JingoJaden

CBT Poll/Discussion

Post CBT Poll   72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Warthunder seek to increase the size of the ships to destroyers in the near future?

• Yes - Boats are cute, but destroyers are sexy.
    • No - Keep things even faster and more intense with boats.
  2. 2. Do you think Warthunder can handle cruiser gameplay?

• Yes - Bring in the Cleveland, Hipper, Molotov, Fiji and Furutaka!
    • No - You can't handle the truth!
  3. 3. Finally the great beasts of the sea, battleships, yay or nay?

• Yes - Until we can sink a player-controlled Bismarck, warthunder will not be complete.
    • No - Literally nothing can compare to their firepower and +50km battles of ranging and shooting would be boring.
  4. 4. Have you enjoyed your warthunder CBT experience so far?

• Yes - Extremely good and promising, having the time of my life.
    • Yes - It's been promising and fun, some issues remain, but it is overall enjoyable.
    • Neutral - A fair share of fun and troublesome factors.
    • No - Been somewhat disenchanted by the experience, there are some fun aspects, but it does not seem to cohesively function.
    • No - Been disastrous. Back to the drawing board.
    • Have not participated in the CBT

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Hello, in this day of much rejoicing we have gained our first taste of  CBT. However there still remain some controversy. Specifically the following.

Question: Will larger ships (cruisers, battleships, aircraft carriers) be available for player control? If not - why do we need torpedos?

SnailW.pngLarger vessels, while not available for control by players, but will be presented under the control of AI in some game modes. One of the main tasks of combat torpedo boats will be the destruction of larger ships. Player-controlled destroyers and other large ships may appear later, in other gamemodes, it will be decided based on results of closed beta.

This is something we can all address now. 

And with this comes the following question, and feel free to give your suggestions to the following.

Do you feel that WT should focus on developing larger player-controlled ships? If so, how to balance out the fact that larger ships have extraordinarily higher firepower and that engagements could cover over 50 kilometers?

As for my own opinions, the Armored gunboat project 186 (The one with the dual t34 turrets) proved more enjoyable simple for the fact that you need to think and aim. Point and click is more satisfying than hold and click and this 3.0 boat wrecked it's opposition in almost every metric. HE also had desirable effects on small boats whears AP did well with the angled ones. Given the relative speed and not low calibre of destroyers I see no reason why not to increase the general tonnage for now, while we figure out how to implement cruisers which is a minor challenge, and battleships which is a major one.

And yes, I think the boats are sexy. I do think the aiming reticent is a bit of an issue on top of that as it serves to annoy quite frequently, but that's a minor gripe. 

Boats are fun, but ships up to cruisers and maybe even battle cruisers as tier 5 could be implemented, but no battleships for player control

Edited by palmatius100

3 hours ago, palmatius100 said:

Boats are fun, but ships up to cruisers and maybe even battle cruisers as tier 5 could be implemented, but no battleships for player control

HMS Hood was a battlecruiser and was heavier than most battleships and as long as the Yamato class. 

Dunkerque Class and the Kongo Class battlecruisers were heavier than American WW1 battleships 

Alaska class "cruiser" would also fit in there too. 

And the Scharnhorst class, suck it Rohm 

All these ships are over 30,000t loaded, 45,000t in the case of HMS Hood. 

If you have battlecruisers, you must also have battleships. 

Edited by Eden_Earhart

1 minute ago, Eden_Earhart said:

HMS Hood was a battlecruiser and was heavier than most battleships and as long as the Yamato class. 

Dunkerque Class and the Kongo Class battlecruisers were heavier than American WW1 battleships 

Alaska class "cruiser" would also fit in there too. 

All these ships are over 30,000t loaded, 45,000t in the case of HMS Hood. 

If you have battlecruisers, you must also have battleships. 

Get the feeling that naval arcade, and naval realistic, would have to focus on rather different terms. 

11 minutes ago, JingoJaden said:

Get the feeling that naval arcade, and naval realistic, would have to focus on rather different terms. 

Even if it was limited to cruisers in AB and RB, with battleships only in EC, I would be fine with it 

Better than what we have now

There have been all sorts of vessels between fast boats and destroyers.  We could have corvettes, monitors, converted civilian boats/ships/yachts, Vietnam era stuff, avisos, moderately armed logistics vessels, or just a host of uniquely armed etceteras.  How different would a destroyer and frigate play versus a destroyer and all those other vessels?  If the scale spectrum stays grounded between patrol boats and destroyers, then there is actually a lot of interesting vehicles that could be added to the game.  Armament could range from flamethrowers to mortars to howitzers to light artillery to a whole host of ****.  Plus a medium scale would just blend better with the other parts of the game.  There is no way to balance a battleships presence alongside a tank battle and these massive ships would be easy targets for a coordinated air assault.  Medium scale vessels would fit much smoother than large ones.   Gaijin has the opportunity to create a much more interesting experience if it capitalizes on this opportunity.  

On 29/11/2016 at 10:47 AM, Eden_Earhart said:

Even if it was limited to cruisers in AB and RB, with battleships only in EC, I would be fine with it 

Better than what we have now

Gaijin has said that the matter would be further drafted during this CBT, so far there has been little indication that there will be a major change of course at least to my limited attention. 

Although, support for larger ships seem to be in the supermajority. 

Edited by JingoJaden

I have cooked up a pretty good idea how to add big ships in game and how players will play them.

Why cant we play Naval battles now?

Is it possible to set up the same events than before?

So sad, it stopped totally.