Inceptor57

Matilda II's correct color scheme?

So according to various sources, the grey/blue/desert color scheme of the Matilda II is incorrect in the blue scheme. They say its suppose to be a light grey or something.

Does anyone have a picture of a Matilda II with the "correct" color scheme?

IMG_8957.JPG

Edited by Inceptor57
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

No, but I heard the story about it in a video with the Chieftain if I recall correctly. Bovington, who had the Matilda at the time, didnt have the right color to paint it, so they replaced grey with, i believe, pink or red. 

When people came looking at the color scheme of the Matilda at Bovington they scratched their heads a bit at the odd color scheme, but decided "Egh, its xxxx Bovington, they cant be wrong" and thus model builders and everyone adopted the color scheme as if it were correct. 

medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, builder396 said:

No, but I heard the story about it in a video with the Chieftain if I recall correctly. Bovington, who had the Matilda at the time, didnt have the right color to paint it, so they replaced grey with, i believe, pink or red. 

When people came looking at the color scheme of the Matilda at Bovington they scratched their heads a bit at the odd color scheme, but decided "Egh, its xxxx Bovington, they cant be wrong" and thus model builders and everyone adopted the color scheme as if it were correct. 

It was the Imperial War Museum according to the Chieftain, not Bovington.

Imperial War Museum started the whole trend.

4 hours ago, Listy said:

"However about November 1940 a new scheme was specified in G.O 297.  This scheme comprised the tri-coloured disruptive designs now known as ‘Caunter Scheme’.  Very many AFVs and softskins carried this scheme of Portland Stone No.64 basic with Silver Grey No. 28 and Slate No.34 or Khaki Green No. 3 in angular disruptive stripes.  Period G.Os specify Light Stone No.61 or Portland Stone No.64 at various times and a local variation may have substituted a mixed light blue-grey for Silver Grey No. 28.  A scheme for use in the Sudan specified Light Stone No.61 with Light Purple Brown No.49 in patches or stripes."

This one here right?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20 minutes ago, Inceptor57 said:

This one here right?

Correct I believe that's Caunter. There is a note later on about how it weathered. Its been a long time since I read the article.

medal medal

My grandfather spent time on Matilda 1's and 2's, and way back when, when I was still building tank models as a kid, I asked him about that:

He laughed, and said there never was any blue, but some batches of the grey paint they used had a bluish tinge to it, that got worse as it faded.  Never a proper blue, but he could see how some might call it such if they was a bit daft (His words, not mine).

2 hours ago, PantherAl said:

My grandfather spent time on Matilda 1's and 2's, and way back when, when I was still building tank models as a kid, I asked him about that:

He laughed, and said there never was any blue, but some batches of the grey paint they used had a bluish tinge to it, that got worse as it faded.  Never a proper blue, but he could see how some might call it such if they was a bit daft (His words, not mine).

I see, so there was still a bluish hue in the end.

Maybe an improper contrast photo caused the blue to shine and made us all things it is bright blue.

1 minute ago, Inceptor57 said:

I see, so there was still a bluish hue in the end.

Maybe an improper contrast photo caused the blue to shine and made us all things it is bright blue.

That would be my guess, poor contrast photo's and remarks at the time of bluish grey becoming blue in the minds of many.