Dodo_Dud

Warbonds - pros and cons

In a recent thread, an intersting OT discussion evolved which unfortunately ended when the thread got closed:

Advantages of doing warbonds:

-They are flexible to player taste. If the task does not suit your style of play, change it. Combine plane and tank battles as you seem fit.

-You can just play and gain many of them on the side.

-You can get premiums (tanks and planes) of all nations so far up to T34.

-They involve no risk other than running out of time.

-You can influence the time window in which they are open to fit your need.

-You can do other things (spade, wagers, boosters, events) at the same time.

-In contrast to GE-wagers, you always have the option to do them.

-You don't need to squad in order to do them.

Disadvantages:

-You will have to invest time into play almost each day and a little more on about 10-15 days a month.

-You can't freely choose what premium you get, you only have a limited choice, which you know before you embark on the project.

-You won't get any T4 this way.

-You need a T4 vehicle in order to get a premium vehicle.

-They don't carry over from one month to the next.

I really like to do them most of the time.

Hornet 331 remarked the following points:

-The are as inflexible as it gets, since you can't carry them over to next moth, meaning if you can't reach a goal all your effort is worthless for this month.

-"just playing and gain them" doesn't work, ~80% of them have goals that the average player wont reach, especial on the 3rd stage.

-this leads to the other point you need to finish the 3rd task, else you have no chance on getting any of the actual tanks/planes

-they evolve no "risk" but they are a hugh time sink, afair you need to play for 20 days finish all task each do to have a go at the vehicles, sometimes even more

GE are easier to obtain, with less effort...

I played it exactly for the first month after they introduced it and as many other people came to the conclusion that the system is basically worthless. The effort/reward ratio is way out of wack.

Now if they would make a carry over system or degradation system, where the warbonds can be accumulated things would look way different.

-Since you can change the task many times, you should generally be able to reach your goal. There are many very doable tasks there, and many more are more doable as they sound. But I admit that I do avoid some tasks because I find then silly or very luck dependent.

- If "just playing your game" doesn't work, change the task to something you like to do in game.

- If you do the math, task 1 and 2 will give you 1800 points in 30 days of play. And they really dont take long, from 2-5 games. Depending on your desired premium vehicle, you will have to do between 7-18 third tasks. In other words, you can toss as much as 23 of the third tasks and still get your T2 premium.

- Yes they are a time sink. Welcome to War Thunder! I would say to do all three takes (me) an average of 8-10 missions.

I totally agree with you: The most rational way to obtain premiums is through the use of real world cash. It takes by far the least amount of time. It also supports the game and the people who make it. But I actually play for the fun of it, so I rather spend an hour in game having fun than a minute at work earning the same GE-value. And while I have a choice, others may not have it.

Regarding your final remark: I could also see ways to improve the system. But other than you, I would not conclude that something is basically worthless just because I don't like it.

One easy improvement would be this: Let warbonds expire shortly after their month as is, BUT allow all colors for last months task. So if you don't make it in that month, you can use another few days to still get enough war bonds from the next months color. This might cost you the next premium, but at least you get the one you already invested in.

A second option would be to replace the missing warbonds with GE (on a % base).

This system is not for people who have a job, familiy or anything that prohibits you to play the game at least 2h a day.

Well, it works for me, and I do have a job and a family. And I dare say you can do a premium in under 2 hours a day. But you should only do it, IF you enjoy playing the game.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

This was the 1st month that I concentrated on the war bond tasks.  I found them, for the most part, rather easy.  Albeit at times some of the T4 tasks could be rather time consuming.  The time consuming ones for me were to kill x number of fighters, bombers, or attackers.  The latter the most time consuming since not many fly attackers at higher BRs.  X number of assists were frustrating to me as well.  

Winning x number of games, killing ground targets, and best squad some of the easiest.

1 tip is that one only needs to end a match in the appropriate tier for the task.  For example,  if one needs to win a game for a T4 task,  one can use 2 of the T3 DOs 217s 1st then the 2 T4 DOs last for the win.

I was able to get the Russian hurricane and so far i love the plane.

One last thought.  If one finds the tasks too hard or difficult, simply don't do them.  No need to complain about them.  

medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

Albeit at times some of the T4 tasks could be rather time consuming. The time consuming ones for me were to kill x number of fighters, bombers, or attackers.  The latter the most time consuming since not many fly attackers at higher BRs.  X number of assists were frustrating to me as well.

I would generally skip these tasks. As a somewhat logical way around: Fly at BR3.7. That is the lowest you can do T4 at.

Doing assists on purpose is a waste of kills. When you spade a bunch of fighters, before decent ammo belts are available, this may be an idea. Next time I end up with this task I will try damaging a lot of ground units lightly, as they do give assists as well I think. That might be more efficient.

Winning x number of games, killing ground targets, and best squad some of the easiest.

I generally avoid tasks that force me to win plus do something odd and counterproductive, like get a rocket kill or rescue a virgin during full moon. I like the "get one golden award" or get three golden or silver awards. They go quick. Also win once with more than 3000 points is a quick task.

1 tip is that one only needs to end a match in the appropriate tier for the task.  For example,  if one needs to win a game for a T4 task,  one can use 2 of the T3 DOs 217s 1st then the 2 T4 DOs last for the win.

Unfortunately, this is not correct. When the task checks conditions, T4 must have flown. Which means you are right for winning. But if for instance you kill ground in T3 and then fly T4, all that ground killed before the T4 was flown, won't count. And so on.

One last thought.  If one finds the tasks too hard or difficult, simply don't do them.  No need to complain about them.

I just switch task then.

Regarding appropriate tier plane...

For the kills, assts, crits, etc.  The correct tier needs ro be flown.  However, for awards(ameritch/thunder, terror of sky, mission maker, best squad, etc)  only last plane needs to be T4.  

You are right about skipping tasks that you don't like.  2 auto skips for me are unguided and double strike with a win. 

1 hour ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

For the kills, assts, crits, etc.  The correct tier needs ro be flown. 

You only need to fly a T4 before you do kills with less. You can spawn and instantly j-out of a T4 and then do everyting with T1 if you please.

Edited by Dodo_Dud

10 hours ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

"You can influence the time window in which they are open to fit your need."

How does one do this?  My tasks use to start at about 5am local time.   This weekend i didn't play as i was out of town.  Now they start around 1pm local time.   Can this be altered some how?

Yes. The tasks for the day have a window of 22 hours. When that time window is up, the next one starts with your next login. So shifting it to a later point is easy. Just login later that day.

If you want it back earlier, you can move it ~2h per day by logging in at 11am, then 9am and so on. Just do it, AFTER the old time frame expired. Don't wait for it to happen logged in, I don't think that works.

Alternatively, you can skip a whole day and login at the desired time.

Edited by Dodo_Dud

Dodo Dud's advice is spot on for the most part.   The best way to short cut most of the tasks and complete them in the fewest missions is to fly Americans at 3.0 to 3.7, and Russian T-34-85's.    It really helps if you are both a tanker and a flyer.   If you are both, then you can pick and choose your missions, always checking the other to see if its easier before swapping them out for the easier ones.   Once you learn what is hard and what is easy, you can complete all three tasks in 4-10 missions.   Today I had these tasks:

1.   Kill three enemies.   One mission, flying Americans

2.   Paid to swap one I didn't like, got "Kill 32 GT's with bombers".    I put the two SB2C's, the Invader and the Dauntless in my American averaged 3.7 rack and completed it in two missions.

3.  Paid to swap another mission in tanks, got "Play two games getting Best Squad".   That's a piece of cakes in tanks, just stick to your green squadmate like glue and shoot what he shoots at.  No matter what happens, you'll get it.   Took two missions.

I tend not to like the missions that require a win along with other conditions, or missions that put your fate in the hands of folks you can't control, or missions that set a high bar like the 3000 pt task.   Also that "kill attackers" task is always a sucker bet, switch it out as the only attackers that see frequent play are tier II Americans and that task comes up in tier III and IV requirements.

I usually find that the tier II and III flying missions are the easier completed, but tier IV gets easier with tanks.   Either way you always want to adjust your BR as low as you can.  The tier IV Russian t-34's squeak in at just 5.3 and under, while the tier IV Americans can get by at an averaged 3.7 and about 3.0 for tier III.   With the American planes you usually just want to bomb the crap out of GT's to take high places on the scoreboard or take first strikes or get things like anti-mech and thunderer.   So you'll end up using those P-47's a lot.

You only need to fly or drive ONE qualifying Tier IV (or III) vehicle first in order to have everything else used after it count as well.   If you forget, and use a lower tier vehicle first, nothing it does counts.

What are the benefits of Warbonds?

Well, they're about the only things keeping me playing these days.   So much of the game is broken.   Crap roulette rewards, ever more grindy grinds.  Tier V is completely broken in Arcade, no reason to play in either AF or GF.    Higher props are also broken with bomber spam and 3 minute missions.   Motorboats coming soon, along with high tier radar guided SPAA in 1.63 excite no one.  But for some reason, I log in, do my five to ten missions and collect my bonds every day until I get the thing I want, then I take a break.   This month it's the 3500 bond Ram tank, so I can't really take breaks.  The only fun left in the game is at the lower and middle tiers.  

We're in the 9th month of bonds and so far I've collected  7, with two months that I didn't want what they were offering so I just grabbed some bush camouflages and some boosters and quit.

1 hour ago, YoMama2 said:

I tend not to like the missions that require a win along with other conditions, or missions that put your fate in the hands of folks you can't control, or missions that set a high bar like the 3000 pt task. 

You only need to fly or drive ONE qualifying Tier IV (or III) vehicle first in order to have everything else used after it count as well.   If you forget, and use a lower tier vehicle first, nothing it does counts.

Actually, if you try the 3000pts, it is not as difficult as it may sound, if you strike ground and play to win. That is why I like it: Winning and 3000pts can both be done by the same action - pound ground.

Actually, with all missions that require you to win somehow, you can fly the T4 whenever you like. Just don't forget it in the heat of battle.

Edited by Dodo_Dud

another question....

Have the task slightly increased in difficulty over the last few days?  Maybe I'm dreaming this but I'm sure one of the tasks were to get 1 of the following awards :  terror of the sky/Hero of sky, thunder/ameritech, punisher/balancer, wingman, or mission maker.  Seems like now balancer, ameritech and terror of the sky has been taken out of the equation.  Those are much easier to obtain than their higher requirement counterparts.  

I've also think I've noticed harder T3 tasks...but maybe its just my imagination.  

50 minutes ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

another question....

Have the task slightly increased in difficulty over the last few days?  Maybe I'm dreaming this but I'm sure one of the tasks were to get 1 of the following awards :  terror of the sky/Hero of sky, thunder/ameritech, punisher/balancer, wingman, or mission maker.  Seems like now balancer, ameritech and terror of the sky has been taken out of the equation.  Those are much easier to obtain than their higher requirement counterparts.  

I've also think I've noticed harder T3 tasks...but maybe its just my imagination.  

No, they both exist. With this one, you only need it once. I like that one. The other requires 3x at T4.

I can't really tell though. I was done on the 20th since I did all three each day. I have not bothered to do more, since the other prices seem not worth it to me.

Edited by Dodo_Dud

I don't like the 3000 pts because I never see it in planes, only with tanks -- and only with tier IV.    3000 points in planes is a POC, 3000 pts in tanks is a 10 kill, multi-base capture game.

The only difficulty difference I've ever noticed is that they seem to be tougher on the weekends.    Mostly it's just random.   I've had days where I liked neither task presented to me so many times that I ended up trading GE's for a new one.   That hasn't happened lately, though.

On 9/27/2016 at 5:05 PM, Dodo_Dud said:

Funny, it is my most prefered T4 mission.

Well, in ground strike it's ridiculously easy.  Yomamma said it's hard in tanks.  That may be true.  I don't play tanks.

If you play both AB and RB you also get 2 more chances for a mission you like.  For example, I've ground out a lot of T4 Meteor Shower awards by flying the AD-2 in RB, where there are usually plentiful soft targets to abuse and you frequently go undetected until you start killing them, where in arcade, surviving in an AD-2 long enough to rack up the 60 or 70 ground kills you need is a daunting prospect.

medal

The Warbond system does not offer any significant "mid-range" prize (well, appart from the only decal available to purchase).

What I mean by this is, you have your high tier rewards (the premium vehicles), your low tier rewards (the boxes/boosters/test drives) and basically nothing mid-tier related.

You either go balls to the wall and try to get the premiums, or just ignore the system and get a booster here and there.

There needs to be some sort of "not bad, not good" reward for doing those tasks. Something for the players that play regularly but not dedicate their lifes to the game.

Give us exclusive camos, decorations and decals for a reasonable price and I bet the interest on the system will grow.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

@JonnyGabriel that might be neat, but I'm content just buying boosters, so long as those boosters are premium and therefore never expire until you use them.  I think one of the go-arounds the boosters were regular, so you had to use them right away.  Last month I finished with 1800 warbonds on the nose, so I bought 9 boosters.  I do wish they'd be RP boosters more often - it feels like I get about a 2:1 ratio of silver lions to RP - but I've got them and I don't need to use them until I'm ready.

medal

On 9/27/2016 at 4:05 PM, Dodo_Dud said:

Funny, it is my most prefered T4 mission.

I think everyone's preferred mission is different. I personally like "staves to splinters" (unguided x 2) because I find that one to be great fun (rocket Tu-4s to oblivion with a Me-262? What's not to like)?

For all its disadvantages, I still think battle tasks, while a bit stingy, are one of the more player-friendly features Gaijin has added to the game (still doesn't hold a candle to the ×2/×5 incentive they used to have, but that ship has sailed).

Edited by zwergziege
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

15 minutes ago, zwergziege said:

I think everyone's preferred mission is different.

Today I just realize that "almighty" is quite doable. So I will likely try it more frequently when I see it again.

17 hours ago, l_AM_GOD said:

Which one is almighty?

Win. Kill one plane with fighter, 3 ground with attacker and 3 with bomber.

1 hour ago, Dodo_Dud said:

Win. Kill one plane with fighter, 3 ground with attacker and 3 with bomber.

Ah yea that one is great to get... Do E-2, HS129, and FW 190 A4... Spawn a Do, dive into a pillbox, drop all 4 bombs killing the pillbox and surrounding artillery / AA and crash.  Spawn a HS129 and shoot up some armored cars or whatever else is close and you're done, slam into the ground.  Spawn a 190 A4 and head on the nearest plane, slaughter him, and the task is completed.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

26 minutes ago, l_AM_GOD said:

Ah yea that one is great to get... Do E-2, HS129, and FW 190 A4... Spawn a Do, dive into a pillbox, drop all 4 bombs killing the pillbox and surrounding artillery / AA and crash.  Spawn a HS129 and shoot up some armored cars or whatever else is close and you're done, slam into the ground.  Spawn a 190 A4 and head on the nearest plane, slaughter him, and the task is completed.

No, it isn't if you are ALONE. Someone still has to WIN the sh..t. And likely it is YOU.

So I actually used the attacker first (still plenty of soft targets), and then switch to fighter (by now, there are red planes near the spawn, saves time). Then bomb to victory.

Edited by Dodo_Dud

44 minutes ago, Dodo_Dud said:

No, it isn't if you are ALONE. Someone still has to WIN the sh..t. And likely it is YOU.

So I actually used the attacker first (still plenty of soft targets), and then switch to fighter (by now, there are red planes near the spawn, saves time). Then bomb to victory.

Gotcha Gotcha.  Everyone has dif ways of doing it, it's quite an easy task though and is always a relief to get that one.  I generally don't play alone you know :P

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I can't remember how many games it has taken me in the past to complete all the tasks, but today must have been a personal record. 

T2 - "Winged Ally" 2 assists.   1 battle.

T3 - "Higher than the sky" Finish 1-3.  3 battles

T4 - "Best in the air"  (hero of sky, Thunderer, Survivor, Mission Maker, Punisher, Wingman).  1 battle (Thundered)

So all three done in 5 battles.   Obliviously the best 1 can do is 3.  I didn't change tasks for any of these so having the RNG pick all three task that can be completed in a single battle each would be rather rare.

I don't believe I have ever gotten Almighty before.  That one looks like fun.    

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cpt_Sum_TingWong said:

I don't believe I have ever gotten Almighty before.  That one looks like fun.    

I tried it a while ago and ran into several difficulties

Red wins. (the problem with all missions in which you can't spend all your effords on winning)

Game ends before you are done

Game runs out of targets before you are done. (this is why I send in the attacker first)

3 hours ago, l_AM_GOD said:

I generally don't play alone you know :P

I was aware ot that ;-)