Dornier Leicht S-Boot or "LS" (Midget-Torpedoboats, or the German Bathtub Boat)

I have no idea what it is, but was found in the game.

I call it Bathtub because of what it looks like.  :D

============================================================================================================

UPDATE:

It is a Dornier Leicht-S-Boot (Midget-Torpedoboats), changed title

Yes, it is the same Dornier company as the Do 17, 217, and 335!

Armament consists of an MG 151/15mm cannon (same as 109F-2)

Mounted in what seems to have a Luftwaffe type HDL-151 turret,

2 torpedo tubes and 4 depth charges round out this firecracker boat.

German Bathtub boat 1.jpgGerman Bathtub boat 3.jpg

German Bathtub boat 4.jpg

Info on the turret weapon, which now seems to be an MG 151 (same as what the 109F-2 has)

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/lw/mg151.shtml

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/4127-Luftwaffe-Cannons-amp-Machineguns/page3

MG 151 was first developed in 15x96 calibre, only later in 20x82

Length of all MG 151 cartridges of 146 mm 

Cartridge size 15mm x 146mm

Caliber 15x96

• Upvote 2

Let me solve this mystery for you. It's a LS boat, probably the German reserve 

Midget-Torpedoboats (Leicht-S-Boote)

AT the outbreaqk of war the midget S-boats "LS 1" and "LS 2" had been decommissioned. From 1940 on the interest in the boats were revived. The aluminium boat developed by Dornier "LS 2" were to be finished and to be braught on board Hilfskreuzer "Komet" (HSK 7) as "Meteor". Since the planned for 45 cm torpedo tubes could not be realised the boat was fitted with the minelaying installations at the stern, so that it could be used as fast minelayer, to drop mines in habour entrances.

ls.jpg

LS 2 (Drawing from Connelly/Krakow: Schnellboot in Action)

The installed aircraft engines caused problems, so that "Meteor" could not be operated ba "Komet". In spring 1940 four more boats were ordered at Dornier. For "LS 3" and "LS 4" newly developed Daimler-Benz light Diesel engines MB 507 were available. The boats got a minelaying installation for four instead of hitherto three mines. "LS 3" was delivered on the 14.10.1940 and operated from Hilfskreuzer "Kormoran" (HSK 8). "LS 4" received two aft torpedo tubes.  As first boat it got the newly developed propellers and made 42,5 knots. It was placed on board Hilfskreuzer "Michel" (HSK 9).

For boats "LS 5" and "LS 6" were only Junkers aircraft engines available. On orders of the OKM both units were fitted as submarine-chacers (depthcharge carriers) for the Aegean Sea and transported to the Mediterranean. Since the corresponding search and detection unit was moved to the Balck Sea, the boats never became operational.

For the series "LS 7" - "LS 12" the MB 507 engines again were available, so that they were built as torpedo carriers. "LS 7" was delivered on 08.10.1943, "LS 12" on 12.07.1944. "LS 7" - "LS 11" were yet transported to the Aegean Sea, "LS 12" was stopped in Jugoslavia and became testboat at the torped testing authority. It became a Soviet loot. 

ls7-v.jpg ls7-a.jpg

LS 7 in the Aegean Sea (Pictures: Archive

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

22 minutes ago, Pony51 said:

Actually both are the same source.

Another source would be Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, but I think the armament is wrong.

Navypedia has more details

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/germany/ger_mb_ls2.htm

Maybe "Die deutschen Schnellboote 1914-1945" from Harald Fock has more information.

Edited by Lord_of_Sofa

Seems the gun is not a MG 151/20, but a  FlaK  2 cm/65 (0.79") C/38 , with 40 round magazines, based on link above and data posted here.

No surprise then, as typical ground unit cannon.  For such a small boat thats a lot of firepower.

Still wonder if the mount is based on the HDL, which is what the Do 24, Fw200, and others used at one time.

I did see LS-2 Meteor made by Dornier, but had no idea it was production of 12 other small attack boats.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MrMakWASP said:

So its a mine layer? Probably reserve tier or thereabout.

It looks adorable though.

While some of the LS boats were converted to mine layers it actually is a torpedo boat

LS%204-kl.jpg

Edited by Lord_of_Sofa
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, the_suztown said:

No, they slide out the back facing forward

Fascinating ... so I guess the Torpedoes had a certain delay circuit before starting their motors at full power?

(after all, even with the small draught of the LS boats, I guess there would be danger of hitting the boat itself if they immediately started the motors (before reaching a depth that was below the draught of the ship))

medal

39 minutes ago, Peisistratos said:

I believe they had to sink to a required depth before the motor started.

I can't quite remember how this was achieved but it may be though a timer.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 years later...

I have a question about this boat, or to be precise the one we have ingame, the LS 3.

While ingame it has an MG 151 aircraft cannon, Navypedia report that LS 1 to LS 6 only had the 2 cm Flak 38  (https://www.navypedia.org/ships/germany/ger_mb_ls2.htm) while only LS 7 to LS 18 had the MG 151.

Is there any credible source on that, as the LS ingame sport an incredible HMG with a firing rate of 750 rounds per minute, while the bathtub, the British reserve counterpart, only sport LMG weaponry with 550 rpm (for each guns, which I don't need a reminder are quite weak).

If someone could dig an official document about this, twould be neat, I think.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

16 minutes ago, Le_Flemard said:

I have a question about this boat, or to be precise the one we have ingame, the LS 3.

While ingame it has an MG 151 aircraft cannon, Navypedia report that LS 1 to LS 6 only had the 2 cm Flak 38  (https://www.navypedia.org/ships/germany/ger_mb_ls2.htm) while only LS 7 to LS 18 had the MG 151.

Is there any credible source on that, as the LS ingame sport an incredible HMG with a firing rate of 750 rounds per minute, while the bathtub, the British reserve counterpart, only sport LMG weaponry with 550 rpm (for each guns, which I don't need a reminder are quite weak).

Or it should just be renamed. Chances are that it is the LS12 that was ceded to the Soviet Union after the war is high.

• Upvote 2
medal

42 minutes ago, Le_Flemard said:

hmmm
I don't really trust internet resources.....I rely more on good researched books

at the moment I have Squadron Signal  14035 Schnellboot in Action by David L. Krakow

here is stated on page 42 that LS3 and LS4 were outfitted with 15mm Machine Guns of Luftwaffe origin namely the HDL 151/15 while the LS2 war armed with an 7,9mm MG34

LS2,3,5 + 6 were also outfitted as Mine layers

HTH

MadDaishi

Edited by MadDaishi
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

13 minutes ago, MadDaishi said:

hmmm
I don't really trust internet resources.....I rely more on good researched books

at the moment I have Squadron Signal  14035 Schnellboot in Action by David L. Krakow

here is stated on page 42 that LS3 and LS4 were outfitted with 15mm Machine Guns of Luftwaffe origin namely the HDL 151/15 while the LS2 war armed with an 7,9mm MG34

LS2,3,5 + 6 were also outfitted as Mine layers

HTH

MadDaishi

Danke for the input :3 Does that book state anything about LS 5 to LS 12, particularly LS 7 to LS 12 ? Since the difference in which loadout it has doesn't coincide with navpedia list of different serie.

Found a pic of LS 2 too, am not able to see the firearm barrel tho.

http://s-boot.net/pics/kriegsmarine/ls-boote/31903_3a.jpg

I tracked another source that could confirm it, but not availlable to me : the German Naval Archives (1922-1945)

NOTE: THIS COLLECTION HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED TO THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES IN COLLEGE PARK, MARYLAND.

(the german archives were took by the brittish and the USA at the end of the war)

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

hi there

here is a link to a german operated site about the Schnellboote or S-Boote, and their credibility is quite high

they translated their site into englisch.....and they have a picture of the LS7 in the aegean sea   with the HDL 151 ....

http://www.s-boot.net/englisch/sboats-kriegsmarine-types.html

http://www.s-boot.net/englisch/sboats-km-dat-ls7.html

HTH

MadDaishi

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2020 at 13:22, Le_Flemard said:

Quick History on 'Leichte Schnellboote' LS 1 - LS 36:

General: Class build to be taken onboard by merchant cruiser. Light metal constructions, powered by 2 Daimler Benz four-stroke 12-cyl diesel MB 507 engines and armed with 2 45 mm torpedo-tubes and a 2 cm auto-cannon in the plexi-dome.

• LS 1: Build as a mahagoni-light metal composite boat and with 2 two-stroke diesel Jumo 205 engines --> too heavy, hull was used otherwise, 1940.
  • LS 2 (Meteorit): Build with 2 two-stroke 6-cyl diesel Jumo 205 engines without torpedo tubes. Instead 3 mines (TMB-II), each in it's own rail on deck, a 6 cm boat-cannon (ww1) and to two 2 cm auto cannons (provably 6 without the rails). Served onboard HSK 7 Komet.
  • LS 3: No torpedo tubes, instead 4 mines (TMB) in 2 rails below deck. Armed with one 2 cm auto cannon. Actually had an 'wrong' propeller, reduced maximal speed to 38 kn. Served on board the famous HSK 8 Kormoran, which sunk an ordinary Australian cruiser. There are many documents on the Kormoran and the LS 3 public by the Australian Navy, including the question, if the LS 3 had torpedoes or not. Also drawings, routes, victims etc.
  • LS 4 (Esau): Build as planned. Not sure if it really used a MG 151/20 instead of an 2 cm Flak 30 or 38. Served on board the HSK 9 Michel.
  • LS 5 & LS 6: Fitted as coastal asw-boats (together with another boat MR 7 with sonar). Build with 2 two-stroke 6-cyl diesel Jumo 205 engines without torpedo tubes. Instead received 11 depth bombs on a rail and a 2 cm automatic cannon. After MR 7 was ordered away, both served as fast motorboats and were refitted in 1942, receiving two 45 cm torpedo tubes, like originally planned (mines + rail were landed).

LS 2 to LS 6 were build between mid 1940 to 1941. The following boats were build later, starting end of 1943. Build as small coastal mtb's. Design was slightly changed, as the mast was removed and an antenna was fitted directly on the turret. Armament changed from 2 cm auto cannons to 15 mm MG 151. Torpedo tubes stayed the same.

• LS 7 - LS 12: build and used as planned. LS 12 were used as a trial boat and later captured by the USSR.
  • LS 13 - LS 18: captured by France, while still incomplete and finished by them.
  • LS 19 - LS 34: Construction orders were stopped prior to the beginn of construction (1944)
Edited by craenker
format error and boats gun error.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1