Mercedes4321

The Landing Craft Tank (Rocket) - The British Rocketboat

So the ships CBT has been announced and I noticed that the Russian starter pack ship has a Katyusha rocket system on it. Upon seeing this I remembered that the British have a ship that is all about just launching rockets at anything that moves, the Landing Craft Tank (Rocket), or LCT (R) for short.

The LCT (R) was a conversion of the LCT Mk III that turned it into a massive floating rocket projector platform. A new deck was added over the top of the area where people were usually placed for landing operations and the front landing doors have been welded shut. On top of this new deck anywhere between 972 and 1,044 RP-3 rocket projectors were placed and the space below the deck was used as a rocket storage area, containing up to 5,000 RP-3s. All of the rocket projectors faced forwards and the only way to aim them was to point the ship directly towards the target and then firing in salvos of 39 to 42 rockets (besides a 12 projectors set up to fire salvos of 3 rockets as ranging salvos). As it was a conversion of the LCT Mk III it was only capable of 9 knots and had 2 500 hp Paxman-Ricardo diesel engines. It had a terrible turning radius due to the small rudders on the craft (it was originally a landing craft, it was not meant to turn that often).

Here are some pictures of the vessel:

LCT(R)_459.png

afalpichen3.jpg

LCT_Launching_Rockets.jpg

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

The last picture shows the low accuracy of British rockets during war. xD

Anyway it's funny ! :)

medal medal medal medal

38 minutes ago, MrMakWASP said:

1 problem..impossible to do direct fire agaisnt enemy ships.

That is one of the most glaring issues with it, though why anyone would ever want to get close with this thing is a mystery. Its a massive floating ammo rack with rockets being out in the open across the entirety of the top of the ship and most of the interior being spare rockets.

medal medal medal medal

I remember seeing something similar to this (Or maybe it was the (LCT (R)) in Call of Duty: World at War during one of the campaign missions where the US Marines were storming an island. Upon reaching the shore, you could call in a rocket barrage to wipe out the Japanese beach defenses to advance. I loved hearing those rocket scream in over head and absolutely annihilate the beach defenses. 

medal medal medal medal medal

The landing crafts were used to fire at the beach during a invasion, all the rockets were fixed elevation rockets that saturated an area.  Found a little bit on the web about it from us navy landing craft (rockets), (probably the same ship as it mentioned that both countries used them)

And I quote

"LCTRs were very effective in the early phases of an assault. The barrage of rockets had the capacity to saturate an area some 700 yards wide by 300 yards deep with 5" rocket propelled projectiles. The aim was to disable enemy beach defenses or to sufficiently diminish their capability to assist the passage of the first waves of Allied troops going ashore. However, they required great skill in handling, navigation and timing. It was essential to be in the right place at the right time.

They were used to give cover to the landing beaches and destroy the enemy and obstacles in the way, so they were very specialized.  They were used in Normandy on the assault of the beaches.  The British and American used them with different regulations.  The british fired them 10 min before the landing.  The Americans 2 min before."

So they were effective at taking out razor wire, blowing holes in defensive walls, destroying a path through a minefield (possibly), destroying machine gun nests and troops out in the open.  I doubt they would do much against pillboxes unless they got a very lucky hit. 

And hitting a vehicle moving on the beach or another ship, good luck in that.

Game play for them would have to be very specialized so that they would be usable.  A storm the beach with machine gun nests, AAA, and artillery near the beach that needs to be taken out before the landing crafts that are carrying the (player controlled tank) land.  (so you would start in your own landing craft, drive it to the beach then once it made it there, you would switch to your tank that you were carrying in on your landing craft.)  With these landing crafts (LCTR) providing support for you.

The enemy tanks would have to be located back far enough (like in real life) that they would arrive a few minutes after the landing crafts dropped the tanks off.

Edited by KillerAce4
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

1 hour ago, Vakr said:

Well for landing craft conversions I would go with either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_Assault#Variants

or this as a premium or target XD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Craft_(Gun)_Tower

Nah, go with these:

Image result for landing craft flak

Image result for lcg(m)

Image result for lcg(l)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_craft#Special_craft

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Now those are nice and very gunboaty....the problem is that the torpedo in WT doesn't care about the target's draft right? I would love for the lovely shallow draft to be a nice aid in avoiding torpedoes...but I know torpedoes act like they run at surface (blowing up the amphibious tanks in WT).

medal

1 hour ago, Vakr said:

Now those are nice and very gunboaty....the problem is that the torpedo in WT doesn't care about the target's draft right? I would love for the lovely shallow draft to be a nice aid in avoiding torpedoes...but I know torpedoes act like they run at surface (blowing up the amphibious tanks in WT).

Correct. At the moment torpedoes run at the surface. It would be great if they would run at a depth of 2m deep enough to his destroyers and large torpedo boats, but to deep to hit anything smaller. This would make them a real alternative to torpedo armed destroyers.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Vakr said:

I think the torpedoes running on the surface was just a work around when it was only planes and you only fought ships big enough to set them off. In those situations you just needed to detect if it hit, not depth as well. I hope they change it now that boats are being added.

medal medal medal medal