OddballE8

How did you find out about War Thunder?

94 posts in this topic

Inspired by the thread about WT needing more advertising, I'd like to perform an informal poll here on the forums to find out how you guys found out about the game.

I'll be honest and admit that I don't remember how I found out about the game the first time.

The thing is, I "started playing" this game twice.

Once when it came out, but only for a week or two, and then once again when ground forces came out.

Now, the second time, when ground forces came out, I found out about the game through the Mighty Jingles. He's a Youtuber that used to play WT, but no longer plays due to the ULQ abuse. He also stopped showing WT videos due to how Gaijin handles their youtube community.

So, I found out through Youtube, basically. From a guy who showed off War Thunder Ground Forces.

How did you find out about the game?

EDIT: Come to think of it, it might be good to add where you're situated. I'm in Sweden.

Edited by OddballE8

I've seen ads for War Thunder mostly on the internet.  I can't remember if I have seen them on TV but I believe a few years ago they had them.  I could be getting them confused with World of Tanks ads, though.

Anyway, I bought my brother a PS4 and this was the first game he installed on it.  Of course now he is stuck with a PS4 account but plays mostly on PC.

And he's the one that got me into it even though we don't get to play together much because our work hours are so different.

And as far as location:  West Virginia, USA

Friend told me, was on my waiting list/to download when have time, and I did like it after Reto.Moto screwed their Heroes & Generals game, or at least in my opinion.

Spoiler

Nicaragua here, and was on my waiting list because I have 120kb/s download...

I honestly can't remember exactly how it started, but somewhere in early 2013 I believe I noticed  few adds, then I proceeded to search up some gameplay and came across Jingles, after which I actually watched his videos without starting to play the game myself for a few months or so and I've pretty much been playing the game exclusively since.

Edited by Necrons31467

MightyJingles video back when he actually enjoyed the game (2013).

And we all know what happened thereafter...

Auscam (Posted )

You are reminded of the following;

1.1.2. Start or participate in flame wars, intentionally derail a topic, or post useless spam messages in moderated areas.

I saw it while I browsed the PS Store when I bought my PS4. I saw it was free and decided to give it a try.

honestly, i cant really remember. :< it was like back in 2014-2015 when i created this account. idk why i stopped playing. now i just got back on a month ago and started playing again.

3 minutes ago, Ginger_Fiddler said:

I had enough of WOT and googled "games like WOT" .....simples :)

haha i actually played WOT long before i started war thunder.

1 hour ago, OddballE8 said:

So, I found out through Youtube, basically. From a guy who showed off War Thunder Ground Forces.

Exactly this - DevilDogGamer YouTube channel, which led me to PhlyDaily and my least favourite "corporate like" BaronVonGamez. But the first two were the reason, I gave it a try. First I mistook it for WoT, because I've never heard about WT, nor have I seen any adverts.

By the way they represent 3 of 4 YouTube channels I'm subscribed too ;).

A friend told me about it a few years ago, but I wasn't really interested until I saw some YouTube gameplay videos. Once I started, I was addicted!

Almost 4 years ago, I was a avid Birds of Steel / Wings of Prey Pilot on Xbox 360 (back in the days :P) which lead me to research more into the development of the game and thus find World of Planes which became War Thunder. 

I was sad that my favourite server of the dying BF2 was closed. I searched something like with tanks and/or aircrafts and found War Thunder, WoT and WoWp.

I tried at first the other two games but it was not mine and after two days i installed War Thunder. Since then, I am here and stay here. =)

Friend got me to download it and we played a good bit of arcade air and a bit of arcade tanks. Stopped playing for a couple of months and then came back and started playing more. Wish that friend still played, those were good times. 

I joined a MechWarrior: Online group and on their extremely well crafted home page I must say they listed every officially and unofficially supported game by the group and the momment I saw this
war-thunder-2014-1080P-wallpaper-thumb.j
screenshot with the title "War Thunder" with a lil blerb about it and I IMMEDIATELY went off to find out more about it, As a person in New Zealand (not many if at all any air shows, WWII planes in museums (there is a few but no where near as much as other countries or relevant, nearly 85% of the stuff I see here are trainers) and the fact that the only thing that can satisfy my WWII thirst was History Channel which the good documentaries are so infrequent that after time I mix up vehicles like F4F's and F6F's and things like the Dauntless and SU-2. I can get the general ideas in my head but specific vehicles just went over my head, However my rapidly growing fascination with British aviation in WWII and the fact the Spitfire is the most famous plane in military history I got a very firm idea of what a spitfire was and is. due to that I can differ it to a hurricane and typhoon and after failing to main Russia for some reason Britain has been my main nation in WT and ever since then.

All in 2012, patch 1.27, if it wasn't for a group I joined that died (sadly) before i can even run the game I joined for to begin with I wouldn't have ever been here. To some of you guys you wish I would've never been here but yea, a bit relatable in 2013-2015 I've been telling a lot of my friends about it, some World of Tank players who were curious to people who haven't played anything but flash as they can't afford to buy games.

So, I guess word of mouth, everyone at the time loved WT and this was at patch 1.27, I feel lucky to be able to be privileged at seeing this game evolve over time and simply amazed at what we have gotten so far... a little disheartening that the Wellingtons DM and the whole british bomber problems of br's and fm's and dm's haven't changed much in the past few years but I heard rumors it's being worked on soon.

I found out about war thunder through jingles. it's sad he stopped making war thunder videos

Edited by *seadogpirate

Overheard friends talk about it. Now I'm the only one still playing while the others quit after reaching tier 2 %28.png
They went off playing Dota, those fancy fps and overwatch... meanwhile, I'm just flying in CBs waiting for something new each patch

Through a friend, who was amazed I hadn't heard of WT since we're both nuts about aviation. He no longer plays much, no longer having time 'cos he now flies real planes for a living!