thedab

Battleships did did nothing in ww2

38 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, bellezza03 said:

tell that to the marines that had to assault beaches and bunkers in Okinawa and Iwo Jima. Not even telling about Guadalcanal where the at the end the 2 US battleship decided who dominated guadalcanl waters. And if Japan didn't lost all his carriers at Midway in only one assault we would have seen a battle the the Yutland would have been nothing by comparison. Also battleships where really good in the fleet in being concept which was really well adopted by the Italian Battleships. Yes the BBs where no more the gods, but with air cover, a battleship was the most dangerous treath you could face

I don't think so,they are only dangerous when you have no planes or subs or torpedo boats.

the only good thing battleships did in ww2 was shore bombardment.

and it's funny that you mention the Regia Marina,as their small ships and boats were way more successful,than their Battleships.

if they spent that money that they used on Battleships,but instead on destroyers,subs,and maybe a carrier or two,then the Mediterranean would have become Mare Nostrum.

A "fleet in being" -  by simply existing the Italian BB's forced the British to maintain a fleet there too.  Small craft were never going to "rule" the med - they certainly had successes, but they also have limits.

Carriers were a liability in the med - almost everywhere was in range of land based aircraft.  

12 hours ago, Josephs_Piano said:

A "fleet in being" -  by simply existing the Italian BB's forced the British to maintain a fleet there too.  Small craft were never going to "rule" the med - they certainly had successes, but they also have limits.

Carriers were a liability in the med - almost everywhere was in range of land based aircraft.  

Not to mention U-Boats, we lost Arc Royal in the med that way.

2 hours ago, Hohum33 said:

"Battleships did did nothing in ww2"

Neither did bullets. It took ~10,000 fired per enemy killed.

This explains quite a bit about bullets.

In short:

Bullets are used to not only kill or injure, but also to suppress the enemy, and potentially force them to retreat.

On 16/01/2017 at 9:13 PM, Kazumi_ said:

This explains quite a bit about bullets.

In short:

Bullets are used to not only kill or injure, but also to suppress the enemy, and potentially force them to retreat.

I was parodying.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:32 PM, Mai_Waffentrager said:

Lest we forget the amount of provision fire Battleships did for ground troops? 

Absolutely. They served as far more effective mobile artillery batteries than shorter ranged cruisers. Not to mention they had their own screens that small fast attack craft and naval air units had to deal with.

Is the point of this post to diminish the role battleships played in the second world war? I seem to have forgotten all the shore bombardment PT boat squads, so famous for providing marines with fire support. What about all the command PT boats that Admirals sailed on in the middle of the ocean? Or even those AA platform PT boats that protected carriers from fanatical Japanese pilots bent on putting their planes through American flight decks?

This is a completely indefensible point, even just using the example of American battleships.

Hey I think that military police did nothing in the second world war (sarcasm if you don't detect it)....

1 hour ago, Been_Benuane said:

Hey I think that military police did nothing in the second world war (sarcasm if you don't detect it)....

Did anyone do anything in WWII? that is the real question here

12 minutes ago, the_suztown said:

Did anyone do anything in WWII? that is the real question here

Probably not. 

My sources tell me PT boats were really the battleships of WW2

Oh wait...