FRB Basic Training and EC Tutorial

Testing my new rig in War Thunder. Although new form of recording, i try to comment while flying an EC4 match. So sometimes the comments stutters because of me distributing my attention to flight, fight and talking. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

New video online explaining the following:

- lift vector

- angle of tail

- reversals

- lag, pure and lea pursuit

- in- and out-of-plane maneuvering

Using DCS as it was easier to set up a dummy flying circles in it.

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In custom battles you can now select the bots rank. So its possible to fly agains bots that are more useful for target practise and so on.

Short vid on how to set that up.

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 1

So folks oldtimer flying season is starting this weekend and the flightschool is so far complete.

As i see no great progress in EC and FRB overall and the ingame economy doesn't allow me to explore deeper into other nations research trees i will take the opportunity and concentrate on the real worlds flying for the season and cease to be around in WT.

Was fun and i will occasionally drop in to see if any interesting news or patches are up.

Always happy landings FRB community and good hunting. :salute:

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those interested in real oldtimer aviation, here the links to three video from my club. I am very proud and thankful for being part of such a dedicated and magnificent group of people preserving and flying those beautiful aircraft.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

https://youtu.be/U1Fl3d57TQo

It makes me proud and happy to see the NOmad name in hands of a excellent pilot and friend.

Beautiful, thanx for sharing the historical flights pal :salute:

Edited by Senilix
medal medal

Sorry pal, or luckily - I'm still alive and will be alive - My rig is out of order - the video card is "hidden" or out of order som my FPS is more or less as my former potato computer - pretty potato. I will look into it. First thing first, that is a new car so I can move my Cayac out to the sea. My old cat has left me at the age of almost 17 years, my mother is recovering and I have managed to make some over 100 clics / km in my "sea monster" / PH Cetus. Pics will come later on.

I'm happy for you guys to even remember me - thanx - I love Your attitude to the game by the way / tilviljun ;-)

Spoiler

"It's all about the game and how you play it. All about control and if you can take it."

Althix

:salute: & :crazy:to ya all ;-)

Edited two,, 3/4 places - "you" to "Your" and "cayac" to "Cayac" - all this without the use of "Google translate" exept translation of "by the way" ;-)

I'm the same, full of humor and desire for life, fun and living (in nature) https://forum.warthunder.com/uploads/emoticons/crazy.png

Edit II: Still afraid of the like button, HUH?

Edited by Senilix
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

9 hours ago, AgathosDeimon said:

Second part of the DHC-1 flying, the approach and landing.

Good job. . .:good:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike the explanation he gave for not using the High Yoyo, in a situation where you pull a high Yoyo and the enemy can come up and meet you means a couple of things

1. You did not have excess energy and thats why he is up where you are, therefore there was no need for a yoyo.

2. You totally mistimed the YoYo and misjudged what the adversaries energy state was.

3. You tried to pull one big YoYo instead of a series of little ones, which prevents such a thing while keeping an energy advantage.

In pure 1 vs 1, perhaps one would pull back on the throttle for a bit and slow down, but as is made painfully obvious in Warthunder, I would not waste a single knot or a single RPM in a many vs many party, with excess energy I would take that flat scissors into a rolling one and do barrels around his butt rather than chop throttle and end up an easy kill for the guy coming up behind me.

If you need to pull a high yoyo . . .you are doing something right

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

@Twisted Many vs. many is a completely different thing. And as outlined in the video he is describing it for a 1 vs. 1. And from personal experience i will admit that staying behind 3-to-9 line and using throttle instead of an out of plane maneuver normally is the better choice i a 1 vs. 1. Many vs. many requires other tactics and considerations not done in the Art of Dogfight vid.

• Upvote 1

On 12.07.2017 at 9:16 AM, Twisted said:

I dislike the explanation he gave for not using the High Yoyo, in a situation where you pull a high Yoyo and the enemy can come up and meet you means a couple of things

1. You did not have excess energy and thats why he is up where you are, therefore there was no need for a yoyo.

2. You totally mistimed the YoYo and misjudged what the adversaries energy state was.

3. You tried to pull one big YoYo instead of a series of little ones, which prevents such a thing while keeping an energy advantage.

In pure 1 vs 1, perhaps one would pull back on the throttle for a bit and slow down, but as is made painfully obvious in Warthunder, I would not waste a single knot or a single RPM in a many vs many party, with excess energy I would take that flat scissors into a rolling one and do barrels around his butt rather than chop throttle and end up an easy kill for the guy coming up behind me.

If you need to pull a high yoyo . . .you are doing something right

well - he explains things for jet combat - F-16 and Mig-29 both have T2W>1 and can ALWAYS go vertically up even from almost stalling speed so you know - it's a good video but you need to put some perspective on it.

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

@AgathosDeimon  I would like to argue that point pertaining to 1 vs 1, many vs many is obvious

If you happen to be blazing in at high aspect and an over shoot is going to happen, then obviously you want to convert that into height and do some fancy yoyo stuff, chopping throttle at merge or first couple of turns is a simple No No.

If you happen to have settled into the fight and are now in the hind quarters and you both still have some energy to play with and you are not firmly in the saddle, chopping throttle would be a really bad idea, anything can happen, as long as there are angles and he has energy to generate them, I would like to keep every knot, rpm and foot. Easier is not necessarily the best option.

On the other hand, if you have already run out of energy if you are now in that slow speed nose high deep stall scissors trying to keep advantage and its a question of who reaches the ground first, it would be impossible to cut throttle anyway and being so close to falling out of the sky, every little bit of juice counts.

In Dissimilar aircraft, where one is just simply way better than the other in terms of speed acceleration and maneuverability,than yes, you might have to, but also know that you could just open up and the enemy fighter would be left sniffing exhaust fumes and you are simply to OP. It simply means you have plenty of energy to spare.

However in similar aircraft, in a close fight, if you happen to be fighting your clone, as he put it, and speed and energy differentials are not so great, chopping throttle and losing speed as compared to perhaps a variation of a lag pursuit roll or using the oblique/vertical plane may simply give up advantage. It is far easier and less wasteful to simply slide out of the turn a bit and climb a little with out giving up any thing, maintaining the advantage and also ending up in a very difficult place to keep visual in, invariably forcing a reversal and creating opportunity to get firmly into the saddle.

Possibly while following through a split S at high speeds, I would pull back, but would prefer to go oblique  and meet him at the end of it.

While obviously there is no definitive right or wrong answer, and I wont argue there is, however in a confirmed 1 vs 1 fight, with time on my side, an unlikely situation except training, I would rather keep energy unless I can absolutely attain a gun tracking solution and am going to shred him utterly. In most situations, chopping throttle as a way of maintaining position may end up giving up your edge.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:10 PM, przybysz86 said:

well - he explains things for jet combat - F-16 and Mig-29 both have T2W>1 and can ALWAYS go vertically up even from almost stalling speed so you know - it's a good video but you need to put some perspective on it.

In modern Jets, the need for ACM is overlooked because of Beyond visual Range missiles and All aspect missiles. Modern short range Missiles have minimum ranges as little as 300 m and Off Bore sight lock on capability, as much as 30-40  degrees. So in most cases you just point your nose in the general direction and shoot.

All aspect pretty much means you can lock onto the IR signature of the leading edges of the wings and intake and pop one right in his face.

In addition there is threat warning systems and radars, airborne, ground based and on board, so in most cases nobody is sneaking up on anybody and the need for close in combat and ACM s a pretty unlikely occurrence and taught and trained in very canned situations, to make better pilots with hair on their chests.

However if you still happen to end up in close range and guns only, regardless of T2W, you still dive, climb, accelerate, spin, flick and have physical G limits and the principals of ACM hold true and you really don't want to be near anybodies nose.

This is what makes War thunder such a wonderful beast and an excellent education, you really get to feel and taste real ACM in a wonderful environment. I hope they never add missiles and beeps,boops and whistles, and I hope, instead, we take a journey back into WWI and the birth of Fighter Flying.

Edited by Twisted
medal medal medal medal

That's a important perspective to have in mind, not all info can be taken as granted - put the perspective into relations to other knowledge that matters. Among other things; a good pilot is a good pilot even if he/she forgets the gear sometimes - in such a situation you can save the day by pushing a button or full throttle. Not in real WWII fighters - I have seen and heard Jets "everyday" from my childhood. I don't like the Noise. :crying:

medal medal