FRB Basic Training and EC Tutorial

Folks i have set up a youtube channel for sim

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzAubQq22lN7DJbo0rkM_w

The Basic training course will be completed soon, an little EC tutorial is also online and i want to add new vids regularly.

The approach behind my Flightschool is that i want to teach flying as i was told to in real life. This mean i will stick to real life procedures as close as i can and the game allows. I will only deviate from them if planes FM behaviour or game settings force me to do. And although i am not a Flight instructor myself, you will hear many different flight instructors in my vids that i had the joy to fly with in RL and to learn from.

If you have a special request, just PM me or answer in here and i will see what i can do.

Edit: Per Request i directly link each vid:

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 17

I strongly recommend to look at these vid's they are very good and as far as I can judge it - it's real piloting in War Thunder SB game. I do it in the same manner in most planes.

If I can make a wish to @AgathosDeimon It would be a vid explaining the tactical benefits you will get with the "go around the air-field" approach. You can check if its safe to land or not, and you can abort the landing to avoid an attack on your self, a player on your side or a attack on the air-field it self.

I would also like to see a approach with to high airspeed and different techniques to slow the plane down to get the correct and sane airspeed before setting the bird on the ground - Sideslip as the first technique that strikes me.

Edited by Senilix
medal medal

@AgathosDeimon - please post each video separately in OP or each in own post so that people see in minatures what is there and can watch the one they want.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Senilix said:

If I can make a wish to @AgathosDeimon It would be a vid explaining the tactical benefits you will get with the "go around the air-field" approach. You can check if its safe to land or not, and you can abort the landing to avoid an attack on your self, a player on your side or a attack on the air-field it self.

Less a tactical benefit, more a tribute to normal flying procedures. In normal operations - war or civil - you will approach an airfield using the standard pattern. That way, you always have the field close enough and can easily watch out for traffic. Also as you might notice i always fly left patterns normaly. Thats also standard procedure, cause in plane with two seats the Pilot will occupy the left seat. In a left hand pattern he can easily see the runway, keep track of other planes in the pattern etc.

In combat situations i do a modified pattern with a quick approach. Will pack than on the list and make a seperate vid.

Also noted is a vid explaining common erros in landing approaches and how to correct them.

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 1

Tactical advantage: if aaa starts to shoot, there is enemy chasing you ;) Theoretically it works if you land instead but on pattern you have more speed to evade

Landing in the direction of takeoffs also minimise chance of collison with plane taking off.  And will put AF AAA between you and any bot that got lost

Edited by przybysz86
  • Upvote 2

Agathos, consider adding the videos or at least your YouTube channel to your profile / activity / status updates? You could then add a link to your status updates in your forum signature to ensure access to your training material. 

Thanks folks. Lesson #9 the last part of the basic training is currently uploaded.

After that i have the following two projects noted:

"Common errors in landing approaches and how to correct them" this one will take some time, as i have to write a kind of storyboard and have to explore the abilities of my videocutting software to see how i can visualize some mistakes best in direct comparision to a good approach.

"Combat landing, how to get back to mother earth quick and safety in hostile skies" this should be done quickly.

Also i added a link to my signature and about me page. Thx for that hint gruber.

And could someone do me a favor and post a test comment on one of my vids at youtube? I have setup my channel so i have to clear comments before they are shown. But i have no idea how youtube informs me about a comment i can look over and clear. ;)

Edited by AgathosDeimon
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AgathosDeimon said:

And could someone do me a favor and post a test comment on one of my vids at youtube?

done

• Upvote 1

After flying germans and russians a bit this week, it struck me how important it is to set trim for most of their planes in testflight and save the settings to have a nice and balanced plane for EC and FRB.

So i today decided to do a quick tutorial on it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

@AgathosDeimon idea for vid: carrier operations - landing, take off. I know it's not of any use now in SB but it might help someone in custom battles, during events and hopefully when WWM gets here.

• Upvote 3

Just now, AgathosDeimon said:

@przybysz86 Great idea. I will do one in the near future. Which nation allows carries in training room? Brits?

every carrier plane except Japan will start on carrier in test flight and in case of Japanese planes they start on airfield but carriers are on the map too.

Top job on those tutorials. Many thanks.

For everyone who might wish to try the carrier tutorial when it comes out with Japanese aircraft,

I think I recently spawned in test flight with Japan on a carrier. You need to change the default test flight mission because some offer carrier start.

• Upvote 1

Actually Some Very nice Videos here mate,

Great work clear enough details.
Tho maybe a few more safety pointers and few bits of info need sorting out but all is good.

(Re: Bomber flap deployment, Excessive Re-trimming is only needed if flaps lowered to high a speed and cause porpoising, A lower speed Current Config STALL Speed + 10mph(16kph) works better.

@Sshadow2015 Not a bomber expert at all. Included it so i do not miss a plane type or configuration, so info given was basicly things i noticed while live recording the vid.

And here per request by @Senilix the common errors in landing approach. Jezz that was a challenge, as at 1st my recording software didnt safe a dam second of game footage and i only realized it, when i close WT and checked my vid folder...so i had to take all footage again in a second round...o_o

But i think the result was worse the trouble. :D

• Upvote 2

Very few planes and specially WW2 era planes should be doing POWER OFF APPROACHES..
Almost all of these specify a 2-3* Glide slope with power on 25-65% with full flaps until over threshold start of flare.
(If you are coming in at idle for the last 250-1,000m then your approach was to fast/high)

The entire final leg should be flow at the same speed all the slowing down should be done Before or as on turn to final but NOT actually on late final,
The last 1,000m or so should be a minimal input phase and stable speed with minor power adjustments to adjust pitch (elevator should not be needed if trimmed on final until flare)

Much like most modern planes also (Cesna 172 power on until threshold/flare, 737 even sometimes power on until Main gear touches then into reverse.)

But a good example is Spitfire (early) To keep the Required 175-185kph Landing speed with full flaps the entire final approach requires 50-65% power on a 2-3* Glide slope and if trimmed properly (+22-26% Nose up) due to the drag from flaps and gear you CANNOT Maintain a 3* glide slop with -400/-600ft/min for last 1,000m without power on no elevator input is needed just power changes. on final MOST planes you should barely need to touch the elevator at all until over threshold and you cut the power If Trimmed properly!

Note: Still great videos and very informative.

Edited by Sshadow2015

I agree that in WT you will need a good amount of throttle to hold the desired approach speed. But beside the P-38 approach in my vids you can see that i have throttle standing at somewhere around 25-35%.

But thats a WT oddity, cause for some reason most planes just experience to much drag in full landing configuration. For comparison just take a look at DCS TF-51 or P-51D and compare the boost pressure necessary to hold 130-140mph in full landing config and at a good approach angle.

Edited by AgathosDeimon

Very nice @AgathosDeimon, I only wish you were able to make the errors a big as I can perform with the adrenaline pumping out of my ears after a engagement :DD
I will have to train to performing the corrections in safe conditions by building it more into my muzzle memory, and then i will be better prepared when I need to do those corrections in a real fight :fighter:

medal medal

Carrier ops video is online. But man that was exciting. Was the first time up with a A6M and didn't expect its view in landing attitude being so bad. Took me a dozen approaches before i got one i could show to the audience. o_o

• Upvote 1