Northman505

Are British Tanks Good?

As title says, are the British tanks good and worth grinding or should I just leave them for last?

Hmmm, I would have to say that they require a fair amount of skill to use, they tend to have either no armour or very boxy armour(till later tiers, then it's just thin sloped armour XD) and the guns, some are bad but most great, tend to only get solid shot ammo meaning to have to know every crew location on every tank you could face.  

At least give it a try for a while and see how you feel about them.

medal medal medal medal medal

I've been using the British tanks and I am currently at tier 3 which I have no vehicles in which I will soon get the Achilles tank. Hopefully...

I've seen the spalling created by their solid shots and now question the "not enough damage" claims.

It looked like the shell caused rains of spalling 3 times during it's path through my tank.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Tiers 1-2 are all competitive, tier 3 is the worst grind I've ever seen, tier 4-5 are competitive

I would strongly disagree with the middle part of that statement. The T3 British tanks are fantastic (Comet, Firefly, and Achilles are all amazing).

I am a primarily British tanker, and I have all but 3 of the British tanks (only missing the Conqueror, Conway, and Falcon).

Here is my overall opinion about what to expect with British tanks:

-I would argue that British tanks require the most (if not close to the most) skill to use. All their main rounds are solid-shot, really until the T5s that have HESH. Most of the British rounds do not have nearly enough spalling to be considered realistic, but you can still do some good work with the rounds.

-The British tanks utilize high rate of fire cannons to do their damage. I've found the most effective strategy is aim for the gunner first, so the enemy can't shoot back.

-British tanks, aside from the heavy line and a few other exceptions, do not have too much armor, so don't expect to survive many hits you take from Germans or Soviets.

-Until late T4, British tanks have only 1 reverse gear, so you won't be able to back up out of a tight spot in a hurry. But, you do have good forwards speed most of the time, so you can zip around the map pretty quickly (especially the tanks with Cromwell and Comet chassis).

-Overall, British tanks have pretty good gun depression, not as good as most Germans, but pretty close.

-British tanks have some of the highest pen compared to other countries at their tier, especially once you get APDS. Once you unlock APDS rounds on your tanks in T3, you won't have to worry about not penning too many things. Sloped armor will still provide some issues, but only at the 5.3 area, at 6.7, the Centurion and Caernarvon can punch through the Tiger II's upper plate with ease.

-British tanks have the highest repair costs of any of the ground forces nations, especially the Caernarvon and Centurion Mk 3., so be prepared to lose money once you get those (I've had 3 kill games in the Caernarvon where I lost money).

With all of that said, British tanks are my favorites to play. I have a blast playing my 3.3 lineup, my 5.3 lineup, and my 6.7 lineup. Those areas have some of the most competetive British tanks for their tier, and can be very good if you play them right. Don't charge in full boar like you would in a soviet tank. Try to stay in the middle of your team, taking advantage of your quick firing guns and high velocity rounds to knock out enemies from distance.

I highly recommend playing the British tanks.

Edited by Dirk_Decent
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I hate the British obsesion with throwing 2-pounders into every tank.

Even in postwar they still tried to use it in Saladin armored cars. Thank god they changed their mind...

This kinda reflects in the game. I wont have a problem with 2-pounders if they were good, but you quickly notice that they have horrid post penetration effects.
medal

I hate the British obsesion with throwing 2-pounders into every tank.

Even in postwar they still tried to use it in Saladin armored cars. Thank god they changed their mind...

This kinda reflects in the game. I wont have a problem with 2-pounders if they were good, but you quickly notice that they have horrid post penetration effects.

:facepalm:

medal medal

My suggestion is don't touch British tanks unless you are a great tanker, they are unforgiving and rarely ever become good all-round vehicles (exceptions are probably the Centurions and Chieftain). Still a mile better than US tanks at most tiers, but worse than German or Russian tanks at most tiers, for the average player.
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal

In terms of skill of use i would place the nations as

Easiest-Hardest: Russian/German/British and finally USA.

I love my British tanks and am having alot of fun now with the Conway, but you have to play very carefully you just cannot charge into any situation as your armour is very unforgiving and your shot's until the higher Tier Hesh rounds mean you have to aim at different part's of the enemy to take them apart piecemeal.

Now this can lead to frustration at times but i have found by using my Brit tanks it has made me a better player especially if you then feel like a nation hop as you suddenly find the russian/german tanks seem alot easier.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

I love my British tanks and am having alot of fun now with the Conway, but you have to play very carefully you just cannot charge into any situation as your armour is very unforgiving and your shot's until the higher Tier Hesh rounds mean you have to aim at different part's of the enemy to take them apart piecemeal.

Now this can lead to frustration at times but i have found by using my Brit tanks it has made me a better player especially if you then feel like a nation hop as you suddenly find the russian/german tanks seem alot easier.

I would disagree as Russia being the easiest because of that darn gun depression and the 122mm gun's reload which make the Russians pretty difficult but early tier can be really good though.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I would strongly disagree with the middle part of that statement. The T3 British tanks are fantastic (Comet, Firefly, and Achilles are all amazing).

I am a primarily British tanker, and I have all but 3 of the British tanks (only missing the Conqueror, Conway, and Falcon).

-I would argue that British tanks require the most (if not close to the most) skill to use. All their main rounds are solid-shot, really until the T5s that have HESH. Most of the British rounds do not have nearly enough spalling to be considered realistic, but you can still do some good work with the rounds.

-The British tanks utilize high rate of fire cannons to do their damage. I've found the most effective strategy is aim for the gunner first, so the enemy can't shoot back.

-British tanks, aside from the heavy line and a few other exceptions, do not have too much armor, so don't expect to survive many hits you take from Germans or Soviets.

-Until late T4, British tanks have only 1 reverse gear, so you won't be able to back up out of a tight spot in a hurry. But, you do have good forwards speed most of the time, so you can zip around the map pretty quickly (especially the tanks with Cromwell and Comet chassis).

-Overall, British tanks have pretty good gun depression, not as good as most Germans, but pretty close.

-British tanks have some of the highest pen compared to other countries at their tier, especially once you get APDS. Once you unlock APDS rounds on your tanks in T3, you won't have to worry about not penning too many things. Sloped armor will still provide some issues, but only at the 5.3 area, at 6.7, the Centurion and Caernarvon can punch through the Tiger II's upper plate with ease.

-British tanks have the highest repair costs of any of the ground forces nations, especially the Caernarvon and Centurion Mk 3., so be prepared to lose money once you get those (I've had 3 kill games in the Caernarvon where I lost money).

With all of that said, British tanks are my favorites to play. I have a blast playing my 3.3 lineup, my 5.3 lineup, and my 6.7 lineup. Those areas have some of the most competetive British tanks for their tier, and can be very good if you play them right. Don't charge in full boar like you would in a soviet tank. Try to stay in the middle of your team, taking advantage of your quick firing guns and high velocity rounds to knock out enemies from distance.

Well said.

• Upvote 2

I'd say that they are somewhat competitive at Tier 1 to 3 (thanks to solid APCBC shells doing some good damage), after that, it's basically noncompetitive until late T5 (Chieftain/Centurion Mk 10 due to fast reload speed), as main reason of noncompetitive is that they nerfed spalling damage beyond the recognition as their solid APs and APDS are near worthless, as it requires you to place shots on certain critical modules to order to cripple them. Until they fix spalling damage, then T4/T5 will become more competitive afterwards. 

Edited by Helezhelm
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

I agree with everything this guy said. The really slow reverse is a huge drawback. Im was so used to reversing after shooting around corners that it took me a bit to get used to going forward instead. 

I'd say that they are somewhat competitive at Tier 1 to 3 (thanks to solid APCBC shells doing some good damage), after that, it's basically noncompetitive until late T5 (Chieftain/Centurion Mk 10 due to fast reload speed), as main reason of noncompetitive is that they nerfed spalling damage beyond the recognition as their solid APs and APDS are near worthless, as it requires you to place shots on certain critical modules to order to cripple them. Until they fix spalling damage, then T4/T5 will become more competitive afterwards. 

Have to agree with this... seems like every match i can get 15-20+ hits, but only 2 ~ 3 kills (butt load of assists yeah)... But german and soviet tanks will easily one-shot me, but not uncommon to have to put 5-6 shots into the enemy tank.

Other thing that really bugs me is the high price of repair for the carnaervon. Easily one of the best Brit tanks, but so damn expensive & with the lame side armor very vulnerable... dont even want to take it out any as it costs so much to repair. Used to hate that tank when i was playing Germans - always killing my Tiger 2's.

• Upvote 2
medal

Have to agree with this... seems like every match i can get 15-20+ hits, but only 2 ~ 3 kills (butt load of assists yeah)... But german and soviet tanks will easily one-shot me, but not uncommon to have to put 5-6 shots into the enemy tank.

Other thing that really bugs me is the high price of repair for the carnaervon. Easily one of the best Brit tanks, but so damn expensive & with the lame side armor very vulnerable... dont even want to take it out any as it costs so much to repair. Used to hate that tank when i was playing Germans - always killing my Tiger 2's.

not really a fan of the Carn mostly due to the repair cost but to be honest I am quite fond of the MK.3 Cent she is a beast of a tank plus the Chieftain is at the end of its line and well I have a thing for Chieftains :)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I don't know about the US being the hardest? They at least have some HE filler shells like the M82, which is way better than solid shot.

But definitely agree the Russian tanks are the easiest, especially the T34 1941/1942 with their nuclear MD8 ammo!!!! That MD8 shell can nearly guarantee1 shot kills. When I play British or US tanks, I struggle to stay above 12th or lower in a winning game, or can be in the top 5 in a losing game. But nearly every game in the T34 1942/1941, I can place in the top 5. And I did not change how I played. So needless to say, when I start losing SL using my beloved British tanks, I have to go back to those T34's to get my funds back up. The problem though, is that I love the British tanks, and loathe the Russian tanks. Worse yet, when getting the resource bonuses, it don't help with grinding the British tech tree with those bonuses, if I have to play the Russian tanks to win, and get SL back up.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

i love playing with the British tree, but i hate the FV-4004 Conway. 

for some kind of strange reason my shots in the green hardly get registered, especialy the HESH, the reload is a pain and it gets destroyed by nearly anything else by just looking at me.

i only play the Russian tree when i need SL's since the repair cost of those Ace tanks are 1/3 of the British tiers i have.

Wikipedia fact on Russian tanks, in WWII they lost 76% of the delivered tanks, tho in Warthunder they are Godlike lol 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_losses_in_World_War_II

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal

for some kind of strange reason my shots in the green hardly get registered, especialy the HESH, the reload is a pain and it gets destroyed by nearly anything else by just looking at me.

i only play the Russian tree when i need SL's since the repair cost of those Ace tanks are 1/3 of the British tiers i have.

Wikipedia fact on Russian tanks, in WWII they lost 76% of the delivered tanks, tho in Warthunder they are Godlike lol

The Conway is only good in RB where it can actually rely on stealth as opposed to its weak armor
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

British Tanks

3 attribues: Speed, armor, gun

Britian only seemed to take one good attribute at a time and make it good, sacrificing the others.

If its fast: no armor, poor gun.

If its well armored: Slow, with poor gun.

If it has a great gun: slow with bad armor.

• Upvote 1
medal

British Tanks
3 attribues: Speed, armor, gun
Britian only seemed to take one good attribute at a time and make it good, sacrificing the others.
If its fast: no armor, poor gun.
If its well armored: Slow, with poor gun.
If it has a great gun: slow with bad armor.

I disagree with that, the cromwells, comet, challenger, and charioteer all have good guns and speed,
The Churchill Mk lll has a good gun and armor for its tier, as does the tortoise
medal medal medal medal

I disagree with that, the cromwells, comet, challenger, and charioteer all have good guns and speed,
The Churchill Mk lll has a good gun and armor for its tier, as does the tortoise

They would be a lot better if the post-penetration effect did more than scratching one or two crew members and maybe denting a module.

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2016 at 8:58 PM, Stahlvormund101 said:

I've seen the spalling created by their solid shots and now question the "not enough damage" claims.

It looked like the shell caused rains of spalling 3 times during it's path through my tank.

The thicker the armor, the less fragments go through, and a single track / suspension stops them dead, the fragments also do very little damage, and frankly I find them unreliable. But they can be very good, especially if they shoot you in the middle of the frontal armor, you'll more than likely kill everyone.

On 06/06/2016 at 5:32 AM, Dirk_Decent said:

Couldnt go past this without correcting it.  Brit tanks have over all the best gun depression in the game.  Even beating germany which has an average of -8 while brits average -10. the matilda is also the best in the game for gun depression with a wopping -20 degree's.  there are only a few (maybe 5??) tanks in the tree that have sub par gun dression.

other then that i agree with what you have said.  brits generally require you to take advantage of certain key assets, best gun depression in game, fastest reloads, and highest penetrations.  this means if you can be aware of your maps, use cover when available and know your enemy crew and module positions you can clean up in these tanks.

Here is an example of exactly what im talking about.

6.7 brit win.wrpl

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 20/06/2016 at 6:22 PM, Tawnyn said:

OMG !! The link ! i've read it, this is unbelievable ! they lost tanks by thousands, and for some types, nearly 90% of loss ! 

They won the waar because they produce an incredible amount of tanks and they got even more crew tanks

These kind of numbers can figure how huge the slaughter was for the russian and how good was the kill ration of the germans ! great info ! Thanks !

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal