OberstStjupric

Best Ammunition Belt Choices as of Newest Patch 1.57.4.101

Hi All!!

It has been a while since I have played WT like I used to, so I am getting back into playing and am naturally back in Arcade battles! It has just been so difficult for me to find the time to really spend a good amount of time getting back into the game up until now that I'm on vacation, I'm having a good bit of trouble getting used to things again! The things that are causing me the most trouble right now have to do with bringing down enemy aircraft. I have watched and re-watched the fabulous tutorials put out by players like long5hot and by the War Thunder YouTube Channel; however, I'm still having a good amount of trouble!

Therefore, if I may ask for some advice concerning ammunition belts (types of shells) first:

What are the best belts (with the best ammunition) to be used for the individual nations? As you can see below, I've broken it down into the simplest forms: Light MGs, Heavy MGs (if applicable), and cannon (just in general). I realize that there are obviously different types of belts for different types of MGs (light and heavy) and different types of cannon especially; however, since I'm asking for help I don't want anyone to have to spend much time in answering!.

• Great Britain
    • MGs:
    • Cannon:
  • Germany
    • Light MGs:
    • Heavy MGs:
    • Cannon:
  • Soviet Union
    • Light MGs:
    • Heavy MGs:
    • Cannon:
  • United States
    • Light MGs:
    • Heavy MGs:
    • Cannon:
  • Japan
    • Light MGs:
    • Heavy MGs:
    • Cannon:

Also, what would you guys suggest for the best convergence distance (vertical off)? For all nose mounted weapons, I generally leave my convergence out to 800m, but for wing-mounted armament I generally set it to about 500m. Do you think I should set it a bit closer and attempt to engage from closer range especially given the fact that I am in the process of grinding out the Japanese tree and they have horribly weak armament on their early aircraft? Thanks so very much for all of your help, friends!!! Have a great day, and happy hunting!! Hope to see you in the air!!

Sincerely and Most Respectfully,

Kris

medal

Always use stealth for German Mgs, 15mm and 20mm cannons. Use any belt with some tracer in it for the Mk108 until you get used to it's ballistics. Then switch to stealth. German planes aren't very agile, and not using tracers generally allow you to closer to your enemy, allowing you to do more damage.

Use stealth for practically everything else in AB. aim assist helps a lot. British 7.7mm are the only once for which you should consider something else, but only if you haven't got cannons.

Edited by Saint_StuG
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

General advice.

1. Machine guns - take belts that are mostly API.

• therefore, Soviet 12.7 mm should have Air targets belt (hidden or ground might be an option)
  • German 7.92 - omni
  • US 12.7 mm - stealth/omni; ground for Thunderbolts (they have different belts)
  • but for British 7.7 Tracers work best

2. Cannons - pick belts that have High Explosive and Fragmentation rounds.

• 20mm Hispano - Air targets (HEF only)
  • 20mm Shvak - Ground / Stealth (practically the same, but Stealth doesn't have tracer)
  • 20mm MG FF - Air targets
  • 20mm MG FF/M - use minengeshos rounds (Air/Stealth).

As for convergence, I use 400 meters. For nose-mounted weapons it shouldn't work, so don't bother switching it to 800 every time.

Edited by jamm3e
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal

I use Stealth / Air Targets without tracers for everything that flies; I hardly do GTs. For me, the possibility of a surprise attack is very important.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

For Japanese fighters I use stealth for everything EXCEPT the naval 20mm cannons (as found on the A6M, A7M, J2M and N1K series), for which I use tracer (the tracer belt is all HE).

Like Jamme said, for MGs, you want incendiary rounds, preferably armor piercing.  For cannon, you want high explosive (unless you're popping tanks, in which case AP is better).

In the US tree, the P-26, P-36, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-63, F3F, F4F, F4U, F6F and F7F all use the "early war" 50-cal belts, for which I recommend stealth (or omni if you're a tracer guy).

The P-47, P-51, F-82, all the air force jets and the F8F-1 get the "late war" belts, for which I recommend tracers (all API-T) or stealth (alternates API / I).

Anything in the US tree with 20mm cannons use stealth.  Any US turret-equipped aircraft should have omni belts on the turrets - API / API-T mix = burning enemy.

For everything German, Russian or British I use stealth, except the Brit 20mm air target ammo, which is basically super stealth (no tracers, better HE content than regular stealth belt... honestly I don't know why they bother having stealth an option still)

• Upvote 1
medal

For Japanese fighters I use stealth for everything EXCEPT the naval 20mm cannons (as found on the A6M, A7M, J2M and N1K series), for which I use tracer (the tracer belt is all HE).

Like Jamme said, for MGs, you want incendiary rounds, preferably armor piercing. For cannon, you want high explosive (unless you're popping tanks, in which case AP is better).

In the US tree, the P-26, P-36, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-63, F3F, F4F, F4U, F6F and F7F all use the "early war" 50-cal belts, for which I recommend stealth (or omni if you're a tracer guy).
The P-47, P-51, F-82, all the air force jets and the F8F-1 get the "late war" belts, for which I recommend tracers (all API-T) or stealth (alternates API / I).
Anything in the US tree with 20mm cannons use stealth. Any US turret-equipped aircraft should have omni belts on the turrets - API / API-T mix = burning enemy.

For everything German, Russian or British I use stealth, except the Brit 20mm air target ammo, which is basically super stealth (no tracers, better HE content than regular stealth belt... honestly I don't know why they bother having stealth an option still)

Like Jamme said, for MGs, you want incendiary rounds, preferably armor piercing. For cannon, you want high explosive (unless you're popping tanks, in which case AP is better).

Anything in the US tree with 20mm cannons use stealth. Any US turret-equipped aircraft should have omni belts on the turrets - API / API-T mix = burning enemy.

You'll need the Brit stealth ammo for tier 5 jets.
It has an AP round. Better chance of chopping a wing off
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Slicing through wings is kind of hard with 20mm AP because they usually just leave some holes in them, and the enemy, although wounded, is still flying. Better to try that with high RPM 50cal MG's.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

You'll need the Brit stealth ammo for tier 5 jets.
It has an AP round. Better chance of chopping a wing off

actually for some reason in game shells with HE better chop of wings (that's why British 7.7 IT are that deadly and 12.7mm I are more efficient than API-T in doing that)

• Upvote 1
medal medal

So far the only ammo I've found to be a little more effective than stealths is Air Targets just on Bf 109 E-3 and E-4 20 mm cannons.

For any other plane and gun I go with stealths, which often grant you at least one more burst before the enemy become aware of the danger and that is usually more important than some possible difference in penetration on incendiary power (BTW, usually stealths are amongst the best ammo in penetration anyway).

• Upvote 1

For Italian/Japanese 12.7mm MGs I would use stealth. The APIT rounds are almost useless, its much better to get the IAI in there, which is supposed to be high explosives. Those MG rely on chemical energy rather than kinetic, which is what the M2 relies on.
I hope this can help you when you do fly aircraft armed with those MG :) Edited by blakeob
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Thank you all for the advice! I can't tell ya how much I appreciate it! I finally had time to play a few games just now, and while I managed to not get shot down in my Ki-27 and later Ki-43-I as well as my A5M4s... I wasn't getting many kills - just assists.... However, I decided to heck with the major altitude advantage and while I started shooting down enemy aircraft by dogfighting, I would get clipped and lost an average of one plane per match which I don't like doing... I much prefer playing with BnZ aircraft I guess... But that's just me. I think I can get used to playing with these light, agile, kick-butt Japanese aircraft especially after I get one with those 20mm cannon! :D

medal