FRB Basic Training and EC Tutorial

• 3 weeks later...

@AgathosDeimon - I know this is tutorial for less experienced pilots but you can give good tips while giving example without using 1944 planes like F4U (mid 1944 settings in game currently) and P-47D (earli 1944 settings currently but also little bit wonky FM) in EC2 against what often is 1939-1940 machines my friend. Even Japan with under-tiered Ki-44s is at best early 1943
Just saying :salute:

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

On 8.9.2017 at 11:15 PM, przybysz86 said:

@AgathosDeimon - I know this is tutorial for less experienced pilots but you can give good tips while giving example without using 1944 planes like F4U (mid 1944 settings in game currently) and P-47D (earli 1944 settings currently but also little bit wonky FM) in EC2 against what often is 1939-1940 machines my friend. Even Japan with under-tiered Ki-44s is at best early 1943
Just saying :salute:

Was kinda victim of the circumstances. Only available when recording match vs. JP was EC2.  ;)

• Upvote 1

I would add a comment to your WR experience so far. WR are made for other purposes than flight simulators, it's made for 1 person shooting games and a lot other fun games. I do not expect the makers of VR gear and software to put a lot effort into adapting it to Flight sim's at all. The one and only who really try to do this at the moment is WT. 

I totally agree with @AgathosDeimon in the need for real flying experience. :DD

I do not agree at all in the subjecst of better SA and feel of altitude when flying low for fun or in combat. This is a huge benefit in my opinion. :crying:

So, if you have money and the skill required to adapt to WR and Oculus Rift - go and get the gear, use a lot money to get the real feeling and to perform better in combat.

I will wait for another two years before I scrap my current gear. I have the skill to adapt to the Rift or equal gear, I just won't use money on it yet. 

Until then, have fun with simpler gear, I look forward to fly with and against my good friend Agathos again when I get my damn GPU back to working condition, upgrade my proper rig or buy a new high end rig and use this laptop for editing purposes. I have got me a real film rig, real professional rig from https://www.facebook.com/Filmskolen, bought and borrowed for just very small money from a old student and army officer like my self. :salute:

:ph34r::good:

Spoiler

Persons are just for illustration, gear are almost similar, some smaller cam where I can use my old Nikon lences from my old Nikon cameras.
753073.JPG

Edit: Norway and Norwegians are loaded with money because we won "the golden ticket of finding oil in the North sea" - I know people in other parts of the world struggles a lot with less money, corruption and crazy political and military leaders. War is best in a good virtual flight sim, real war is hell.

Edit II: It's the last day of elections for the Norwegian Parliament today, so I will stay put to follow the counting later this evening and during the night until appr. 02:00 night time - then I will take "a splash and dash sleep" before I check the results again in the morning, hoping for a better situation for the Green party for the next 4. years.

Edited by Senilix
medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, AgathosDeimon said:

Finally, ground attack tutorial using guns.

Awesome, I wish I could get it together to do that, I always wanted to be a strike pilot..I just wish the video's could be not oculus view! It's hard to follow.

• Like 1
medal medal

Thumbs ut for a very honest and instructive vid @AgathosDeimon, I don't really understand the two sad faces so far. It has to be people who dont like or envy the VR gear or just a honest and good pilot.

:salute:

• Like 1
medal medal

4 hours ago, Senilix said:

I don't really understand the two sad faces so far

I bet it have more to do with captured 109 used in video... :018:

Edited by przybysz86

I heard the comment, "to judge who is the best pilot"

- a pretty normal attitude if you have a competetive mind. He did not advocate use of captured crap - he is testing and makes instruction vids we can learn from - that's good :-)

medal medal

Mmmh and the part with the captured 109 is about 45s of a 20 minutes vid. ;):D

I lately flew alot of different planes to investigate how my overall skill level is. So as to see if my success in the Pony is based more on the pilot or more on the plane. The captured 109 is just part of this investigation (i got a discount ingame for it) as it allows me to fly H2H in EC vs. the same plane.

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AgathosDeimon said:

Mmmh and the part with the captured 109 is about 45s of a 20 minutes vid. ;):D

It's not problem with duration but with perspective. Video with you in German F4 killing US F4 would have the same educational value but will not annoy people :)

beside I kind of understand - it really gets old to see US A6M fighting JP F4U or GE Wellington attacked by US 109F4.
It kind of destroys the whole point of choosing nation and adapting the tactic accordingly - not to mention that captured planes are one of the reasons we are stuck with allied plane markers below 900m

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, przybysz86 said:

It's not problem with duration but with perspective. Video with you in German F4 killing US F4 would have the same educational value but will not annoy people :)

beside I kind of understand - it really gets old to see US A6M fighting JP F4U or GE Wellington attacked by US 109F4.
It kind of destroys the whole point of choosing nation and adapting the tactic accordingly - not to mention that captured planes are one of the reasons we are stuck with allied plane markers below 900m

Thanks for that input. I might have underestimated the concers about captured planes in the sim community. So i did not spent much time thinking about that when the discount voucher was given to me ingame. Instead i though "Cool. 109F is a neat plane and that way, i cheaply get a premium plane to earn SL once premium times run out. And i can do some nice 109 vs. 109 footage."

But i have another question about a new format. With me flying a lot more different planes lately i though of vids i would call "Classic matchups". In those vids i would review and describe two planes that are classic adverseries in WW2 i.e. 109E vs. Spit I/V or Zero vs. Hellcat? Those vids would no contain much combat footage, but are more a review of both planes and how i fly them. What i like and dislike about them and at the end a conclusion which of the two planes i prefer to fly in WT and why? What you guys think about such a format?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AgathosDeimon said:

But i have another question about a new format. With me flying a lot more different planes lately i though of vids i would call "Classic matchups". In those vids i would review and describe two planes that are classic adverseries in WW2 i.e. 109E vs. Spit I/V or Zero vs. Hellcat? Those vids would no contain much combat footage, but are more a review of both planes and how i fly them. What i like and dislike about them and at the end a conclusion which of the two planes i prefer to fly in WT and why? What you guys think about such a format?

that would be great :good:

BTW - can't your recording software record without VR? or maybe you can record from reply?
VR sets are not yet so popular and give me headache to try to watch this without one.

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed your vids, but I have to admit that when they come with the OR format I stopped to watch them for visual difficulties.

BTW it would be great to see some good energy tactic in 109 against Spits, I think one of the most exciting battles. If a F4U maintains good speed is pretty untouchable against Zeros, the gap between Spits and Messerschmitt is a lot less.

Also a progression of the same clash from tier I to IV: me109A vs MK I, me109E vs MK V, and so on. It could be interesting, I guess.

Edited by antiago
medal

Live footage is only possible in VR, as WT also displays the double view to the normal screen from which the recording is taken. Its not a question of the recording software, but a question of how the game feeds the normal screen. DCS for instance only shows one picture while WT shows both. Only way to record normaly is using a replay and run the game in non VR mode, but thats time consuming, as i would have to basically do something twice. For the commented fights series i rely on the shadowplay function of Geforce Experience. Once i run into a good fight and it ends, i hit the save button. Its a time saving way. That way i get way more fights recorded, than by saving replays, than review them an record from them. ;)

... when they come with the OR format I stopped to watch them for visual difficulties

Interesting. I do not have a problem watching them. At first it was a bit arkward, but now i just look on one side, normally the right picture, as that is my dominat eye and thats the view i remember. :D

• Upvote 1

... or left eye if it's your dominant eye. During exercise you can choose which eye to use. I do it in the video and when I aim with bow and arrow, any weapon IRL or in the game.

I have to decide which eye gives the best view for aiming - the important subject is how you look through the gunsight.

Agathos is a good and "Nerdy" pilot, the recordings will be "in two channels" until the producers of VR equipment or the game industry makes it possible.

I do not expect GJ to be the first company in the world to do this by itself.

It would be very nice if GJ did, I'm pretty sure GJ has the skills to do that, just not the funding or time to bring it to the top of their task list ;-)

Ps, I don't want to use money on VR gear at the current state. I will stick with my screen for a good while until the gear and gaming indstry makes it worth my time and money...

Edited by Senilix
medal medal

8 hours ago, Senilix said:

Ps, I don't want to use money on VR gear at the current state. I will stick with my screen for a good while until the gear and gaming indstry makes it worth my time and money...

Ahhh you are missin out man :DD Yes it could be better in terms of VR, the resolution really isn't up to snuff in some respects and you still get your peripheral vision taken down a few pegs, at the mo I don't have a swivel chair and check 6 is responsible for lots of stiff necks....but IMO it is certainly good enough to give the immersion flight sims always tried to achieve. I'll put it this way, it is a big enough thrill that for me I don't think I can play them without it anymore (with the exception of in WT RB bombing for SL generation as required although I'm getting along fairly well without it..but bombing isn't really what VR is for)..I'm watching with interest to see if CloD with its new team will implement VR, if they don't I think it will be a shame because it is looking awesome, and it has some of the best FM's out there. DCS and Normandy are getting there too.

Anyway I think it is safe to say that next gen headsets are probably at least 3 years away..if I had to guess I'd say more like 5, for me a couple hundred bucks a year or so is worth in the mean time it but of course each to their own on that score.

• Like 2
medal medal