FRB Basic Training and EC Tutorial

Sad to hear. But sometimes mic seems to be a bit to far away. Sadly in Geforce Shadowplay i cannot tune the game vs. mic sound just for the record and so i try to have a balance where i can still have enough sound without my voice totaly disrupted.

Take a look at the VR vids. They will be the new standard and for them i use the Rifts build in micro.

• Upvote 1

To make the sound better one has to put on a "voice-over comment" in addition to the "real comments". @AgathosDeimon has tested both earlier and really adds to the workload of making such vid's. If the mic. in the Rift is better (mic itself) and the software is good, this might be a huge improvement for making vids like this or even communicating with your team when flying.

I have a expensive headphone with mic. This helps, still, it can demand a lot of adjustments sometimes and one has to be very, very gentle with the placement of it in front or just to the side of my left side.

Edited by Senilix
medal medal

I uploaded a couple of vids now using my new Oculus Rift. The first two vids where already posted here in the "my way to VR" thread and the third is a new one showing FW190A & D combat.

If you note differences in voice quality thats cause some of the vids now are recorded using the Rifts microphone, others with my old headsets micro.

• Upvote 1

Finally a few nice fights with the P-51D in VR. Lately i only get into US T4 on US Servers which gives around 130ms ping and is extremely frustrating, as shooting and effectively hitting is hard with such a ping.

• Upvote 3

On 7/23/2017 at 11:00 PM, AgathosDeimon said:

Finally a few nice fights with the P-51D in VR. Lately i only get into US T4 on US Servers which gives around 130ms ping and is extremely frustrating, as shooting and effectively hitting is hard with such a ping.

Love watching your flights, my ping is never..ever below 180, usually to US server it is 189, and EU,SA is worse (never bother with Russia it was always ~380), lately much worse not sure there..my fault for being a Kiwi.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

On 23.7.2017 at 1:00 PM, AgathosDeimon said:

Nice flying, You are probably a bit to fast and to close on the enemy, in the two first kills - Your shooting has clearly improved - is this WR in general or just more practice and adapting to the WT game?

One has to remember, the German guns are very, very effective - US 50' cal's "is ment to be used" - in the meaning - use a lot more rounds from more guns to create damage, leak and fire. 

As far as I can se, US planes and guns works fine :-)

Edit: It all about good piloting, a lot training and sometimes, just small details can make a huge difference - it's about "the feeling of it too". 109's and Fw's in the right hands is hard, so is a good US or British fighter too - Nice flyin' pal - thumbs up.

:good:

Edited by Senilix
medal medal

4 minutes ago, Senilix said:

Nice flying, You are probably a bit to fast and to close on the enemy, in the two first kills - Your shooting has clearly improved - is this WR in general or just more practice and adapting to the WT game?

One has to remember, the German guns are very, very effective - US 50' cal's "is ment to be used" - in the meaning - use a lot more rounds from more guns to create damage, leak and fire. 

As far as I can se, US planes and guns works fine :-)

It's interesting, as I watched I thought his lead was no where near enough, but as he says ping makes a difference, just maths wise if we say 360 km/hr is 100m/s then 100ms ping is 36 meters, I know Gaijin does some magic both sides to try and equalize stuff..but I play lately at 230ms (I changed internet company and thing they have interleaving on) stretching to 999..it is causing difficulty :) I wish I knew what playing with 30-50 ping is like.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

10 minutes ago, przybysz86 said:

I preferred pre-VR videos - I do not own VR and watching it like that hurts ;)

You gotta get VR:) it really will change your life!

Continuing slightly from Senilix before " Your shooting has clearly improved - is this VR? in general or just more practice and adapting to the WT game? " I'd say aiming is harder in a sense because parallax effect really does kick in..you really notice it, but as Agathos is saying, you can 'feel' stuff..when you are in a close in gunfight I think VR is amazing.

Edit: I think it is tough to explain if you haven't had a good go at it, the first 5-10 or so hrs it just blows your mind, then you start to get 'feet' for it.

Edited by FoxtrotMikeLima
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

15 minutes ago, FoxtrotMikeLima said:

It's interesting, as I watched I thought his lead was no where near enough, but as he says ping makes a difference, just maths wise if we say 360 km/hr is 100m/s then 100ms ping is 36 meters, I know Gaijin does some magic both sides to try and equalize stuff..but I play lately at 230ms (I changed internet company and thing they have interleaving on) stretching to 999..it is causing difficulty :) I wish I knew what playing with 30-50 ping is like.

when you start to calculate lead based on a ping is where you will take too much time thinking and not enough time hitting things.

Plane's attitude can be misleading:
-you can misjudge speed

-he can be in a side slip

-he might be tightening or loosening the turn

-he might be accelerating or slowing down.

Those factors will always have higher effect than changing ping from 50 to 150ms (999 is obviously another story).
Try to feel the lead and if needed "walk the dog". Usually people do not lead enough so if you shoot and see no hits then keep bursting and add lead.
For cannon armed planes best option is to let enemy walk into your LoF - take excessive lead, roll to see him via side window and press the trigger as he pass by - with 2-4 MG151 you can be sure he will notice ;)

8 minutes ago, FoxtrotMikeLima said:

You gotta get VR:) it really will change your life! Continuing slightly from Senilix before " Your shooting has clearly improved - is this VR? in general or just more practice and adapting to the WT game? " I'd say aiming is harder in a sense because parallax effect really does kick in..you really notice it, but as Agathos is saying, you can 'feel' stuff..when you are in a close in gunfight I think VR is amazing.

yeah well - it's too damn expensive for me. It took me 4 years to force myself to buy rudder pedals which are way less expensive.
Beside I do have head tracker and it's fine for me now - when I'll start ending up on last place in my team I'll re-think VR option ;)

but keep in mind that I live in a country where avg salary is little above 1k euro - and that's before taxes (ca. 20% of that is taken back by govt.)

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, przybysz86 said:

when you start to calculate lead based on a ping is where you will take too much time thinking and not enough time hitting things.

Plane's attitude can be misleading:
-you can misjudge speed

-he can be in a side slip

-he might be tightening or loosening the turn

-he might be accelerating or slowing down.

Those factors will always have higher effect than changing ping from 50 to 150ms (999 is obviously another story).
Try to feel the lead and if needed "walk the dog". Usually people do not lead enough so if you shoot and see no hits then keep bursting and add lead.
For cannon armed planes best option is to let enemy walk into your LoF - take excessive lead, roll to see him via side window and press the trigger as he pass by - with 2-4 MG151 you can be sure he will notice ;)

yeah well - it's too damn expensive for me. It took me 4 years to force myself to buy rudder pedals which are way less expensive.
Beside I do have head tracker and it's fine for me now - when I'll start ending up on last place in my team I'll re-think VR option ;)

Cheers for advice, yea I know (executing is the issue!), I did quite well yesterday, but beginners luck and all that..I need some pedals myself, still using twist stick (x-55)..not ideal. I usually do the excessive lead thing and let them just fly in. They often see it and take steps of course:)

• Upvote 1
medal medal

15 minutes ago, FoxtrotMikeLima said:

.I need some pedals myself, still using twist stick (x-55)..not ideal

I've been using X55 myself for 1,5 years before getting pedals (I still use but twist was replaced by pedals) and it's fine when it comes to aim. Pedals give you advantage in coordinated manoeuvres elsewhere like snap rolls etc but when it comes to aim itself twist is fine IMO.

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, przybysz86 said:

I've been using X55 myself for 1,5 years before getting pedals (I still use but twist was replaced by pedals) and it's fine when it comes to aim. Pedals give you advantage in coordinated manoeuvres elsewhere like snap rolls etc but when it comes to aim itself twist is fine IMO.

Yea that's why I went for the VR first:) Anyway I don't want to derail Agathos thread, it's fun learning from others experience in VR, and yes IFF is a problem, it's not insurmountable but I have nearly killed team mates myself, and I know Karamazovnew said he actually has. Spotting in VR is laughable easy..too easy probably, but we don't know what you are until the tag pops up, I made a thread in RB as to why I was flying RB despite fighting what is..unforgiving at the least 

No one picked the plane at 340m, I was impressed Paingod85? got the P-40 at 420m, it was an easier angle..but we can't clearly see this stuff at these distances, that pop up blue tag is all we have to not shoot team mates down. It is a problem.

edit: and I had to downgrade somewhat for SB my resolution, because without the tags I needed less frame drops. (I'm running a pretty hard core GPU as well, I wanted a GTX 1080ti but my computer melted 3 months before release..I couldn't wait and went with a 980ti..still it's hot performance, no way PSVR is up to that scratch)

Edited by FoxtrotMikeLima
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Thanx for a nice read since my last view in this thread.

You are probably all right. Agathos is a real pilot and compares to this all the time, I am a dedicated sim pilot with a few real life lessons where I live when I was 14/15 years of age, now I'm closing into 60.

Our Polish friend przyby... has several good and valid points, i will recommend the use of pedals even flying WR - a throttle unit too. With WR you have to know where the most important buttons and levers are. If you can't afford such gear, a screen is probably a better choice.

I have a very damaged back and old injuries in my neck, left arm i totally smashed up in football, both legs the same - football, handball, fencing and some other stuff done on dance-floors. People in this game has a lot different approaches and the economy is not equal all over the world.

I am a "old Norwegian Bat", who can afford a lot even on a pension or on social care, if I get my focus right and don't waste my money and time on drinking and xxxx.

I have managed to get sound to working condition in my headset and mic. I'm Working on the Head-tracker right now. I will, hopefully, get my GPU back to functional order so I can "re-mount" my Sim setup and participate in the game "and wipe Ya' all out of the virtual skies of WT and other Sim's with players in it".

Go to my profile and see the setup there, I should also show my computer rig or stat's or whatever.

In the meantime, have fun, and - "the old "bat/ingenious" will soon be back on track"

:salute:

For inspiration - look at the recording date - it's still possible to do this in a "weak or over-inspired moment" ;-)

Edited by Senilix
medal medal

Interesting questions folks. Let me go through some quick answers, but i'd appreciate it that you want to keep this thread mostly clean of discussions:

Shooting in VR vs. non-VR: For me not "more difficult" but just different in VR. But i am one that never looks at the gunsight but always has the focus on the target. So my transition to VR was pretty easy and i have no problem using the reflection gunsights present in most planes i fly.

Shooting/Hitting with different pings: In my experience even a rather small change like from 60ms to 130ms makes a huge differences. Especially in the P-51D with its .5 cals i learned and memorized deflection shots while playing on EU servers with pings in the range of 20-60ms. So when i play now on US and have to deal with 130ms my aim is off by just 5-6m. But thats often enough the difference between a killing blow and a total miss. Just remember, most planes we fight against are somewhere in the range of 8-10m long and about 12-14m in wingspan. So 5-6m really matters. ;)

Interestingly in the FW190 i do not have this, but that might be, cause i learned and memorized shooting with those mostly playing on 130ms servers. So for me, you see, the problem is not the ping, but the inability to quickly adapted to a changing ping once i memorized the deflection for a certain gun. :facepalm:

Spotting in VR: I agree and disagree it being easier. Easier as you normally can track dots once spotted better due to dept perception. A little worse cause the field of view is restricted and especially tracking something in your rear cone is really difficult that way. Atleast for the Rift that the edges of your field of vision is kinda of blurry, compared to the center of the VR view, also makes spotting in those areas a tad harder.

But thats enough for now. Enjoy the new vid. Some more commented fights. Personally i really like the sequenze with the FW190A vs. Spit and the vertical scissors flown in P-51D against a Ki-84. What i also really like is that you can see in this compilation, that i basicly fly every dogfight the same. This might be a little boring, but shows that discipline and getting the basic rights will result in success and that there is not much "creativity" needed to get good performance out of most planes. :B10:

• Upvote 2

A interesting read, we should maybe take the aiming and piloting style out to another thread, the same with being disciplined - since when did you act disciplined?

To the VR experience. 

Has anyone been able to compare different gear, blurriness to the edges makes me feel creepy? Please make a thread on that so we don't derail this topic. 

I will look into your vid @AgathosDeimon, I'm too busy outside to really consentrate on piloting right now. 

:good:

medal medal

Nice:) I'm same, telescopic just not useful for me, especially air combat, switched all my planes to tracer so I still have a chance to shoot even when the sun strikes my reflector sight, lost a guy the other day largely because I was still using stealth.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

So, I wait for the Ki-61 Otsu to start up, it starts up, but it takes full right rudder and full right aileron trim to keep it almost flying level. Autotrim doesn't seem to be fixing anything, and I don't have a good axis I can use for trim. 

edit: nevermind: combination of reversed joystick and not refreshing the autotrim enough. Still working on sorting out the controls. 

Edited by starkwolf
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, starkwolf said:

So, I wait for the Ki-61 Otsu to start up, it starts up, but it takes full right rudder and full right aileron trim to keep it almost flying level. Autotrim doesn't seem to be fixing anything, and I don't have a good axis I can use for trim. 

edit: nevermind: combination of reversed joystick and not refreshing the autotrim enough. Still working on sorting out the controls. 

Have you tried to save trim in test? I would advise not to use autotrim ever.

Also remember that there is still a bug present in enduring confrotation that resets save trim settings when you respawn a plane. This for me makes any plane that needs a certain presaved trim to fly straigh (like 109s or 190s) a one hop plane currently. Even going to the map screen and respawning will not restore save trim setting - although messages say otherwise - and so some plane are just plainly unflyable after the first sortie.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure - still need to confirm but: I have some of my planes trimmed - mainly 190s but some with all 3 axes trimmable as well (let's just say a preset for them as i know i could do it any time i spawn such plane)

After landing it sometime does not say that trims were restored. But flying the plane feels like they actally were BUT current trims are now 0% setting. E.g if i have an axis set to 5%, land and there's no message it feels like this 5% is still applied but it's "new" 0%/central point now.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

13 hours ago, AgathosDeimon said:

Have you tried to save trim in test? I would advise not to use autotrim ever.

Also remember that there is still a bug present in enduring confrotation that resets save trim settings when you respawn a plane. This for me makes any plane that needs a certain presaved trim to fly straigh (like 109s or 190s) a one hop plane currently. Even going to the map screen and respawning will not restore save trim setting - although messages say otherwise - and so some plane are just plainly unflyable after the first sortie.

I have tried, but this is generally based on the best trim from autotrim. 

The problem is there are just so many axes, and I need a way to adjust the trim without overwriting something else that I have a button set for. I tried holding down a button and then using another axis, but it only records the button I held down. If you know of a good axis for trimming, let me know. I use a Logitec Xtreme 3D Pro. 

• Upvote 1