OddballE8

How did you find out about War Thunder?

94 posts in this topic

About three years ago I stumbled on some people streaming it live then after some research found out it was to be released as a co-play on PS4.

So... I was a big space engineers fan (still am) and I was subbed (still am) to LastStandGamers a channel mostly about space engineers, at the time I was trying WoT but then this channel uploaded this video:

I saw the thumbnail on my YouTube sub box and I was like:

what is a T-34-85E?, Chicken wire armour?, mmmm... War Thunder?

that looks like a tank and this looks like a tank game, you know what?

I'm going to click, what could go wrong? (I was playing another tank game so that helped my decision to click):

The first thing I saw was that the graphics, they were so much better than WoT's

Then when he penetrated the first tank, I saw that extremely realistic damage model* (At least compared to the lifebars of WoT) on that extremely cool hitcam at the top,

it was so cool how you could see the insides of the tanks you are shooting,

the placement of your shots actually mattered,

not like in WoT and the aiming system wasn't this weird circle that closes that I wasn't liking very much on the very little amount of matches I had on WoT.

When the video ended I was amazed of this game, everything seemed better than WoT and this was also a Free2play, then I immediately started downloading War Thunder

The next day I was playing it with the Americans as starting nation...

7 hours ago, Anonimo_LLopi said:

So... I was a big space engineers fan (still am) and I was subbed (still am) to LastStandGamers a channel mostly about space engineers, at the time I was trying WoT but then this channel uploaded this video:

I saw the thumbnail on my YouTube sub box and I was like:

what is a T-34-85E?, Chicken wire armour?, mmmm... War Thunder?

that looks like a tank and this looks like a tank game, you know what?

I'm going to click, what could go wrong? (I was playing another tank game so that helped my decision to click):

The first thing I saw was that the graphics, they were so much better than WoT's

Then when he penetrated the first tank, I saw that extremely realistic damage model* (At least compared to the lifebars of WoT) on that extremely cool hitcam at the top,

it was so cool how you could see the insides of the tanks you are shooting,

the placement of your shots actually mattered,

not like in WoT and the aiming system wasn't this weird circle that closes that I wasn't liking very much on the very little amount of matches I had on WoT.

When the video ended I was amazed of this game, everything seemed better than WoT and this was also a Free2play, then I immediately started downloading War Thunder

The next day I was playing it with the Americans as starting nation...

Before trying WT, I played WOT for 2 days... they lost me at the hitbars.  Component-based damage model, for the win!

I was listening to motorhead on youtube (Bomber) and there was a comment that said something like '' this is the perfect music when you are playing with a b 29 on war thunder'' 

i was like ''dafuk is war thunder'' and then i look it up on the internet and found the game but i only played it like 2 years later

Youtube. First I saw I vid about world of warplanes. Lots of make belief aircraft for Germany. Then found a vid for warthunder. A guy explaining how to properly fly the 109 in warthunder. Read a bit about it. Historical accuracy and no prototypes attitude was still a thing back then. I'm still happy with the game up to early t4.

Guess I'm happier with the game then most people trying to grind the top tier jets. :dntknw:

some friend say there is tank game other than lousy WOT so i was very interesting that point, so i wait wait wait and last that game out in beta, and i was watching some videos too if i remember correct Entak was that guy who had some videos in early stages, playing some tanks Tiger ?? and some LT ,anyway i was registered my self very early and played active few months later and now play like a HC player and i enjoy because i know everything about tank warfare in this game and i am good too, and rest is history :=)  this is best damn tank game even there is some balance mismatches but its minor issues ! anyway ,and its great no need to play WOT anymore :D 

I would work on my Battlefield 1942 mod for a long time, got bored one day and wanted to look for something new that is WWII style. I already knew how crappy WoT was.

I forgot the rest. I do remember being a n00b flying the P-40 in arcade man that was ages ago...

In 2014 I built myself a new PC and was looking for games with good graphics to try out (lol) ,I looked through many "top 10" lists and WT was on one of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I stumbled upon this game after seeing some of Phlydaily's youtube videos after searching "tanks" for historical research. I got sick of seeing all these game videos pop up and thought I'd go check it out... addicted ever since.

I think it was this image below when visiting another Forum I saw this add everyday.  

I clicked on at least 50 times as your given the option to shoot the plane in front of you then taking you to the webpage, which I never followed through but then gave in one day in 2014 LoL and downloaded it and I enjoy a few games daily since.

warthunder.jpg?w=1000

Its one of the good ones then I saw YouTubes and really got into it.

I also read a post over a ED- DCS Forum and posted my own about it.

Edited by SkyKnight2014

Was in military camp and the drill Sgt was playing it when he had nothing to do, i found it interesting and got the game

I had a friend who played it.  I was thinking about downloading World of Tanks, and he said War Thunder was better.

Started with certain other game centered around tank battles, that will remain unnamed, and seeing the advert for it on TV. Eventually my free premium time ran out and my review was "Meh, I couldn't complain at the price".

I heard on an image board that WT was doing Tanks now too, so I thought I'd have a look. It, too, was meh, BUT WT has planes and holy **** I became hooked.

Air battle RB is the most fun I've had playing a multiplayer game. The only game which comes close, in terms of sheer number of hours played, was the old team fortress 1 back in the day. A nice low(ish) learning curve which peaks at a high skill ceiling, perfect conditions for multiplayer.

With a few issues aside, WT is pretty excellent. Well the Air Battles at least. I guess I just don't get the love for tanks.... If I had the choice of flying like a home sick angel or rolling about like a beached whale I'm going to pick flying every time.