What kind of ships do you think should be playable in light of War thunder's small(ish) ship/ boat plan? (I encourage you to read the description of each class below before you vote in the poll so you get an idea of what they are capable of)   201 members have voted

1. 1. Heavy/ Light Cruisers

• Heavy Cruisers
    • Light Cruisers
    • Both
    • None
  2. 2. Destroyers

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Frigates

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Corvettes

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. If you chose no to all of these ships, do you only want boats?

• Yes
    • I did not say no to including ships.
  6. 6. Though it is very unlikely to be added, do you want things like battleships and battlecruisers to be added to war thunder as playable warships?

• Battleships will work in the naval meta.
    • Battlecruisers (less armored, but faster, similarly armed) will work in the naval meta.
    • Both will work in the naval meta.
    • Neither will work in the naval meta.
  7. 7. Monitors

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Auxiliary Cruisers

• Yes
    • No
  9. 9. Though they are the least likely to be playable, how do you think Aircraft Carriers can work?

• They should remain as they are.
    • They should remain as A.I. but available as a form of artillery. (similar to ground forces, but with planes)
    • They should be playable.
  10. 10. Though they are unlikely to be in war thunder as A.I. or playable warships, what capacity do you think Submarines can be in?

• Submarines can be A.I. in the naval meta.
    • Submarines can be playable in the naval meta.
    • Submarines cannot work in the naval meta.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

107 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2016 at 6:10 PM, Mercedes4321 said:

What I find weird is that files have been found for player controlled vehicles like the Artilleriefährprahm D-1:

1920px-Artilleriefaehrprahm_Modell_1.JPG

It goes at 8 knots, but then Gaijin says that a major balancing issue is that larger ships are too slow.

59 minutes ago, Protoboy17 said:

Some news about this boat

shot%202017_4a695027172942430431c7bcf84c

Ok, this is odd. One of the main reasons Gaijin cited some of the "larger" ships not being planned to be playable is mobility and speed. If the Artilleriefährprahm is indeed playable then they can no longer cite speed as a factor that limits the introduction of larger (or regular) warships.

USS Attu.jpg     The USS Attu: Capable of going (around) 19 knots. (this is just an example of speed, not maneuverability)

The main issues that remain in the addition of ships now (if the Artilleriefährprahm is truly playable)  is engagement distance, maneuverability and general balancing. I'm not jumping the gun by saying this makes everything easy for Gaijin to add playable ships. I'm just saying it has an even larger chance if they're willing to add this sea-slug...

P.S. MONITORS ANYONE!?

3 hours ago, *Harbinger2167 said:

Ok, this is odd. One of the main reasons Gaijin cited some of the "larger" ships not being planned to be playable is mobility and speed. If the Artilleriefährprahm is indeed playable then they can no longer cite speed as a factor that limits the introduction of larger (or regular) warships.

I'm guessing the Artillerywhatever is basically the sea equivalent of a Churchill or something.

20 hours ago, Lord_of_Sofa said:

62 men +3 officers

Seems realistic.

<snip pictures>

Wow. Poor sailors. But then I guess these stayed real close to shore, and plenty of the boats don't have life rafts at all.

Edited by tizianenel

54 minutes ago, tizianenel said:

Wow. Poor sailors. But then I guess these stayed real close to shore, and plenty of the boats don't have life rafts at all.

They were used from Norway all the way to Belgium to guard the German supply lines against the British Costal Forces. And of course a number was used on the Danube, where a at least one was lost to Romanian monitors and two others to US tanks.

After "arctic convoy" mission test I was surprising how the game looks good.

Almost open map

Gigantic AI units ("Liberty" class ships)

Proj.122bis / MZ.1 - a "mini frigates" ships (bigger ships that PT-boats) looks really good

Waves impact to ship's behavior

Playable mission

And now Gaijin offers us a extremely small map looks as a Amsterdam or Venice.

This is for sure that for this kind of "maps" there no place for fast Destroyers or bigger units.

Now we see what Gaijin does: they create a small maps for small ships.

They are a masters to put one step forward and next two steps back...

What a nightmare...

On 2/12/2017 at 1:58 AM, PL_Andrev said:

After "arctic convoy" mission test I was surprising how the game looks good.

Almost open map

Gigantic AI units ("Liberty" class ships)

Proj.122bis / MZ.1 - a "mini frigates" ships (bigger ships that PT-boats) looks really good

Waves impact to ship's behavior

Playable mission

And now Gaijin offers us a extremely small map looks as a Amsterdam or Venice.

This is for sure that for this kind of "maps" there no place for fast Destroyers or bigger units.

Now we see what Gaijin does: they create a small maps for small ships.

They are a masters to put one step forward and next two steps back...

What a nightmare...

I'm sure it would be similar to how the maps in air RB work, in the biplane BR range the small maps are super common. Where in the prop plane BR range there are a range of small medium and large maps. Finally, the jet BR range where the large(ish) maps are more common.

Gaijin isn't unfamiliar with large maps, just look at Sinai. Plus, coastal and oceanic maps should be easy to scale, just increase the playable area and scatter some islands and glaciers around. It's similar to ground forces maps as well, when in a tank, you have a very limited play area, but if you hop into a plane there's a butt load of empty space you can fly around.

Though, that map in particular is pretty cramped.

Edited by *Harbinger2167