Heliosiah

knights of the sea
Large ship naval battles - User Suggestions

108 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Estorm732 said:

I'm not sure fighting against Exocets in WW2 large ships would be a good idea. It'd be another case of Maus vs HEATFS or ATGMs.

Which reminds me, wasn't the long firing range one of the excuses against large ships? What about Exocet? I don't know, but a quick search says firing range about 42km and starts seeking target at 12 km. Sounds much more viable for blind fire and spawn killing than BB shelling to be honest?

And main problém Is targeting for it because it has active radar homing so it is Fire&Forget.

1 hour ago, Estorm732 said:

I'm not sure fighting against Exocets in WW2 large ships would be a good idea. It'd be another case of Maus vs HEATFS or ATGMs.

Which reminds me, wasn't the long firing range one of the excuses against large ships? What about Exocet? I don't know, but a quick search says firing range about 42km and starts seeking target at 12 km. Sounds much more viable for blind fire and spawn killing than BB shelling to be honest?

I don't know if anyone has tried this in tanks but according to the wiki Rockets and Missiles can be shot down with machine gun fire. This would be how you counter the missile (assuming it's true that you can shoot them down).

Posted (edited)

My point was, in the official excuses against capitals list, Gaijin says:

Capital ships move so slow that they cannot dodge ANY hits at the distance they are fighting at. The only possible solutions are either boost their speed x5 at least so they can dodge or limit the shooting distance. But [...] that won't solve the problem of shooting beyond visible range. [...] it is possible that one ship can destroy another with a lucky shot. 

Now, in case Exocet is included, will it not have the same results? You can shoot it beyond visible range, and you don't need nearly as much luck (if any) to destroy a ship.

In other words, if it is possible to include a homing weapon that can shoot over visible range, why should it not be possible to include simple shells being fired over visible range? 

Edited by Estorm732

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, *Grayfox061 said:

I don't know if anyone has tried this in tanks but according to the wiki Rockets and Missiles can be shot down with machine gun fire. This would be how you counter the missile (assuming it's true that you can shoot them down).

Literally spray and pray and hope you actually hit the damn thing.

An Exocet is flying at Mach 0.9 at about 1-2 meters above the water. You aren't detecting the thing until it's 6 km from you. That leaves you very little time to attempt to intercept assuming you can hit it. At a certain distance, with a missile that low, some of your guns can't even depress far enough to shoot it. Even worse if you're unlucky enough to have the thing come at you from stern or bow.

It'll be a spawn kill fest of firing the swarm in the general direction of the spawn and getting kills because inertial + radar guidance

Edited by Rovert10

On 23.04.2017 at 1:18 PM, *Grayfox061 said:

To clarify for those who don't know, this is an Anti-Ship missile we're talking about here. Boats do have a place amongst high tier ships.

What a fun to play with it? It looks like you want to copy the worst WT tanks feature for new players into navy: possible die after one hit.

I understand that it may be funny to kill another players with AS missiles, but it is not funny to be killed by missile without any shot.

What is next proposal? Submarines with underwater-fired anti-ship missiles?

:facepalm:

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, PL_Andrev said:

What a fun to play with it? It looks like you want to copy the worst WT tanks feature for new players into navy: possible die after one hit.

Woah there buddy, check your fire. I never said I wanted to have Anti-Ship missiles in the game. I only meant to say that with them Boats wouldn't be useless in high tier battles. Personally I'm conflicted about it, because I don't know how those work against Battleship armor. I don't think they could take out a Heavy or Light Cruiser with one hit but I'm sure they could do some damage. A Destroyer would have real problems if they ate one. However, wether Gaijin decides to add everything from Light Cruisers and up, or keep it to Destroyers as the maximum, we'll still have to deal with these things as the aforementioned missile boat's textures are in the game right now.

Edited by *Grayfox061

If you are devoted to realism, you better be in favor of dying after one hit. RIP Hood crewmen. And if you don't think that should ever happen, you have to stand between the game and realism, with or without ATGMs/ASMs (which I am not even necessarily in favor of myself).

On 4/24/2017 at 3:02 PM, Iprinz said:

If you are devoted to realism, you better be in favor of dying after one hit. RIP Hood crewmen. And if you don't think that should ever happen, you have to stand between the game and realism, with or without ATGMs/ASMs (which I am not even necessarily in favor of myself).

Yeah, the Hood's death was not a pretty one...