FRB Basic Training and EC Tutorial

37 minutes ago, AgathosDeimon said:

Carrier ops video is online

Can i ask for the same in SB2C, please? :p:

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Carrier ops are really fun. Long time I dont fly japaneses planes but iirc in WT carriers has some kind of propulsion to accelerate planes faster, but this work only with 91% or more power. So dont be very smooth, usually is better to slam the throtle.

5 hours ago, Amyel said:

Can i ask for the same in SB2C, please? :p:

Just rescale trim settings from degrees to 0-100% scale. For example rudder trim should be 33% right and elevator 10% nose down

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Dog_Urubu said:

Carrier ops are really fun. Long time I dont fly japaneses planes but iirc in WT carriers has some kind of propulsion to accelerate planes faster, but this work only with 91% or more power. So dont be very smooth, usually is better to slam the throtle.

You learn something new every day...and i wondered about the amazing acceleration of the A6M! :facepalm:

For me smooth is not slow, as i always say "smoothly but firmly". ;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

Just rescale trim settings from degrees to 0-100% scale. For example rudder trim should be 33% right and elevator 10% nose down

Ohh i do know how to take off in that plane.

Just wanted Agathos to have some fun ^^ (sorry - mean girl sometimes)

This plane is a bit unforgiving at first :)

• Upvote 3
medal medal

12 minutes ago, Amyel said:

Ohh i do know how to take off in that plane.

Just wanted Agathos to have some fun ^^ (sorry - mean girl sometimes)

This plane is a bit unforgiving at first :)

SB2C = "Son of a B****, 2nd Class". That name was well deserved I guess ;)

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Not at all difficult. As in every plane with a clockwise rotating prob prior to take off i added a little trim (4% right aileron and 4% right rudder) throttled her up smoothly but firmly to 100% and off we went. Landing with much easier than in A6M, but i still was a little to fast. I just have to remind myself that most US planes for carrier OPS have a stall speed of only around 70 mph IAS in landing config, so coming in at 95-100 mph IAS instead of 110-115 would have made a nicer flare and resulted in a 3-pointer not the hard wheel landing i did. :D

Also i added a little Tutorial on start up, take off and landing in DCS TF-51D so now there is a direct comparison to my WT P-51D pattern. You might notice that in DCS the TO is somewhat more unstable, while interestingly the approach and landing is more stable and easier to perform. Also note that in DCS i only need about 20-22 inches of mercury to keep a good approach speed while in landing configuration. In WT i need 35 inches of mercury and a relatively steep glide angle and the P-51D still deaccels from 140 mph IAS to 130 before i start the flare. So there is a very noticable difference in the FM between the two games.

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 3

Hi Agathos, really like your little lessons!

Have you got a tutorial for dive bombing, especially how to decide when to go down and how to aim at the ground targets (in SB)?

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

I have it on the list. The challenge is, that divebombing a minibase is quite easy, but i struggle to identify ground targets (Tanks, Howitzers, etc.) from a good starting altittude for a dive bombing run. If you really want to divebomb at an almost vertical angle, you i can not see them. So anything i do against moving targets is more or less glide bombing and praying for luck. ;)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AgathosDeimon said:

I have it on the list. The challenge is, that divebombing a minibase is quite easy, but i struggle to identify ground targets (Tanks, Howitzers, etc.) from a good starting altittude for a dive bombing run. If you really want to divebomb at an almost vertical angle, you i can not see them. So anything i do against moving targets is more or less glide bombing and praying for luck. ;)

That is exactly my problem, I don't miss a mini base but I have a hard time to make out targets in a ground battle.

medal medal medal medal

16 hours ago, JFG80 said:

That is exactly my problem, I don't miss a mini base but I have a hard time to make out targets in a ground battle.

@*Trummy1125

My take on this, works with every plane:

- bomb fuse 2 seconds, 250kg bombs

- dive 30-45° down to 200-100m above ground towards your target - works with a shallower approach too, steeper and you will lithobreak

- as soon as your target disappears below your nose you release

- pull up

- watch fireworks

did it yesterday in the BF 109 F1. To identify targets it really helps to play on extended movie settings - eg backgroundscale against the flickering.

But don't expect to do it for SL - you still get tons of spawn points, but virtually no SL, I think 2 SL at 100% per ground target -.-

Edited by Mr4nders0n
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

Glide and dive bombing tutorial done. From the recording of the vid my impression is that dive bombing is no real option for attacking ground units. From around 4-5K feet i could only track the target truck with zoom. In normal view is was almost impossible to find. Ingame you will also not know its exact location - like i did in training room - and for most planes you will need more altitude for a real dive bombing run and from those alts i sadly think it is not possible to really see what you want to hit. Nevertheless, enjoy:

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, AgathosDeimon said:

Glide and dive bombing tutorial done. From the recording of the vid my impression is that dive bombing is no real option for attacking ground units. From around 4-5K feet i could only track the target truck with zoom. In normal view is was almost impossible to find. Ingame you will also not know its exact location - like i did in training room - and for most planes you will need more altitude for a real dive bombing run and from those alts i sadly think it is not possible to really see what you want to hit. Nevertheless, enjoy:

Thanks for that!

That is exactly what I am doing but as I said before, the most difficult part is the spotting...

I am running my PC at maximum settings but still have a hard time.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Hi ! Thank you for your work !

I have a question regarding your last commented fight, particularly about the last encounter and your victory (around 8'25"). I might have missed something though.

I always have a hard time with deflection shots and either kill enemy planes at the beginning or lose enough time  and energy to get kill by one of his mates (or himself) before I can get a good shot, mainly due to inexperience I guess. At 8'25" you were in the typical situation where you have to pull your nose higher to anticipate the trajectory of the enemy, and either lose vision for a moment or elevate your view to keep the enemy in sight but lose the gunsight. I use a TrackIR so I guess my choices are either "kinda" stand up from my chair (as I do now) or most likely set a higher multiplicator for the Z axis of the head tracking (I am zeroing it with an offset from the beginning but it's not sufficient), or set one of my commands to add a manual elevation in parallel (I don't know if it's possible though to have both trackIR and Z axis elevation bound on another key, gotta try). Apart from practice, any opinion regarding that ?  

Still, in your video, it seems you do not even need to anticipate the target speed and trajectory. The gyro-computing sight of your P51 doesn't seem to be affected as you pull your lever and stays centered. The moment your enemy is set on fire, he's right in the center of your sight, when the two of you are pulling up. Are you using a specific set-up for that (such as vertical compensation for your MGs, or something like that ? I wish I could separate convergence and vertical targeting .. :() ?

These might be idiotic questions or I could have missed something in the previous commented fights, though. I apologize in advance if that is the case but I'd like to have your views.

Thanks ! :) 

Edited by Psikobeck
medal medal medal

There are not stupid questions. I made this Flightschool excatly for that. :)

But last point first. I use verticial targeting, cause else in most plane all shots will fall below you aiming point in the gunsight. I usually use a convergence of 250m in the P-51D and try only to shoot at fighters once they are closer than 400m. Sadly WT has convergence to one point and not gun harmonization as used on most WW2 fighters, therefore the bullet spread and the lethal zone for planes with wingguns in WT is kinda of small.

Next thing. The K-14 Gyrogunsight does something in WT, but what excatly noone knows. I only use it to judge if i track my target trajectory right, not more. And it the replay the gunsight just stays fixed, as you can see in the vid. With the Gs i pull to get the right lead, the diamond part of the gunsight would normaly lagging behind the circle part.

Also when you look at replays, and my commented fights are always replays, as i cannot do such in live recording, the replay displays the position a bit off. Ingame my lead was a bit more, about 1/2 to 1 plane length to get those hits in.

Which brings me to you first point. I don not stand up, i just center my view prior to take off so that my view axis is a little higher than default. So when i pull Gs and ingame the head crunches down, i basicly have the normal default view over my nose, which gives around 1-2 degree extra deflection i can pull without losing sight. But still often, especially against fast target you can not avoid losing sight momentarily.

But more important, i try to only use deflection shots relatively close. I judge this by using my gunsight diameter and compare it to my targets wing spam. I try to discipline myself to not fire before target is wingspan is atleast 1/2 of gunsightring diameter, better 2/3. In the Vid i would guess the distance is only around 250-300m, might even be less.

And last thing, you need to train and get a feeling for deflection. For the beginning i would advice that you mostly stick to one plane family that uses similar guns with similar ballistics, as that will also have an effect on how much lead you need.

And last thing. PING. In WT everything is server authorized. So the lead you need to pull varies with your ping. Higher ping, a bit more lead normaly. Some people might argue that this is not much, but one has always to keep in might, that aircombat is fast paced. So 50ms or 100ms difference in ping between games really  make the difference. Personally i do not stay in games with pings above 140ms because of this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AgathosDeimon said:

There are not stupid questions. I made this Flightschool excatly for that. :)

But last point first. I use verticial targeting, cause else in most plane all shots will fall below you aiming point in the gunsight. I usually use a convergence of 250m in the P-51D and try only to shoot at fighters once they are closer than 400m. Sadly WT has convergence to one point and not gun harmonization as used on most WW2 fighters, therefore the bullet spread and the lethal zone for planes with wingguns in WT is kinda of small.

Next thing. The K-14 Gyrogunsight does something in WT, but what excatly noone knows. I only use it to judge if i track my target trajectory right, not more. And it the replay the gunsight just stays fixed, as you can see in the vid. With the Gs i pull to get the right lead, the diamond part of the gunsight would normaly lagging behind the circle part.

Also when you look at replays, and my commented fights are always replays, as i cannot do such in live recording, the replay displays the position a bit off. Ingame my lead was a bit more, about 1/2 to 1 plane length to get those hits in.

Which brings me to you first point. I don not stand up, i just center my view prior to take off so that my view axis is a little higher than default. So when i pull Gs and ingame the head crunches down, i basicly have the normal default view over my nose, which gives around 1-2 degree extra deflection i can pull without losing sight. But still often, especially against fast target you can not avoid losing sight momentarily.

But more important, i try to only use deflection shots relatively close. I judge this by using my gunsight diameter and compare it to my targets wing spam. I try to discipline myself to not fire before target is wingspan is atleast 1/2 of gunsightring diameter, better 2/3. In the Vid i would guess the distance is only around 250-300m, might even be less.

And last thing, you need to train and get a feeling for deflection. For the beginning i would advice that you mostly stick to one plane family that uses similar guns with similar ballistics, as that will also have an effect on how much lead you need.

And last thing. PING. In WT everything is server authorized. So the lead you need to pull varies with your ping. Higher ping, a bit more lead normaly. Some people might argue that this is not much, but one has always to keep in might, that aircombat is fast paced. So 50ms or 100ms difference in ping between games really  make the difference. Personally i do not stay in games with pings above 140ms because of this.

Thanks for your answer !

I forgot that replays kinda gives you some "approximations "when you watch it, and you don't get what you had in game exactly. So that's explain the gunsight's immobility.

I guess what I need most is practice to get the "felling" of a good shot ! I think I got things right already for most of what you said, except maybe shooting from too far away with a slightly high convergence for .50 calibers and smaller one (I use 300-400m for 7.5 to 15mm and 500m to none for canons depending on if some are on the wings or not, which is perfect for RB, but SB, not much i guess). I also tend to flight anything that sounds fun, depending on how long I have to wait in queues, so It's not what would be called sticking to one plane family...  :p: mostly EC2/3/4 Ger, EC2/3 Brits, EC3US and lately some flights with the ki-83. I'll try to stick to energy fighters for a while. So I guess practice will do the rest.:B10:

Thanks for the advices ! :good:

medal medal medal

Not something we have to do in WT currently, but nevertheless something a pilot should practise, crosswind take offs and landings.

I also managed to save some good replays against the germans which will provide a good base for some defensive flying demonstration. Lots of material and i have to go through it and sort it out, but stay tuned.

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 2