Traingle_

Bell XFL "Airabonita"

Another poll (READ POST BEFORE ANSWERING)  

40 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you like to see this aircraft in the game?

    • Yes!
      33
    • No! (Explain why below)
      3
    • Don't mind
      4
  2. 2. If yes, Regular, Premium or Gift

    • Regular
      11
    • Premium
      18
    • Gift
      4
    • I said no in the previous question
      3
    • I said don't mind in the previous question
      4
  3. 3. What BR??

    • 2.0
      8
    • 2.3
      4
    • 2.7
      7
    • 3.0
      4
    • 3.3
      4
    • 3.7
      5
    • I said no in the previous questions
      3
    • I said don't mind in the previous questions
      5
  4. 4. What rank?

    • Rank One
      5
    • Rank Two
      28
    • I said no in the previous questions
      3
    • I said don't mind in the previous questions
      4
  5. 5. Do you think the 37mm Autocannon should be a Modification?

    • Yes
      23
    • No
      6
    • Don't mind
      11


Hello once again and today I'm going to suggest a plane that I'm very surprised that hasn't been suggested yet. That plane is the XFL Airabonita, a very cool American fighter plane that I think would make a great Premium or Gift aircraft. Here's a brief history in this plane.

 

 

On November 8, 1938 the U.S. Navy placed a contract with the Bell Aircraft Corporation for a single prototype of the company's Model 12 fighter (which was developed for the Army Air Corps as the XP-39). The Navy was not yet ready to consider the use of aircraft with tricycle-landing gear (such as was found on the XP-39) on its aircraft carriers, and the prototype (designated the XFL-1) was therefore to have a tailwheel undercarriage. Other changes included the use of underwing radiators, installation of an arrestor hook, enlarged vertical surfaces and restressing of the airframe for carrier operations. First flight of the XFL-1 took place on May 13, 1940. Problems with the Allison engine delayed delivery of the Airabonita to the U.S. Navy until February 1941, and then undercarriage trouble caused the aircraft to fail its carrier qualification trials. By December 1941, the XFL-1 was back with Bell in New York for modifications, but Navy interest in the type waned quickly after the start of the war and further development of the type was cancelled.

 

 The fuselage was shorter than that of the P-39, the vertical tail surfaces were redesigned, and the airframe was stressed for carrier operations. The canopy was of a higher profile than that of the P-39, and the pilot sat higher in the cockpit. The wing was of larger span with greater chord. The dorsal intake was smaller and shallower than that on the YP-39. Armament was to have been two 0.30-inch machine guns in the fuselage nose, plus a 0.50-inch machine gun or a 37-mm cannon firing through the propeller hub, although no armament was actually ever fitted to the XFL-1 prototype.

 

The XFL-1 was later used for non-flying armament tests, and later destroyed. For many years its remains were visible at the dump at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Maryland.

 

XFL-1%20Airabonita%20Destroys%20A6M2%20Zero%20B%20amp%20W_zpsn4v6f5zy[1].png

World of Warplanes' XFL shooting down a A6M2

 

Spoiler

Airabonita-informational[1].jpg

 

bell_airabonita[1].gif

 

XFL-1Airabonita Drawings (2)[1].jpg

 

 

Specifications

 

Crew: One

Length: 29 ft 9 in (9.07 m)

Wingspan: 35 ft 0 in (10.67 m)

Height: 12 ft 9 in (3.89 m)

Wing area: 232 ft² (21.6 m²)

Empty weight: 5,161 lb (2,341 kg)

Loaded weight: 6,651 lb (3,017 kg)

Max. takeoff weight: 7,212 lb (3,271 kg)

Powerplant: 1 × Allison XV-1710-6 V-12 piston engine, 1,150 hp (858 kW)

 

Performance

Maximum speed: 307 mph (494 km/h) (Yes I know, its slower then a Hurricane but who cares??) 

Range: 1,072 mi (1,725 km)

Service ceiling: 30,900 ft (9,421 m)

Rate of climb: 2,630 ft/min (13.4 m/s)

Wing loading: 29 lb/ft² (140 kg/m²)

Power/mass: 0.17 hp/lb (280 W/kg)

 

Armament

Guns:

2 × 0.30 cal (7.62 mm) machine guns

1 × 0.50 cal (12.7 mm) machine gun or 37 mm cannon (Maybe as a Modification?)

 

maxresdefault[1].jpg

 

The real Airabonita flying.

 

 

So yeah there you have it, a Naval P-39 that ,like I said in the beginning, would make a great Premium or Gift aircraft. What do you guys think?

 

Anyway I hope you liked my suggestion and yeah that's it from me.

 

:salute:

 

 

 

Edited by Traingle_
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I support it for the general tree and the 50cal and 37mm should be upgrades

Edited by *seadogpirate
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree would be useful, no hurry but nice to see one day

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rank 1? all P39 and Variants are bricks, youll keep getting owned by Bi-Planes, a cannon won't be much use when everyone will out turn you. no, No more P39s.., devs should be Focusing more on Bombers and Jets for more countrys, this thing as a rank 1 Premium, would maybe only be good for Catalina Clubbing, but only if it had the Cannon. take a P39 and try to kill a Fully upgraded and Spaded Bomber, you'll get Dominated. i can honestly say now, in 2.0 where this, and all P400/P39s beong. you'll get Heavily out Performed by P-40s, All Bi Planes and even the OP Hurricanes and Bf110s. either way, if they add it as premium and you spend money on it, good luck not out turning even SB2Ms lol 

Edited by IDreamOfShadows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2016 at 9:17 PM, IDreamOfShadows said:

Rank 1? all P39 and Variants are bricks, youll keep getting owned by Bi-Planes, a cannon won't be much use when everyone will out turn you. no, No more P39s.., devs should be Focusing more on Bombers and Jets for more countrys, this thing as a rank 1 Premium, would maybe only be good for Catalina Clubbing, but only if it had the Cannon. take a P39 and try to kill a Fully upgraded and Spaded Bomber, you'll get Dominated. i can honestly say now, in 2.0 where this, and all P400/P39s beong. you'll get Heavily out Performed by P-40s, All Bi Planes and even the OP Hurricanes and Bf110s. either way, if they add it as premium and you spend money on it, good luck not out turning even SB2Ms lol 

 

You serious?  The Cobras are among the most agile American aircraft in the game, and are very deadly provided you don't fly like an idiot (i.e. turnfighting with biplanes).

Edited by Z3r0_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2016 at 0:17 AM, IDreamOfShadows said:

Rank 1? all P39 and Variants are bricks, youll keep getting owned by Bi-Planes, a cannon won't be much use when everyone will out turn you. no, No more P39s.., devs should be Focusing more on Bombers and Jets for more countrys, this thing as a rank 1 Premium, would maybe only be good for Catalina Clubbing, but only if it had the Cannon. take a P39 and try to kill a Fully upgraded and Spaded Bomber, you'll get Dominated. i can honestly say now, in 2.0 where this, and all P400/P39s beong. you'll get Heavily out Performed by P-40s, All Bi Planes and even the OP Hurricanes and Bf110s. either way, if they add it as premium and you spend money on it, good luck not out turning even SB2Ms lol 

Really..........The P39 is a great plane to fly in the right hands. You don't turn fight with planes that can out turn you obviously. 

medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2016 at 3:43 PM, BLUEBLACK_EQUAI said:

Really..........The P39 is a great plane to fly in the right hands. You don't turn fight with planes that can out turn you obviously. 

Don't know, didnt like the P-39s at all, they're bricks to me, i like the P-51 with Cannons alot better, get a lot of kills with it, where as with the P-39 i dont. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:17 AM, IDreamOfShadows said:

Rank 1? all P39 and Variants are bricks, youll keep getting owned by Bi-Planes, a cannon won't be much use when everyone will out turn you. no, No more P39s.., devs should be Focusing more on Bombers and Jets for more countrys, this thing as a rank 1 Premium, would maybe only be good for Catalina Clubbing, but only if it had the Cannon. take a P39 and try to kill a Fully upgraded and Spaded Bomber, you'll get Dominated. i can honestly say now, in 2.0 where this, and all P400/P39s beong. you'll get Heavily out Performed by P-40s, All Bi Planes and even the OP Hurricanes and Bf110s. either way, if they add it as premium and you spend money on it, good luck not out turning even SB2Ms lol 

I said rank 1 because of the XFL's weapons. As someone said before, they could be two XFL's, one with 2x 7.62 and a .50cal and the other one with 2x 7.62 and a 37mm. One of the them could be the general tech tree and the other a premium/gift aircraft. Plus, I think you need to fly your P-39 a bit more. On my main account, I love flying the P-39.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Traingle_ said:

I said rank 1 because of the XFL's weapons. As someone said before, they could be two XFL's, one with 2x 7.62 and a .50cal and the other one with 2x 7.62 and a 37mm. One of the them could be the general tech tree and the other a premium/gift aircraft. Plus, I think you need to fly your P-39 a bit more. On my main account, I love flying the P-39.

 

I'd argue that they should both be premium, just with the one with a 37 mm having a slightly higher BR (on the account of the weapon's power, but not too much higher as it's not an easy weapon to use against a maneuvering fighter), as the Airabonita was a prototype series (the "X" in the designation being the giveaway).

 

Out of curiosity (and an off-topic question), why would you have more than one account?

Edited by Z3r0_
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:27 PM, Z3r0_ said:

 

I'd argue that they should both be premium, just with the one with a 37 mm having a slightly higher BR (on the account of the weapon's power, but not too much higher as it's not an easy weapon to use against a maneuvering fighter), as the Airabonita was a prototype series (the "X" in the designation being the giveaway).

 

Out of curiosity (and an off-topic question), why would you have more than one account?

Yep that could work. And why do I have two accounts? Well I dunno.

Edited by Traingle_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.