Leichter Panzerspähwagen 2cm Sd.Kfz. 222

With the addition of the ground force tank modelling methods being released by Gijin about a month or so back, and me having a moderate knowledge of autodesk programs (though very little in 3DsMax) I figured I'd try my luck at rending up one of my personal favourite AFVs from WW-2 that sadly has very little chance of ever actually making it to the battle fields of War Thunder. One can dream none the less and if I can actually import this into a single player mission that would be good enough for me.

Anyway here is a rendering of the basic model. Still much more work to come, but for now I have the base model down. Hopefully more updates to come. Don't mind that super lame MG placeholder for now.

EDIT: newer images, in game version coming soonish.

UDqSee3.png

Mk3itF3.png

Image archive of older version.

ttdeFKq.png

vXIkPs7.png

Any other fans of the Sd Kfz 222 out there?

Edited by EndlesNights
  • Upvote 29
medal medal medal

Looking good! Who knows, maybe when armored cars come out (eventually) this could be the first on Germany's list. If nothing else, it could be a premium for those people who want the 222 despite it probably not being the most competitive vehicle.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 3 months later...

Long await update.

Modeling work is near completion, their is some work that still needs to be done mainly finer detailing (though some details will only be done texture side), weld lines and of course texturing, but I will begin uploading it into the client side soonish. I'm considering using a Afrika Korps style base skin similar to that seen in the Littlefield collection. Though I'm open to suggestions.

But until then perhaps some additional images of the current model.

vXIkPs7.png

MugJLBr.pngMg1JhSY.pngxwtzwY1.png

Edited by EndlesNights
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal

Well, time to switch over to this I suppose :p:

medal

looks very good! 

about the camo I would say give it a tan camo as default since the desert camo sticks out like a sore thumb in urban and forrest maps.

But also add the historical DAK desert camo and the dark grey standart camo (the one that gaijin made light grey) and the whitewash of course!

Only two questions why is the barrel of the Mg34s barrel octagonal and are you planning on adding the mesh to the top of the turret? 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, DonHornegger said:

about the camo I would say give it a tan camo as default since the desert camo sticks out like a sore thumb in urban and forrest maps.

But also add the historical DAK desert camo and the dark grey standart camo (the one that gaijin made light grey) and the whitewash of course!

:good:

Only two questions why is the barrel of the Mg34s barrel octagonal

Because if you look all in game MGs in are octagonal, mine is just not smoothed or textured so it's much more noticeable. I could switch it over to 12 sided cylinder but I was trying to emulate the same style of models that already exist in game. And have been looking at a number of in game models quite closely.

planning on adding the mesh to the top of the turret

Yes but not by modelling it. Modeling a wire mesh would just uses up a lot unnecessary polygons, traditionally I've noticed that chain fencing-esc designs are done by using single solid panels with a wire mesh texture/material over top of it. This is how all wire meshes are currently done ingame.

Edited by EndlesNights
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, EndlesNights said:

Because if you look all in game MGs in are octagonal, mine is just not smoothed or textured so it's much more noticeable. I could switch it over to 12 sided cylinder but I was trying to emulate the same style of models that already exist in game. And have been looking at a number of in game models quite closely.

Oh hey never noticed that!

Yes but not by modelling it. Modeling a wire mesh would just uses up a lot unnecessary polygons, traditionally I've noticed that chain fencing-esc designs are done by using single solid panels with a wire mesh texture/material over top of it. This is how all wire meshes are currently done ingame.

ah ok that makes sense! 

well keep up the good work! 

if you need any data just hit me up! Im allways happy to help!

Edited by DonHornegger

1 hour ago, DonHornegger said:

if you need any data just hit me up! Im allways happy to help!

The diagrams I used for an outline game from Panzer Tracts Vol 13, as well as reference work from the real world 222 that was part of the Littlefield collection.

I did pick up a digital copy of Preliminary Report No.8, but that mostly focuses on the earlier variant of 222 so not all the data matches up, but they are very similar.

Edited by EndlesNights
medal medal medal

The diagrams I used for an outline game from Panzer Tracts Vol 13, as well as reference work from the real world 222 that was part of the Littlefield collection.

I did pick up a digital copy of Preliminary Report No.8, but that mostly focuses on the earlier variant of 222 so not all the data matches up, but they are very similar.

So you are making the later B version with the 30mm frontal armor and the 90PS engine? 

If that is the case isnt the 222 missing this box?

Unbenannt2.1.png

Edited by DonHornegger

It wasn't present on the diagrams I was using that were presented in Panzer Track Vol 13, nor does that storage box appear on the Littlefield collection which is a later Ausf B variant. Did all later variants have that box historically? Because it is extremely simple to add a box, and move the jack to the other side of the vehicle.

IMG_2265.jpg

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Research shows a total of 5 series of Sd kfz 222, only the 5th serried possess the additional storage bin on the side. I will be changing my model to reflect the Sd Kfz 222. Ausf.B 5. In additional I will be moving the jack to the starboard side of the vehicle, removing the triangle hubcap which didn't appear of the 5th series.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

29 minutes ago, EndlesNights said:

Research shows a total of 5 series of Sd kfz 222, only the 5th serried possess the additional storage bin on the side. I will be changing my model to reflect the Sd Kfz 222. Ausf.B 5. In additional I will be moving the jack to the starboard side of the vehicle, removing the triangle hubcap which didn't appear of the 5th series.

sounds good!:good:

• 2 weeks later...

Editing the front Image to include some of the external changes, will have have in game drive video soonish. Spare wheel with or without canvas cover thoughts? 

Also I was just doing my own translation of the page for others to read if they wanted to.

Spoiler

Country of jurisdiction: Germany
Manufacturer:
Ironworks Weserhütte Bad Oeynhausen (Enlwicklung)
Year of construction 1935-43
Source of inspiration: D666 / 14 of 5 November 1942
Dimensions in refer to: Version B with chassis type V

Engine: Manufacturer type AU / Horch 3,5L (3,8L)
Cyl. Number Arrangement: 8, V-shape 66 °
Bore 78mm
Stroke 92mm 
Displacement 3517 cc
Compression ratio 6.3: 1
number of revolutions 3600
Power Output 75 HP (Note, this is for the 3.5L , 3.8L version outputs 89 HP
Power to Weight 15.62 HP/t (Note, with the 89 HP engine will have 18.54 HP/t)
Valve arrangement: hanging
Crankshaft Bearing: 5 Sliding
Carburetor 1 Type Solex32 JPF
Sequence 1-8-3-6-4-5-2-7
Starter Bosch BJH 1,4 / 12 RS 6-46
Alternator Bosch RKC 130/12 825
Batteries 2 12 Volt 75 Ah
?Fuel pump? Solex pump
Cooling: Water
Coupling: Einscheiben,tr. F&S PF 20 KZM
Transmission: AU/Horch Einhiets Schub
Number of Gears; 5 Forward, 1 Revers
Drive Wheels: All Wheels
Drive axle Ratio: 1:6.375
Top Road Speed: 80km/h (90km/h)
Drive Range: 350km
Front axle: Single wheel
Type of Steering ZF Roß Schnecken
Turning circle All 10m, Front only 17m
Suspension Type Front/Read: screw? (Independent springing)
Lubrication system central bird
Brake pads manufacturer: AU/Horch
Wirkungsweise Mechanical hydraulic

Brake type: inside
Footbrake effects 4 wheels
Handbrake effects 4 wheels
Type of wheels: Steel sheets
Tire size front 210-18 ground
Tire size back 210-18 ground
Distance Front Back 1610 (1646) mm
wheelbase 2800mm
Ground clearance 260mm
Length overall 4800mm
Width overall 1950mm
Height overall 2000m
Fire hight 1750mm
Chassis weight 1960 kg
Adm. Total weight 4800 kg
Net load 600kg
Seat 3
Power consumption 28.8 litre per 100 km
Oil consumption 0.2 litre per 100km
Fuel Capacity 50+50 = 100 litre (another source told me two 55 litre tanks for a total of 110)

Armour Values

Upper front 14.5 later 30mm
Side and rear 8mm

Turret front 14.5

Side and rear 8mm

Services
Incline 20 degrees
Climbing 250mm
Fording depth 600m

Classification: Light Standard Armour Scout Car

Armourments: 1x 2cm Kwk 30/38 (with 180 rounds)

+ 1x MG 34 (1050 rounds)  (this number seems to fluctuate quite often with sources between 1000 and 1300, my model has 1200)

Also if anyone can find a source for a turret traverse speed that would be wonderful. Else I'll just use ~9°/s as a base line.

I'll also make a post about the armour scheme and damage model that I intend to be using some time this week.

Edited by EndlesNights
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
On 24.1.2017 at 8:48 AM, EndlesNights said:

Editing the front Image to include some of the external changes, will have have in game drive video soonish. Spare wheel with or without canvas cover thoughts? 

without the canvas would look better I think! 

On 24.1.2017 at 8:48 AM, EndlesNights said:

Also if anyone can find a source for a turret traverse speed that would be wonderful. Else I'll just use ~9°/s as a base line.

@EndlesNights sorry for the late reply I looked into it a bit and found some usefull things.

first of all this

turret traverse.PNG

which made me think that 9°sec would be a bit slow for engaging aircraft. this is how the pedestal looks like 

yGupNp1.jpg

Thing is the turret is hand cranked but with a relatively high gear ratio of 40°/turn so it takes 9 turns of the handweel to traverse the turret horizontally.

Two turns of the handweel should be possible per second with a handweel with a 16cm diameter.

For the elevation the ration is even higher at 65°/turn. All of this can be read here and some more ^^

4FUtC58.jpg

also found this but im not sure what this thing means if anyone has an idea please tell me!

guess it means diameter since 57 inches is about 145cm which seems reasonable

traverse.PNG

hope this helps! 

Edited by DonHornegger
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Been a lot longer than I have wanted for an update, so I thought I'd throw up a quick render of some of the skeleton I've put together to show that i'm still alive and still working on this project. Sorry for the potato quality. More to come much sooner.

OR0z4zZ.gif

9NzKIOe.gif 

Edited by EndlesNights
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

In game SOONish!

tdEGgIF.png

It drives! I still need to refine the driving model as well as code in the suspensions so it will work in game though.

DM is working as intended, though the xray models seem to be replaced with the damage models.

still don't have any textures done other than some basic wire mesh though the transparency doesn't seem to be working (I'll look at that later)

I'll see if I can get the cannon shooting tomorrow. As well as the antenna animated along with the suspension.

Let the Blitzkrieg Begin!

Hkkr9Q6.png

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal

Very nice!

medal