Northman505

Are British Tanks Good?

On 1/30/2017 at 8:38 PM, Fire4effect said:

Does anyone know if DEVS are planning on buffing the spalling effect more? ..Seems like that's a big missing piece to playing Brits. 

Playing the US, I've definitely had to learn the solid shot approach to knocking out tanks. However the spalling in this game seems to be on the weaker side? But maybe that's reserved for HESH rounds which I haven't used yet. 

I suspect you might have something there.

Sim battles yesterday I spotted a pair of Tigers rushing down a road to my front, parallel to my position. They duck behind some houses as the move. I lined up on the road with my OQF 75mm, where I think they're going to pop out, and wallop the first in the flank, right into the ammo rack.

Nada.

Second game.

Spot a tiger sitting on a hill, and I have a 17Lbr on my firefly. First round right through the gun mantlet and the guy behind it gets hit. The tiger keeps shooting at his target, and I donk the next two shots. Tiger spins round plants one right through my gun mantlet, kills all three crew in the turret (hey, isn't there a massive gun breech bisecting the turret?) and sets off the replenishment ammo rack in the co-drivers position.

You can't physically get from the replenishment rack to the turret in a Firefly! Magic APHE can apparently though, through the Gunner. But a 17lbr round to the face doesn't hurt.

This did leave me feeling a bit like that Jackie Chan meme.

It'd be nice if they included some of the disadvantages of APHE in the game instead of making them the hammer of the gods.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

On 12/29/2016 at 7:20 AM, DarkFenix2k5 said:

Grinding the Brits is nothing but stress and hard work, having to carefully shoot an enemy multiple times to achieve what any other nation can do in one shot without even aiming properly. British tanks have perhaps 10% of the killing power of any other nation, they've been given nothing in exchange. That's not balance.

59d4977ae2e36_WTBritishcrap.thumb.PNG.48

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 7/6/2017 at 12:55 AM, Tactical_Recon said:

Currently the british tank are WAY too overpowered. They are in need of a HUGE ******* NERF. I recommend you to not be an xxxxxxx and use the british tanks.

Are you on glue? 

• Haha 4

i just got the chief mk3 yesterday. along the line what i found was that you are allways on the bottom of the food chain up untill you get the comet and the cent mk1, you start getting some rly nice battles, then more grind cause once you get the mk3 you will be almost allways bottom br against is6 and tiger 2h

but fear not cause the chief delivers, very strong armor in the turret. you get apds stock with 397mm at 100m. im loving the tank. cant wait to spade it.

17 hours ago, zuadao said:

i just got the chief mk3 yesterday. along the line what i found was that you are allways on the bottom of the food chain up untill you get the comet and the cent mk1, you start getting some rly nice battles, then more grind cause once you get the mk3 you will be almost allways bottom br against is6 and tiger 2h

but fear not cause the chief delivers, very strong armor in the turret. you get apds stock with 397mm at 100m. im loving the tank. cant wait to spade it.

You're to optimist...

the Chief Mk3 is now a pain in a** to play :

-> you're to slow to be in position BEFORE the Kpz / T64 and so you're pretty dead if they saw you.

-> The HESH... well you know the situation.

-> The APDS in my opinion isn't that bad but still need around 3/4 shot to kill... and like other Tiers you need to shot the gunner first cause in case of reply you're pretty dead in much case.

The only advantage you got is the turret armor wich isn't enought performant to stop the T6 ammo in same time you could tank some atgm shot if you're lucky.

In my opinion English tree isn't worth to play now... more over when you know that a Ho229 could kill your chieftain with is 30mm...

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, Anack said:

In my opinion English tree isn't worth to play now...

If you want to keep your sanity right dont play british AT ALL.  Is uttelry garbage satisfaction and deep fustration to play any on british against russian or germans.

I hardly see any victory with britcraphis on RB. is like 1 from 10. And I am support my words.

Edited by BOldMan
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

My win rate shows that.

I only play British tank RB and at the moment I'm only at 4.7 with the Sherman Firefly (missing APDS) and the Avenger (missing APDS) and facing usually Tiger 1s, IS-1s and IS-2s with T34-85s and Pz4 F2 and Hs as back ups whereas I have the Cromwell 1 as mine and all that can do it go fast round the flanks and find SPAA to be killed by.

British have by far the worst tanks in game all the way up to T4. Even at t4 with fv4202 and cent mk3/carnevorn your suffing isnt guaranteed to come to an end. Same with T5 with recent nerfs

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glock991 said:

British have by far the worst tanks in game all the way up to T4. Even at t4 with fv4202 and cent mk3/carnevorn your suffing isnt guaranteed to come to an end. Same with T5 with recent nerfs

Rubbish, complete rubbish.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 10/09/2017 at 10:22 AM, Listy said:

I suspect you might have something there.

Sim battles yesterday I spotted a pair of Tigers rushing down a road to my front, parallel to my position. They duck behind some houses as the move. I lined up on the road with my OQF 75mm, where I think they're going to pop out, and wallop the first in the flank, right into the ammo rack.

Nada.

Second game.

Spot a tiger sitting on a hill, and I have a 17Lbr on my firefly. First round right through the gun mantlet and the guy behind it gets hit. The tiger keeps shooting at his target, and I donk the next two shots. Tiger spins round plants one right through my gun mantlet, kills all three crew in the turret (hey, isn't there a massive gun breech bisecting the turret?) and sets off the replenishment ammo rack in the co-drivers position.

You can't physically get from the replenishment rack to the turret in a Firefly! Magic APHE can apparently though, through the Gunner. But a 17lbr round to the face doesn't hurt.

This did leave me feeling a bit like that Jackie Chan meme.

It'd be nice if they included some of the disadvantages of APHE in the game instead of making them the hammer of the gods.

I don't get why the replenishment rack is the last rack to be emptied, why can't it be the wet storage rack under the loader which wouldn't blow up when you get shot pulling around a corner. Also I've been having the same problems. And why is the replenishment rack vertical I swear it was horizontal like the rest of the forward racks in British tanks.

does anyone know why the chieft mk5/4 isnt in the game instead of the mk5?

i hask this cause the mk5/4 was able to shoot apfsds wich seems to be performing better than the apds.

15 minutes ago, zuadao said:

does anyone know why the chieft mk5/4 isnt in the game instead of the mk5?

i hask this cause the mk5/4 was able to shoot apfsds wich seems to be performing better than the apds.

We don't know and we know

Problem is, the same shat will happen even with Mk10. 

Stillbrew seems like having artificial weak spots on the left side (while viewing it from the front), around the canon and turret ring it has also weakpoints (no Stillbrew there).

So you either get commander and gunner killed alongside with breech and turret ring, depending which way the shot entered your turret.

Your only luck? Having four people inside your tank.

So, hull down position is a constant hope, you will OHK everyone you see (with APFSDS easily doable), or else, they will disable you, because most of the players now, where to shoot Mk10.

Other than Stillbrew, you are as weak as Mk3 and Mk5 and don't get me started on mobility.

Overall, I played 1.0 - 5.7 Germany as well as Britain yesterday to make SLs and spade all my lower tanks.
In the lower matches (1.0 - 4.7), I was almost always first in the table and I won almost every game, no matter what nation I played for, no matter the BR.

Germany has the advantage of explosive ammo, but I never mind British AP shots. 

So yeah, for me British tanks are good, as well as German or American ones. Never did care for USSR, but T-34s are walk in the park..

Edited by Phelpsiee
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Matilda at T3 and the churchill Mk I at 3.3 are useless the gun is like a peashooter firing at a wall .They either need the littlejohn adapter or dropping down of tier 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Brumpoet said:

Matilda at T3 and the churchill Mk I at 3.3 are useless the gun is like a peashooter firing at a wall .or dropping down of tier 

Which happened. The Matilda is now 2.7 and the Churchill 3.0, I actually think this might be too low for the Churchill. I always thought the armour was fine for 3.3 the problem was the gun, something that the 2-pdr APCNR and/or 3-inch HEAT round could have solved. 

On 09/10/2017 at 4:20 AM, Capt_Palmtree said:

My win rate shows that.

I only play British tank RB and at the moment I'm only at 4.7 with the Sherman Firefly (missing APDS) and the Avenger (missing APDS) and facing usually Tiger 1s, IS-1s and IS-2s with T34-85s and Pz4 F2 and Hs as back ups whereas I have the Cromwell 1 as mine and all that can do it go fast round the flanks and find SPAA to be killed by.

My 4.7 lineup is: 

- Sherman Firefly

- Avenger

- Achilles

- Churchill Mk. VII

- Crusader AA Mk. I

- Cromwell Mk. I

Serves me pretty well. I'm actually pretty tempted to buy one of those premium Firefly's and swap out the Cromwell. If I had the golden eagles I'd even add the Crusader AA Mk. II to that line-up, simply for the fact that the Crusader AA Mk. I is terrible at its intended role but is great against ground targets. 

Edited by Jarms
medal

The Achilles is a pretty good TD. Any British tank with the 17-pounder is good in general. But when you get to 5.3-5.7 the 17-pounder becomes pretty weak when uptiered. Also you should skip the Comet all together, unless you intend to purchase it's APDS shell as soon as you unlock the Comet it'll be a real pain in the back side to grind.

medal medal medal medal

British ammo Inability to do damage is due to Solid Shot still basically do laser damage 90% of the time because In-game Logic is that all that 120mm of armor your shell pushed out of the way disappeared into another dimension rather than spray out in a cone pattern as per normal physics.

Also, their artificially nerfed mobility.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

So so, there are tanks that work fine, some that are bad, the FV 4002 at 6.3 is wonderful.

medal medal

Most of British tank stats are ok with their strength being mobility and gun handling. The ones of the dont tend to have some form of stupidly powerful firepower like the Conway or the 4005.

Its their Ammo stats that the problem, with their horrid after penetration damage profile and inconsistent Damage. Additionally, they have to compared against the King of the WT battlefield, APHE with its impossible blast pattern.

The Spray Pattern of the APDSFS shell or the M103 AP shell should have be copy pasted to all the solid shot shell a long time ago(once adjusted for shell caliber). Why does an APDS from the Chieftian MK 3 L11 gun do so little damage when compared to the APDSFS fired out of the MK 10 L11? Why do the addition of tiny fins suddenly allow for the Armor that was penetrated by the shell to spray out when Past WT logic dictates that Similar shell without Tiny Fins would just black hole away the Armor it penetrated? Why do APHE shells set to detonate 80cm after the fuses triggers can detonate 5cm inside the cupola?

Edited by LordMoistBlaster
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

While we're talking about shells I found an amusing document the other day. It pointed out form the L15 APDS onwards British shell technology had advanced enough to allow APDS to ignore 70 degree, and higher, slopes on armour.

I'm not going to hold my breath on it, and I can't be bothered to implement a bug report seeing as it won't get actioned.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal