Sign in to follow this  
hemmerling

From Win8.1 to Win10 today: Mouse+Keyboard User Interface changes?

Hello,

today I updated from WIn8.1Pro to Win10Pro,

at a computer with i7 CPU + Nvidia/Intel4000 graphics.

I downloaded the full game for new.

The changes to the version I used until yesterday: The whole keyboard user interface system changed?!

a)

Ground Warefare, airplanes of Ground Warefare  ( 30-60 seconds fly missions ):

1. Keyboard arrows

win8.1, until yesterday:

up = faster, throttle increase => I liked that

down = slower, throttle decrease => I liked that

ctrl = zoom

win10, today:

up, down, left, right change the orientiation of the airplane ( "rolling" ) => unusuable from my experience

+,-  = faster/slower, throttle increase/decrease

y = zoom

2. Mouseclick-Right

win8.1, until yesterday:

mouse-rightclick =zoom

win10, today:

mouse-rightclick = no function!

So by the new keyboard user interface, I must have my left hand at the +/- of the numeric keyboard, while my right hand is left of the keyboard with the mouse. So I now have to sit "next" to my keyboard, and can´t sit "in front of" the keyboard anymore. 

On the other hand, the zoom function "y" is now even more far away.

But for usabilty, mouse-rightclick for the zoom function is essential for airplanes doing ground attacks! And of course it is VERY helpful for ground vehicles

As I use a 18" i7 notebook, means that I must now not just sit "next" to the keyboard but also "next" to the screen :-(.

So by the completely new download, do I use today a different version,

or is this all forced by Win10 instead of Win8.

b)

With "5" artillery support

win8.1, until yesterday:

Map is displayed

win10, today:

No map is displayed.

I am in mouse-mode,  so display of the rendered environment of my tank, and I must press the "middle Mouse button" to get the map.

This is not a great default mode.

How to get the old keyboard settings back?

How to get the mouse-rightclick for zooming back !?

All changed functions are documented by the F1-help.... so how can everything change from yesterday to today by a new download?!

The Mouse-Rightclick is assigned to the "Tracking Camera Enemy", so... was this the original function with the version on Win8.1 I used until yesterday, but today with Win10 "it just doesn´t work" ?!

I also tried to fly aiplanes with the Air Warfare ( just-flying missions ) to have more time to study the controls. ....

c) Update:

The zoom function is still there sometimes, but the direction of the view moves to the next red enemy (?), or sometimes by pressing mouse-rightclick the zoom is just as long as I press the right-mouseclick. Boring !

I want the old state again !!

medal medal

well there may be a way to recover your old settings but tbh i guess it's more easy to just redo them...

however before you manually rebind your keys you may actually try the different keyboard+mouse presets that are available.

go to the controls setup wizard (lower left corner on the controls window). after you've selected planes or tanks you'll get a

window with a drop down menu where you can select your control method - in this list there are five different presets available

(2 at the top and 3 at the bottom). one of them may fit (test it in a testflight) if not you can still rebind the key manually.

right-click to zoom should also be default in most of the presets but it may be possible that some of them have a doublebind

of the right mouse button in the view controls and the tank controls - you will have delete/remove the keybind for the 'tank:

target tracking' (4th option from the top in the tank controls) and while you are at it you may also want to remove the zoom

camera in the tank controls (3rd option) since it's already set in the view controls.

medal medal medal

I am using since the beginning "Mouse aim" mode.

What confuses me that now with tanks, there is sometimes a zoom function but just on the "next" vehicle and just as long as I press mousekey-right :-(.

This was not true until today when I totally newly installed the WT software on my new Win10 of my the-same-old PC.

For tanks, I was able to replace  "Tank:Target Tracking" by "Zoom camera" to be used with RMB ( right-mouse-button ),

but this "Zoom" works now with the current release since today, just as long as I press the right-mouseclick.

The function "permanent zoom"  linked to the "Y" button can´t be configured :-(. With German keyboard, the "y" is next to "ctrl",  "shift" and "space", so even better than with US/UK keyboards...

While for planes, this zoom is not available at all....

Edited by hemmerling
medal medal

the reason is most likely indeed the upgrade to Win10 - afaik what happens in this 'upgrade' is that Windows doesn't really get updated/upgraded

but rather it's a full new install of Windows and afterwards Windows is 'trying' to recover as many settings and programs as possible from the old

installation. often this works without any problems but sometimes (or for certain software) it doesn't =/

it looks as if the settings for War Thunder didn't make it to Win10 so while many (of not most) settings got synced from the online profile (on the

servers of Gaijin) the local settings got set to defaults and have to be adjusted according to your preferences again...

you will have c:\windows.old\  folder on your harddisk most likely. in this folder your old windows is located (since in the first 30 days after installing

Win10 you can always go back to your old system). you will have a  c:\windows.old\users\<username>\Documents\My Games\WarThunder\ folder

where your 'old' profile (game configuration) files are located... you can copy this over to c:\users\<username>\Documents\My Games\WarThunder\

(replacing the existing files) to get your lod configuration back.

BUT (there is always a but eh ? ^^) usually the ..\Users\  folder is hidden so you wont see it in the Explorer (unless you change some system settings)

and also the access to this folder may be blocked so you have to use admin rights to access it. that's why i said that it's most likely more easy to redo

the settings rather than trying to recover the ones from your old installations ;)

warum brech ich mir hier eigentlich einen auf Englisch ab ? oO verdammt... wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil XD

medal medal medal

a)

It was a 100% new installation, I failed to upgrade from existing Win8.1Pro to Win10Pro, so I newly installed Win8Pro freshly and then updated succesfully to Win10 ( so no garbage left ).

So... the "real" difference by the new installation ( on Win10 ) to the old installation ( on Win8.1 ) is, that the zoom function mouse-right-key must be pressed permanently.... how to report WT this so that they may fix it, if they want?!

No reason to return to Win8.1, as it expected that it will be "discontinued" as fast as Vista :-(...

b)

Now with next-time flight, for airplanes, the throttle up/down was on the arrow keys again... as with old installation.

I just used the "control setup wizzard" and selected the controller layout "keyboard and mouse only (simple)" both for air and ground vehicles....

Edited by hemmerling
medal medal

Problem solved, after some thinking
https://support.gaijin.net/hc/en-us/requests/311166

"keyboard and mouse only (advanced)"
configures "Y" ( or "Z" ) only for zoom.

"keyboard and mouse only (simple)" configures both MSR and Y/Z for zoom.

However, the default settings when freshly installed, is obviously not "keyboard and mouse only (simple)". Thats why I was so confused that the zoom function was working with my old Win8 installation , but not with my new Win10 installation.

So the problem was not Win8 vs. WIn10, but your confusing control configuration.

There is
"Tank control / Mouse aim".
*Zoom Camera: ---
*Tank: Target tracking: "RMB"  ( suggestion: press the button “Remove Bindings”  )

but zoom is configured both for airplanes and ground vehicles by:

"View Controls"

*Zoom Camera: RMB, Y  ( for German keyboard ), RMB, Z ( for US keyboard )

Sincerely
Rolf

medal medal

Sign in to follow this