcanal, Coral sea to get more information.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.