Sign in to follow this  
tx141

What are your thoughts? - He 100 D-1

Hi all, and a Merry Christmas to you all!

 

Seeing as it's Christmas, I thought I would give all you Arcade fliers and historical enthusiasts (seriously, I went the distance on the history for this one) my thoughts on the newly arrived He 100 D-1.

 

If you are interested in knowing more about the history behind this plane, or my thoughts on how it handles in the skies of Arcade; please see below:

 

He 100 D-1 - Record Breaker

A quick summary for those who do not have the time to watch the full review:

 

  • A very fast fighter, if not the fastest at its Battle Rating by a significant margin -
  • Brilliant climb rate - able to match everything it can encounter; if not surpass it out-right
  • Phenomenal acceleration in a straight line and in a dive - it can reach a top speed of 895km/h in a dive!
  • Comes across as an ideal interceptor and boom and zoom fighter; so long as you can cope with its lack-luster armament - I am curious as to why the 20mm MG FF Cannon mounted in the engine was not included
  • Not ideal for turn fighting due to its wide turn circle and rather heavy elevator control surface; but does have the maneuverability (especially in terms of its roll rate) to present a difficult target

 

I hope this helps - and be sure to let me know your thoughts on this "hoax" fighter! :)

  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want some He-113 skins for this thing :D

 

Considering its atrocious handling in turn and especially its weak armament...it's surprisingly good. I spaded it quickly, and had great fun taking out biplanes and early bombers. 

 

By the way, I skimmed the review a bit and noticed that you're not using stealth ammo. Odd, because it's most effective ammo for MG17. You don't really stand much chance of setting the target on fire AND dealing enough structural damage to make it lethal in most cases with brief burst. Your best choice is either pilot snipe with AP round, or "cracking the spar" with explosive (non-AP incendiary works as explosive in game).

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the performance of the HE 100 is really impressive! But it has the wrong armament (no 20 mm) and after my meanwhile completed spading my HE 100 will now be just another beautiful hangar decoration because there are so many ohter planes which make more fun for me....

 

Heck, how did you manage to shoot down so many bombers in just one game....? ;)

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to look 3 times to find it in my tree. Don't know if I will go back that far down in BR to give it a try but maybe on a slow gaming day, or if I can get my son off his butt to go flying with me instead of "creeper" hunting.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just meet one in my F4 F - after 2 turns he was dead.  Not impressed at all,tough.... Murica plane, BnZ.mer,  can easily turn / roll inside him. But maybe he was stock.... anyway, bad idea to get in a turn fight with that thing, stock.

medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SENAdmiral said:

Just meet one in my F4 F - after 2 turns he was dead.  Not impressed at all,tough.... Murica plane, BnZ.mer,  can easily turn / roll inside him. But maybe he was stock.... anyway, bad idea to get in a turn fight with that thing, stock.

 

Stock or spaded, that thing won't turnfight. Whoever was flying it should give back his wings.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2016 at 0:54 AM, Sarin said:

I want some He-113 skins for this thing :D

 

Considering its atrocious handling in turn and especially its weak armament...it's surprisingly good. I spaded it quickly, and had great fun taking out biplanes and early bombers. 

 

By the way, I skimmed the review a bit and noticed that you're not using stealth ammo. Odd, because it's most effective ammo for MG17. You don't really stand much chance of setting the target on fire AND dealing enough structural damage to make it lethal in most cases with brief burst. Your best choice is either pilot snipe with AP round, or "cracking the spar" with explosive (non-AP incendiary works as explosive in game).

 

Some He 113 skins would be a nice tribute to the plane.

 

Cannot disagree with your thoughts.

 

I tried multiple games with both stealth and universal ammunition - perhaps fortune was in favour of universal belts on that day; but I struggled to make ends meet with the stealth belts.

 

I think it may be the case that my accuracy is rather poor; as I enjoy having tracers as a corrective measure (on all planes, not just this one).

 

On 12/26/2016 at 10:13 AM, Pleasedontfire said:

Yes, the performance of the HE 100 is really impressive! But it has the wrong armament (no 20 mm) and after my meanwhile completed spading my HE 100 will now be just another beautiful hangar decoration because there are so many ohter planes which make more fun for me....

 

Heck, how did you manage to shoot down so many bombers in just one game....? ;)

 

It is a pity; perhaps there will be a He 100 D-0 sub-variant added to the game with the 20mm Cannon...I have my hopes up. :)

 

As for bringing down bombers with this plane - it's all about perseverance and creating the angle where you have the longest possible time on target with minimal risk profile. The cases of the initial passes on the Wellingtons (i.e. to pick up the critical hits) are examples of this.

 

Something about me as a person: just because someone says something's not possible, does not mean it's impossible in my mind.

 

10 hours ago, SENAdmiral said:

Just meet one in my F4 F - after 2 turns he was dead.  Not impressed at all,tough.... Murica plane, BnZ.mer,  can easily turn / roll inside him. But maybe he was stock.... anyway, bad idea to get in a turn fight with that thing, stock.

 

Yes, the turn circle on this plane is agonizingly wide.

 

11 hours ago, io_i_oi said:

I had to look 3 times to find it in my tree. Don't know if I will go back that far down in BR to give it a try but maybe on a slow gaming day, or if I can get my son off his butt to go flying with me instead of "creeper" hunting.

 

I recommend you give it a go. It's great fun and, in my opinion, quite a nice plane to look at.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is splendid! Most intersting plane of 1.65! Of course, untouchable at 1.7, I guess good players can do well with it at 4.0. 

  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the He-100!  If I had to name one plane in the game prior to its release that it reminded me of, it would definitely be the Mc 202.  They have similar qualities - exceptional flight performance combined with miserable excuses for firepower.  Bringing down bombers with either plane is not impossible, but tends to require several passes (or a lucky fire / pilot snipe) to make up for the woeful armament.  If it had a motorcannon I'd put the He-100 around 4.0 without a second thought.  It has a speed and climb you don't see normally before tier 3.

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zoomie plane...Not a turnfighter so pointless to try...I just side climb and then dive across the battle field kill those who get in the way along with sniping GT's...Once across, loop and repeat...At over 400 mph/640+ kph, no one has time to react to you...The 3 x 7.92's work fine when you are close in, no sniping from a mile out...All in all using this plane in a way that takes advantage of its strong point, it is pretty hard to get shot down...And Zoomie is always fun...

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

super fun plane to fly... although feel a little guilty flying it.  hope gajin adds a version of the plane with the 20mm at a higher BR at some point.

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is quite vulnerable though.

 

Overheats fairly quickly on WEP, and with the massive wing-radiators, will probably start leaking coolant within the first hit or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, alexmcguiness said:

It is quite vulnerable though.

 

Overheats fairly quickly on WEP, and with the massive wing-radiators, will probably start leaking coolant within the first hit or so.

Arcade forum.

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sidchicken said:

Arcade forum.

 

Forget about the whole overheats on WEP thing then.

 

Vunerable cooling system very much applies to AB too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying it I came to conclusion that He 100 should, just like Bf 109 E-1, be simply not allowed to fight 1.0-1.3 lineups. Difference in perfomance is massive, and 1.0-1.3 planes have simply no chance aganist them. "Underwhelming armament" argument has little meaning in T1, where most planes doesn't come with armor behind pilots. I think 3/4th of my kills were pilot snipes.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.