Tantor57

MG 131 effectiveness

52 posts in this topic

On 18.09.2016 at 3:54 AM, Ryan97226 said:

I can't find any sources but i think this is damage by 7mm HEI

40e13afa43977b29dff8382997c29c25.jpg

I think these are just regular 7,7mm hits that were already repaired (faired over) and sprayed with base paint.

7.7 mm were ineffective at common aerial combat fighting distance 50 to 200-300 meters. However things like radiator, control cables could be damaged  by 7.7 mm. P51 was highly prone to be damaged by any kind of caliber due to it's uder belly radiator. oil or water leaking meant RTB ot bail if you were far from your base. However it was inefective to tear planes apart.

On 21.9.2016 at 2:42 PM, Tantor57 said:

7.7 mm were ineffective at common aerial combat fighting distance 50 to 200-300 meters. However things like radiator, control cables could be damaged  by 7.7 mm. P51 was highly prone to be damaged by any kind of caliber due to it's uder belly radiator. oil or water leaking meant RTB ot bail if you were far from your base. However it was inefective to tear planes apart.

tell that the BF-109 or IL-2 :D

1 hour ago, KillaKiwi said:

so what does that tell us?

Ballistics (page 8,9), penetration (page 46) and fillers (page 58 - 75) of German 13 mm ammo.

Edited by Schleifer_ger

"Flying Guns of World War II; Development of Aircraft guns, ammunition, and installations 1933-1945" by Anthony G. Williams and Emmanuel Gustin.

13 x 64B Pzgr for the MG-131:

17mm/100 meters/90 degrees, 
10mm/60 degrees
 4mm/30 degrees 

300 meters 

11mm/90 degrees
7mm/60 degrees. 

After hitting the dural plate, changes were negligible, only reducing penetration by 1 or 2 mm. 

16 minutes ago, TheJoker1432 said:

Does the MG 131 have HE in the game?

IAI is supposed to be HE

I'm pretty sure the MG 131 is underperforming. It should deal more explosion damage and should have a higher chance to cause fires than other heavy MGs. The 13mm projectile is like 33% bigger than the .50 cal.

I'm not sure about having a higher chance at starting fires. The m23 incendiary round was very good along with the Japanese incendiary rounds. 

56 minutes ago, fufubear said:

I'm not sure about having a higher chance at starting fires. The m23 incendiary round was very good along with the Japanese incendiary rounds. 

well it doesn't get more incendiary then putting thermit inside shells....

Based on a quick Google search I see that the m23 has 5.83 grams of incendiary content (IM-28 = 10% potassium perchlorate, 40% barium nitrate, 50% magnesium aluminum alloy) while the MG 131 only has .3 grams of thermite. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area but I have a hard time believing that thermite is this much more effective that IM-28.

Edited by fufubear

42 minutes ago, fufubear said:

Based on a quick Google search I see that the m23 has 5.83 grams of incendiary content (IM-28 = 10% potassium perchlorate, 40% barium nitrate, 50% magnesium aluminum alloy) while the MG 131 only has .3 grams of thermite. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area but I have a hard time believing that thermite is this much more effective that IM-28.

just me thinking thermite burns at around 2500°C(peak temp) cuppling that with duraliums  melting point of around 650°C u get the picture also Alu is really good at absorbing heat and spreading its through its body so the integrity is bound to fail at some point

Edit: also not to forgett that round has also explosive in it spreading the thermite nicley in wings etc   (hello fueltank):D

Edited by JG27_Iluminas

4 hours ago, JG27_Iluminas said:

just me thinking thermite burns at around 2500°C(peak temp) cuppling that with duraliums  melting point of around 650°C u get the picture also Alu is really good at absorbing heat and spreading its through its body so the integrity is bound to fail at some point

Edit: also not to forgett that round has also explosive in it spreading the thermite nicley in wings etc   (hello fueltank):D

Now that's just simple projection isn't it?

1 hour ago, JG27_Iluminas said:

my thinking being an metallworker :D

Pretty much what I've said. :3

9 hours ago, JG27_Iluminas said:

.3 grams isn't a whole lot energy getting put out. Its a bit like electricity, you can have a ton of voltage, but without enough actual current it won't do diddly squat. Same problem here. The heat would get spread out much too thinly to actually do something on its own to the structure.

Fuel tanks are also armored precisely so that small HE rounds don't rupture them with tiny bits of shrapnel. 

MG 131 IAI is the actual HE ammunition and is by far the best to use. A 1-2 second well aimed burst on control surfaces or during defelction shots can cause a good amount of damage and will very often deal crits to control surfaces/wings and is really good to cause all sort of leaks. I played few games in my D9 using the MG only, it did get me 4 pilot deaths and 5 kills due to badly damaging water/oil radiator of the ennemies and a lot of crits. It's pretty powerful in head on, badly damaging the engine, setting it on fire. These results were obtained through a sessio of 20 games. In short, they are very effective at making the ennemy plane leak out for everywhere.

For me, when the hit detection works, they perform realistically, they are wonderfull but definitely, they are not to be ignored, on the top of that they have very similar ballistics to 20 mm.

Definitely more powerful than the 7.7 mm.

3 hours ago, Tantor57 said:

MG 131 IAI is the actual HE ammunition and is by far the best to use

Can't as it is missing as you can see here:

shot_2017_02_04_21_36_42.jpg

Its iai and its second from the bottom