xHDx

Adjust DirectX version for best performance

I have created a Windows App to help people with this. It is Unlicensed, though I would like credit where possible.

You can download it below the full post.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

NOTE as of Update 1.77: Using the Application below is still possible. However choosing the "DirectX 9" option in the Application will provide no use as DirectX 9 has been removed or disabled from the game! If you choose the DirectX 9 option, the game will use DirectX 11 by default (I believe). OpenGL and DirectX 11 functionality still works fine.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hi,

This thread is a revived thread that I posted a long time ago, but I have managed to dig it out , thanks to the help of a forum moderator (You know who you are and Thanks!).

Here is some info on what DirectX is, how it affects performance and why you should choose the correct version:

What is DirectX & Why does it matter what version I use?
DirectX is an underlying API that is used to build games. It's the piece of software that allows the device driver to determine what instructions it needs to process the game and it's components. In applications for windows (games or standard programs with a UI), DirectX comes in different versions. Generally, the higher the number, the better the performance and compatibility with more modern devices like your GPU.

Not all hardware and software support all versions of DirectX.

You'll find that old games use DX9, recent games use DX11 and new games use DX12. War Thunder can utilise multiple versions, including DX9 and DX11 but not DX12 (yet :) )

Here are the guidelines that will tell you if you are capable of running DX11 and DX12. DX9 will already likely be supported:

DirectX11 is NOT compatible if you have a GPU:

• That is manufactured by NVIDIA and uses an older architecture than NVIDIA Fermi (GeForce 450 being the lowest card to support DX11).
  • That is manufactured by AMD and uses an older architecture than TerorScale 2.0 or GCN 1.0.

Different DirectX versions also give different performance results. Typically, older hardware will work better with DX9, because it may not support DX11 or DX12, fully, if at all.

Here is a comparison of how each DirectX version performs and what exclusive features the newer versions get:

DirectX9.0 - Probably the most trusty version to date. Released in 2002. This can be relied upon if you have problems with DirectX11 in War Thunder. This version sets the standard for many GPU pipeline operations that are simply not available prior to this version. Generally offers the best performance on older systems (those that do not support DX12) and on modern systems, where Dx12 is not available. You can rely on this version and fall back to it if needed. All GPUs being manufactured right now support this version. Drawbacks: Shadowing is far worse than DX11/OpenGL, Tessselation is not supported, colours are severely washed out vs DX11/OpenGL.

DirectX11.0 - Introduced in Windows 7 platform update, and from Windows 8 onwards, this version added some extra features such as Tessellation, GPGPU support and improved Multi-threading. Many older pieces of Hardware do not support this version. DirectX11.1 was also introduced, but wasn't taken on-board very well, because it was exclusive to Windows 8.1, which didn't get much attention. Other versions such as DX11.3 and 11.4 were developed to compliment DX12. Drawbacks: Very high performance cost.

DirectX12.0 - Introduced exclusively in Windows 10, this version provides the best game performance, when the developer programmes in the correct way with their resources. This versions is currently not support by many games. War Thunder does not have support for this version. Provides significant performance benefits over DX9 and DX11.x. Drawbacks: Does not work on old systems. A fully capably GPU is needed to take full advantage of it. Not many games are supported.

Others - OpenGL is also used in WT, and is an alternative API to DirectX. It provides performance benefits up until DirectX12 in certain configurations. However, many prefer to just go with DX altogether. Drawbacks: Very high performance cost (more than DX11 on certain systems), Colours are ever so slightly different vs DX11. Blurred graphics at far render distances.

Advantage: Works on almost all GPUs (those that support OpenGL 3.0).

Which GPUs supports which API?

A full list of DirectX:GPU support can be found here.

You can find your supported version of OpenGL by installing this simple program.

You can also find your supported DX Version by doing the following: Hit Windows key >> type "Dxdiag" >> hit enter. Click "Yes". Your DirectX support versions will be shown at the bottom of the list. An example of mine can be found here: http://imgur.com/YnK6yAf

If your version of OpenGL is less than 3.0, you will not be able to use OpenGL in War Thunder.

How do I adjust my game for best performance?

A long time ago, I wrote a post about how to adjust your game to make it run with each version. After digging, I have found how to adjust them (again). Here you go:

Note:

• Make a copy of your Config.blk file before you edit your current one and save it somewhere incase the one you edit doesn't work!
  • If you want to see your Renderer manually, you must result to editing this file. The launcher does not let you do this.
  • If a new Update becomes available, you may need to replace the whole file, so remember to make a copy of it, to somewhere safe on you PC for later reference.
  • If you messed up your Config.blk file and you didn't save a copy, delete the file and it will automatically regenerate when the game starts. However, you will need to change all your Graphic and Sound options again.

Editing this file is entirely safe, if you do it in the correct manner!

1.   Open C:\WarThunder\config.blk (or wherever your War thunder Directory is located)
2.   Change the values to match what is shown below, depending on what API version you want to try. If DX11 doesn't work, DX9 will. OpenGL will most likely work on your system too:
                                                   Option no longer Supported                           Option no longer Supported
        DX11                                                    DX9                                                     DX9Ex (Windows XP and up)                              OpenGL              
driver:t="dx11"                                     driver:t="dx9"                                                     driver:t="d3d9ex"                                      driver:t="gl3"        (That's a lowercase 'L')
d3d9ex:b=yes                                      d3d9ex:b=no                                                     d3d9ex:b=yes                                           d3d9ex:b=yes
disableFlipEx:b=yes                            disableFlipEx:b=yes                                          disableFlipEx:b=no                                   disableFlipEx:b=no 

3.   Save it!

4a.   If you choose the launch the game from the launcher, head to the properties of the Config file and tick the "Read-Only" box at the bottom of the General tab, to stop the Launcher from making changes to the file. Note though, the game will warn you that changes to the Config.blk could not be saved, every time you click Play...

4b.  If you choose to launch from Aces.exe, choose the correct version (either 32/64-bit in WarThunder/win32 or WarThunder/win64). This will stop the warning message appearing.

- PM me if you need more help!

A comparison of the different versions  can be found here:

DirectX 9.0 : http://bit.ly/2c5WIer

DirectX 11  : http://bit.ly/2bMPBmC

OpenGL     : http://bit.ly/2bEjHtK

Disclaimer: I take no responsility for any damage or changes caused to your PC or files; you take full responsibility for any damages or changes. You may change files, but you do so at your own risk!

Note to mods: Please don't burry this where I can't access it, or at least notify me if you have to. Thanks :)

App Download:

Spoiler

Download updated as of17/09/2017 to v2.1.1.17 

File Name: Publish.rar  |  Size: 292 KB

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzIqJedKxU8gcptRMjW1Fnqrc7omg

App Changelog:

Spoiler

v2.1.1.17 (Current)

- Added the ability to add a border around the Application

- Added a Settings Window to Enable/Disable an Application Border and for future features

- Improved error catching and code optimizations

v2.1.1.13

- Revamped the design of the application

- Added loading and display of the Config.blk file itself if users want to edit it manually (requested feature)

- Fixed various controls status and validation

v1.1.1.0 

- Improved Aesthetic quality and readability of the forms to match the new update

v1.0.1.0

- Removed the need for a user-defined Timer variable, used to signify the wait time before Aces.exe's warning message appear: The message is no longer shown when Aces.exe is launched directly from the App.
 (Thanks to War Thunder Forum user, relliK for help and the suggestion)
 - Added full functionality to the Minimise and Close buttons on each form
 - Added alternative shades to the Minimise and Close buttons on each form. Each button should now change shade when the mouse enters and leaves it's boundary.
 - Adjusted UI to give a more consistent look between forms

v1.0.0.0 
 - First deployment

App known Bugs / Unfinished features:

Spoiler

- User is caught in an endless loop when attempting to 'Abort' from selecting a file  (Fixed)

- Checkbox on the main form window does not yet function  (Fixed)

- The "Tick" Picturebox which appear beside the launcher location text box does not appear  (Fixed)

- The description and presentation of each renderer shown on the main form is not yet complete  (Fixed)

- A checkbox allowing an Application border to be added is not yet implemented   (Fixed)

- Alignment/Location of some controls are not finalized  (Fixed)

- Textbox at the top of the main form is for debugging purposes only (Removed From Release)

App Source Code:

Spoiler

Source code can be downloaded here:

File Name: Source.rar  Size: 1.32MB

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzIqJedKxU8gcpucrdE33vWj22GcQ

.NET Framework 4.5.2 is required to run. You can download this here: (Size: 1.1 MB)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=42643

Details:

VS 2017 required unless you retarget the solution to VS Toolset v1.40 (VS 2015 toolset version)

The Application is a Windows Forms Application and uses Classes (though not extensively yet)

The Application relies heavily on code-defined controls so if you are only familiar with using the toolbox to create controls, this could provide additional learning :) 

Edited by xHDx
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal

Hoping to get this pinned as it's quite useful. I hope mods won't delete it for no reason to. Thanks! o7

Edited by xHDx
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I am currently working on a Windows Forms app to make it easier for users to change their settings. It may be a couple days till I get it full working as I have other stuff to get on with :)

Edited by xHDx
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

I have added a Download link to the WFA Application. Feel free to download it :)

It is Unlicensed, though I would like credit where possible.

If enough peeps want the source code for their own modifications, then I will add it.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, xHDx said:

I have added a Download link to the WFA Application. Feel free to download it :)

It is Unlicensed, though I would like credit where possible.

If enough peeps want the source code for their own modifications, then I will add it.

Thanks.

few things ^^

1. you could avoid the 'starting timer' thing completely by calling the aces.exe with the -forcestart option ('aces.exe -forcestart' wont show the question

about starting the launcher to look for updates but instead will start the aces.exe immediatly)

2. instead of adjusting the settings in the current config.blk it may be a good idea to make the app automatically create a copy of the config.blk and work

with that copy instead of the 'original' file... now this ofc would only make sense if you'd implement an option to 'restore' the original settings (renaming

the copy of the config.blk back) - like this ppl could easily revert to their old settings (without even having to know what render they've been using before ^^)

3. what about Dx9ex ? oO as far as i can see you can only choose the original DX9 / WinXP render atm... sorry ^^ but i just had to ask 8D

4. if possible you could (or should maybe) add a tooltip or warning message when people are using the option to write protect the config.blk. i think people

should be made aware of the fact that they may experience issues with a write protected config.blk when they want to change settings in the launcher.

(though tbh personally i haven't been working with a write protected config.blk yet so i dont know exactly what happens or what may happen ^^)

5. now to make it even more complicated ^^ Gaijin recently changed the way the launcher update process is working (seems like they added an updater

for the updater.... err launcher 8D). the new executable that is being started when you start the launcher is the 'run.exe' in the WT game folder. atm

it is being started automatically when the launcher.exe is being executed so it may not be necessary to do any changes to the app but maybe there 

are in the future (or this calling process my cause issue ?!)... may be worth investigating... or add an additional notification / warning that people should

revert to their original files (mentioned in point 2.) if they experience any issues whatsoever... guess this should be done anyway (even though this ofc

is 'common sense'... somewhat... ^^)

bear in mind that i'm not a software developer so i have absolutely no idea how difficult such things are to code (or implement) - so, sorry if i'm giving

you and headache ^^ other than that i have to say that i do like the idea and i appreciate your effort A LOT... good job.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

36 minutes ago, relliK said:

few things ^^

1. you could avoid the 'starting timer' thing completely by calling the aces.exe with the -forcestart option ('aces.exe -forcestart' wont show the question

about starting the launcher to look for updates but instead will start the aces.exe immediatly)

2. instead of adjusting the settings in the current config.blk it may be a good idea to make the app automatically create a copy of the config.blk and work

with that copy instead of the 'original' file... now this ofc would only make sense if you'd implement an option to 'restore' the original settings (renaming

the copy of the config.blk back) - like this ppl could easily revert to their old settings (without even having to know what render they've been using before ^^)

3. what about Dx9ex ? oO as far as i can see you can only choose the original DX9 / WinXP render atm... sorry ^^ but i just had to ask 8D

4. if possible you could (or should maybe) add a tooltip or warning message when people are using the option to write protect the config.blk. i think people

should be made aware of the fact that they may experience issues with a write protected config.blk when they want to change settings in the launcher.

(though tbh personally i haven't been working with a write protected config.blk yet so i dont know exactly what happens or what may happen ^^)

5. now to make it even more complicated ^^ Gaijin recently changed the way the launcher update process is working (seems like they added an updater

for the updater.... err launcher 8D). the new executable that is being started when you start the launcher is the 'run.exe' in the WT game folder. atm

it is being started automatically when the launcher.exe is being executed so it may not be necessary to do any changes to the app but maybe there 

are in the future (or this calling process my cause issue ?!)... may be worth investigating... or add an additional notification / warning that people should

revert to their original files (mentioned in point 2.) if they experience any issues whatsoever... guess this should be done anyway (even though this ofc

is 'common sense'... somewhat... ^^)

bear in mind that i'm not a software developer so i have absolutely no idea how difficult such things are to code (or implement) - so, sorry if i'm giving

you and headache ^^ other than that i have to say that i do like the idea and i appreciate your effort A LOT... good job.

1. Thanks for this, it could save the file size by a bit which is great and de-clutter the first form. It was a real pain getting that to work XD

A lot of it I got help from on the VB forums (made about 4 threads lol) so these guys didn't really know the ins and outs of games and whatnot.

Also something I always wanted to know; Is there any specific way to gather all of the available commands for each executable? For example you mentioned "-forcestart" for WT.

2.Good Idea. Something I could add with ease I think. I will check it out when I've got time :) Thanks.

3.I discovered that the DX9 option will only run without DX9ex UNLESS you have WinXP (I think), but the game chooses this, so I decided to avoid implementing it. I did try changing the settings to a different setup (Enabled 9ex with DX9 on my Win10), and it didn't end well XD. Let's just say my monitor (or the game rather) threw a fit l ;) . In the end I didn't add it because I didn't know the code for checking someones OS. I didn't want people to break their game badly either  :). It was originally considered though.

4. Never thought but it does disabled changing the render when it's on Read-Only. I believe when you click Play it will just produce the same "Could not save settings. Continue" or similar.

5.Funny you say you noticed the run.exe because I didn't either till I started fiddling with the BLK while debugging. But I did notice before that, the game started much quicker with one of the updates (1.59 or 1.61 for sure). Either that or i'm a few nuts loose XD. Maybe the Aces.exe isn't fast enough at reading the config as they would like. My only, farfetched but educated guess :) .

It's a headache considering I have never developed anything with a config file for the program itself. I've only developed mainly 1-form apps on my college course about a year ago. I love programming though so I take it as a hobby now and then. Also, my HDD decided to corrupt midway which didn't help ... the $%^£... haha.

Thanks for the support :D;).

Edited by xHDx
medal medal medal medal

Back on topic, I wish someone had a trick to apply anti-aliasing, without the negative scaling effects or resorting to dx9. I found sweetfx to improve the image with smaa but even turned up all the way only fixes 10-20% of image.

• Upvote 1
medal

1 hour ago, Gallonmate said:

Back on topic, I wish someone had a trick to apply anti-aliasing, without the negative scaling effects or resorting to dx9. I found sweetfx to improve the image with smaa but even turned up all the way only fixes 10-20% of image.

Same. FXAA makes everything blurry so I won't use it.

Now you say it, NVIDIA Profile Inspector supports AA but I'm not sure about how the game takes it:

-Image Snip-

I know you can use ReShade + SweetFX to apply it multiple times over. Not sure about compatibility either. They probably wouldn't work together. The above may be your best bet.

Nevermind, Gaijin has been hiding it from us all along:

All of these images have Anti-Aliasing or Super-Sampling without the use of external files or programs LOL:

Equivalent No AA: http://i.cubeupload.com/jIjvYW.png             Set - "BackgroundScale:r=1

Equivalent 2x AA: http://i.cubeupload.com/SHPeqb.png          Set - "backgroundScale:r=1" to "backgroundScale:r=1.2"

Equivalent 8x AA: http://i.cubeupload.com/yuwhfG.png          Set - "backgroundScale:r=1" to "backgroundScale:r=2"

I assume it's Super-Sampling because the x8 Image has darker colours which result from a higher res image being scaled to a smaller screen size. Or maybe it's the camera tilt.

Edited by xHDx
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

hi, again
:)  please no delte post

i have tested this custom config settings and its working....confirmed

i do not know from which patch its removed from launecher custom setting for DX11

but now 1,61 game acutaly run in DX9 engine and that problem becou i have problem whti blinking textures on ground

why now 1,61 game run under DX9 ??? dont konw (becouse consoles....)

and now when i set confing to DX11 textures are no more blinking !

late i wil post main config becouse i have sepciafied HW setup

Edited by Master_HEMAN
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 minute ago, Master_HEMAN said:

hi, again
:)  please no delte psot

i have tested this custom config and its working....

i do not know from which patch its removed from launecher custom setting for DX11

but now 1,61 game acutaly run in DX9 engine and that problem becou i have problem whti blinking textures on ground

why now 1,61 game run under DX9 ??? dont konw (becouse consoles....)

and now when i set confing to DX11 textures are no more blinking !

They removed it a few patches ago now (around 1.49/1.53) so there wasn't an easy and accessibly way to apply the render settings like before. Wasn't until I and another guy spent ages messing around with the file until we realized it worked. The console version should be using DX because the PS4 supports DX 11.1 or 11.2. It will always work with any of the listed DX versions as long as they keep updating each one. :)

I would delete the cache folders and files within the cache folder just to make sure everything is working fine.

medal medal medal medal

main setting are: in launcher i use setting MOVIE, + 5,1 sound,

main custom config in config.blk are:

enemiesQuality:t="high"

lastClipSize:i=8192

panoramaResolution:i=4096

driver:t="dx11" 

d3d9ex:b=yes   

disableFlipEx:b=no   

i use amd eyefinity 5760x1080 and in game have minimal 100fps in planes...

shot 2016.09.17 18.46.29.jpg

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I will add another update within the next hour or two :)

(My PC decided to corrupt but I saved everything I needed :( )

Uploaded the new update to the link in the original post.

Edited by xHDx
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

When I change backgroundScale I get weird stripes in bloom render, I doubt it has anything to do with AA at all. I think it just changes the rendertarget in post processing pipeline, but it doesn't scale properly with rest.

Anyway, bloom shader while low performance cost has many problems in WT... and don't get me started on AF/AA ...................

Forcing game to use dx11 makes shadows on vehicle better but on ground worse for some reason, like it becomes a box without detail. You can already see on your own screenshot of tank.... shadow under dx11 on ground is bad, but vehicle much better.

shot 2016.09.23 20.41.49.jpg

The problem with AA in WT is that even on 4x it delivers ****-poor quality compared to game engines which are much better in that regard (like almost any engine past 2006 or so........)

Of course AA in WT is cheap, but it's bad. I wish it was much better.

Look at the wing and you can compare between no AA

shot 2016.09.23 20.55.15.jpg

And 4x AA

shot 2016.09.23 20.54.27.jpg

PS. I get best "quality" with leaving the config.blk file alone and messing with the Filmic tonemapper (polynom) in the machine.blk file located at

Documents\My Games\WarThunder\Saves\<your_user_id>\production\

settings{

gamma:r=0
    vignette:r=0.99
    sharpenTPS_2:r=0
    sharpenGunner_2:r=0
    sharpenBomber_2:r=0
    sharpenCockpit_2:r=0
    lutTextureName_2:t=""
    tonemappingMode_2:i=2
    L_inv_white_2:r=0.907
    U_A_2:r=0.459
    U_B_2:r=0.317
    U_C_2:r=0.271
    U_D_2:r=0.611
    U_E_2:r=0.053
    U_F_2:r=0.502
    UWhite_2:r=12.8
    lenseFlareMode_2:i=3
    lenseFlareHaloPower_2:r=0.0639
    lenseFlareGhostsPower_2:r=0.213

}

Edited by ThatRedDot
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

My shadows are on minimum that's why they don't look very good. I don't want my FPS cutting by a 3rd or a half just so they look darker. Waste of resources and a distraction in-battle.

Also, there is no way I'm using FXAA because it samples and blurs the whole screen and it looks horrid vs no AA. Afaik, you can't adjust AA without the option being made by the game if you are using DX11 to draw frames because they tightened up it's code and it locked such an injection out :)

I wish they'd add MSAA as a basic AA option. None of this blurring crap.

I hide AA with sharpness in the tone-mapping to. I just don't like messing with the colours that much. Sharpness makes the game look so much better.

Edit: That moment when you realise there is AA but you're on x4 and need more.....

Edited by xHDx
medal medal medal medal

Before I installed a new Nvidia 3D video card I was using the on-board intel graphics chip with poor 3D performance, so on minimum graphics settings. Still, the Finland tank map was really stuttering / lagging for me, so much so that I could not drive the tank as the frame rate was so slow (around 1 fps) that I could not see how it was moving. Changing the rendering to use DirectX 11 increased the frame rate and made Finland playable.

• Upvote 1

If you have a fairly decent system, is it necessary to force DX11 via the config file? (I7 6700k, 980ti)

Or should it have the smarts to select DX11 and stay applied?

• Upvote 1

with the render set to auto the game should choose the 'best' available DirectX render engine... thus on WinVista/7/8/10

DirectX11 should be chosen automatically (unless the game is being run in compatibility mode or something is broken ^^)

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

I will add another update to the app today but it's mainly for aesthetic purposes that make it look a little less boring :)

If anyone has any feature requests, add them in here.

I am kinda inactive because of my Uni work. I've left VB and I'm studying C# (Which I hate XD). Still, I will add anything you guys want :)

medal medal medal medal

Nice work with the app so far!

I wish I had the ability to make a similar windows app but for CDK and related user missions, since they also use basic text .blk files.

The idea would be to make it easier for the average person to change their vehicles or other simple settings.

For example everyone wants more options when they do a test drive.

But back to your app, if you really wanted too you could update your app to help make the changes for the new Sound Mod support, as well as others like, background scale, render distance, and enemy texture quality.

medal

2 hours ago, Gallonmate said:

Nice work with the app so far!

I wish I had the ability to make a similar windows app but for CDK and related user missions, since they also use basic text .blk files.

The idea would be to make it easier for the average person to change their vehicles or other simple settings.

For example everyone wants more options when they do a test drive.

But back to your app, if you really wanted too you could update your app to help make the changes for the new Sound Mod support, as well as others like, background scale, render distance, and enemy texture quality.

Yeah, I originally had it so that the lines from the file would be filtered and then presented in the app in a text field, but I made it selection based because it was easier and saved changing each line. It also gives an explanation. I guess I could also add the other full editor option back with support for the full file :) 

Edited by xHDx
medal medal medal medal

I meant keeping it selection based but adding those additional options. I mean for the ones that need a specific number entered, it would be a slider scale or place to enter the number.

Edited by Gallonmate
medal

I released the new version. Tell me if you like it or if you need any more features :)

I will add the editor as requested :good:

medal medal medal medal