AMX13 105

73696755275AMX13Mle58.jpg

The AMX-13 is an early Cold War era light tank of French origin. It was developed in the late 1940's to equip the post-World War 2 French forces. The AMX-13 proved to be a highly mobile and effective light tank in combat. By the end of the Cold War the AMX-13 became obsolete due to age and the advent of highly capable anti-tank guided missiles that fill the role of highly mobile tank destroyers.

The AMX-13 uses a unique oscilating turret design. The cannon is mounted on a fixed cradle and the entire top half of the turret is hinged to proved elevation. Over time the AMX-13 design was upgraded with various turret types and other types of equipment.

The steel armor provides protection against small arms fire and shrapnell all around. Over the frontal arc heavy machine gun fire is resisted. Smoke grenade launchers are fitted as standard. An NBC system is optional, but not present on most AMX-13 models.

The tracked chassis, limited weight and high power to weight ratio result in a good all terrain mobility. A 250 hp petrol engine provides propulsion, allowing for a maximum speed of 60 km/h. The AMX-13 is not amphibious.

This tread talk about specific amx version :

AMX 13/ 105 modele 58 fitted with a 105mm Gun in an FL-12 turret

271862AMX13FL12model58.jpg

Type Light tank Crew 3 (commander, driver, gunner) Length 4.88 m (hull), 6.70 m (gun forward) Width 2.51 m Height 2.80 m (overall) Ground clearance 0.4 m Weight 14.8 t Ground pressure 0.76 kg/cm2 Wheelbase Tracked chassis, 5 roadwheels, drive sprocket front, idler rear, 3.00 m length, 0.35 width, 2.16 m track Turn radius skid turns Engine Sofam Model 8Gxb 8-cylinder water-cooled petrol, 250 hp at 3.200 rpm

Power ratio 16.9 hp/t Transmission Manual, 5 forward, 1 reverse Speed 60 km/h on road, 15 km/h off road Fuel 480 L Range 350 km on road Wall 0.65 m Trench 1.9 m Gradient 60 % gradient Fording 0.6 m Armor Steel
Hull: 15 mm @ 55 degree front, 20 mm side, 10 mm top, 15 mm rear
Turret: 25 mm @ 45 degree front, 25 mm sides, 10 mm top NBC equipment No

Night vision No Smoke 2x3 smoke grenade dischargers Remarks - Armament 105mm L/44 cannon
7.62mm MAG coaxial machine gun
7.62mm MAG roof machine gun Weapon1 105mm L/44 cannon
32 rounds, 12 ready to fire
-5 to + 12° elevation
360 degrees traverse
non-stabilized Weapon2 7.62mm MAG coaxial machine gun
traverse and elevation as main armament
4.000 rounds in total
non-stabilized Weapon3 7.62mm MAG roof machine gun
4.000 rounds in total
manual traverse and elevation
non-stabilized

I make this post because, my father was working in the industries who build the FL12 turret, in north of france. So i have officials documents about the FL12 turret. This AMX version was develloped in 60-70's and can complete the french tech tree.

FL12 TURRET

774471IMG0295.jpg

789544IMG0296.jpg

583778IMG0266.jpg

I Have another documents for this turret, and this turret can be use for another tank :

DF 105 Combat Tank

Sk-105 Kürassier

Source : 

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/France/AMX-13.php

http://weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/cc02%20-%20AMX-13.html

This AMX 13/105 Turret FL12 can be a good premium light tank for french tech tree.

Discussion open :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 27
medal medal

Open for discussion. :Salute:

• Thanks 1

It's not from late coldwar btw. The AMX-13 105 modèle 58 was made as early as late 50s for Netherlands, with the FL-12 Turret.

Regarding the tank itself, it is currently the last tank of the Light Tank Line of the French Tech Tree Project. [spoiler]Completed+Tech+Tree.png[/spoiler]

(Credit to Umbriellan and Currus_loricatus for this awesome tech tree) 

The tiers V might change a bit with the addition of ATGM vehicles (France was damn good as those in the 50 and 60s), but I think it will keep it's place.

Regaring the guns stats, here is what I found:

1455976500-occ-105-f1-differences.png

(AMX-13 105 use the L/44 gun, armor penetration is 370mm of RHA at every range/0°)

Edited by Lord_Waka
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal

Thanks Lord_Waka for your support  :good:  

(Tout comme toi, je pense que Umbriellan and Currus_loricatus tech tree est viable   :Ds )

The guns stats :

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=448304IMG0302.jpg]448304IMG0302.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=961470IMG0247.jpg]961470IMG0247.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=712031IMG0248.jpg]712031IMG0248.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=984414IMG0249.jpg]984414IMG0249.jpg[/URL]

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 4
medal medal

I was proposing a premium because it's mainly an export tank.

But you're right !! he has a place in normal tech tree

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

no amx french crap, no fast reloaders like world of tanks. War thunder is warthunder and no world of tanks!

Even with French autoloaders, War Thunder will still be much different from WoT from a gameplay perspective.

medal medal medal medal

Why people are afraid of amx and is autoloader ?

Ok amx have rapid fire but look close:

amx tank series have paper armor ! so any tank, even planes with just above 20 mm canon and artilery barrage can kill him easy and quick !!

War thunder is not world of tank whith a pool of HP, you can't run every where in map like fast and furious and fire in mouvement.

• Confused 1
medal medal

Even with French autoloaders, War Thunder will still be much different from WoT from a gameplay perspective.

Auto-loaders don't give you pretty much any advantage if you're one-shoting enemy vehicles and if you're killing the gunner it doesn't matter if your reload takes 3 or 8 seconds if you can finish the vehicle with your next round.

Edited by Daddo2
grammar correction
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

no amx french crap, no fast reloaders like world of tanks. War thunder is warthunder and no world of tanks!

WoT autloader are utterly unhistorical. 

Generally, WoT is the worst source ever for french armor (And for any country's armor). Please stop saying those are **** in every thread about AMX-13 you see (Because I have seen you around in others ones, such as the one about the Kürassier)

In real life, A AMX-13's autoloader have a quite important time between the shells, five seconds on the 13-75. But this is not the worse part.

After firing all it's two clips of six rounds, a AMX-13 must stop for 40 seconds in order to reload them, and the crew need to get outside of the tank to achieve the reload. This was mainly a consequence of the obstination to build a vehicle as small and light as possible (The AMX-13 was originally meant as an airborne tank. The autoloader wasn't used because it loads faster than a crew member, but because it takes less space)

Also, the AMX weren't crap, and the fact they are french haven't got an influence on their quality. AMX-13 was easily the best light tank of the early cold war, and even managed to remain great in the middle one (With SS.11 missiles on AMX-13-75, AMX-13-90...)

Edited by Lord_Waka
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Nice idea! +1

WoT autloader are utterly unhistorical. 

Generally, WoT is the worst source ever for french armor (And for any country's armor). Please stop saying those are **** in every thread about AMX-13 you see (Because I have seen you around in others ones, such as the one about the Kürassier)

In real life, A AMX-13's autoloader have a quite important time between the shells, five seconds on the 13-75. But this is not the worse part.

After firing all it's two clips of six rounds, a AMX-13 must stop for 40 seconds in order to reload them, and the crew need to get outside of the tank to achieve the reload. This was mainly a consequence of the obstination to build a vehicle as small and light as possible (The AMX-13 was originally meant as an airborne tank. The autoloader wasn't used because it loads faster than a crew member, but because it takes less space)

Also, the AMX weren't crap, and the fact they are french haven't got an influence on their quality. AMX-13 was easily the best light tank of the early cold war, and even managed to remain great in the middle one (With SS.11 missiles on AMX-13-75, AMX-13-90...)

The AMX 13 (although usually modernized) are still in active service today in some countries.

360 mm of HEAT penetration with 105 mm gun is more than enough to destroy any Soviet rank up to T-64, which has an early composite armour, so it won't get into the WT (despite entering the active service earlier than Leopard 1 and Chieftain).

The AMX 13 that was fitted with SS.11 ATGM had 75 mm cannon. The SS.11, however had 600 mm of penetration, but there were only 4 of them mounted on the tank, with no additional carried to reload the launchers. Some pictures below:

[spoiler]

Amx13_ss11_010.jpg

FrAtMissiles3.jpg

[/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

The AMX 13 (although usually modernized) are still in active service today in some countries.

360 mm of HEAT penetration with 105 mm gun is more than enough to destroy any Soviet rank up to T-64, which has an early composite armour, so it won't get into the WT (despite entering the active service earlier than Leopard 1 and Chieftain).

The AMX 13 that was fitted with SS.11 ATGM had 75 mm cannon. The SS.11, however had 600 mm of penetration, but there were only 4 of them mounted on the tank, with no additional carried to reload the launchers. Some pictures below:

[spoiler]

Amx13_ss11_010.jpg

FrAtMissiles3.jpg

[/spoiler]

T64A had composite armor on both Hull and turret and is a tank that no tanks could actually destroy in game frontally unless aiming for the LFP or at relatively close range for the Cheiftain and Conqueror gun which reliad purely on KE to kill and not chemical energy.

AMX 13-90 would perfectly fit into the game as a 7.0 light tank.

and big +1 BTW

Edited by Tantor57
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Now warthunder have add missile

So we can add amx 13 Nord SS.11 easily in french tech tree.

it can be easy to add the amx line ! they share the same chassis !! only the turret change  

• Confused 1
medal medal

[spoiler]

Amx13_ss11_010.jpg

FrAtMissiles3.jpg

[/spoiler]

I'm a french army nerd, you know, I know that :v

More seriously, Yes, the AMX-13 modèle 58 would be a damn nice 8.0 tank (As it is currenctly on the french tech tree project). 

SS.11 ATGMs were put on AMX-13-75, yes, but apparently also on some AMX-13-90 during the 70s.

There were also trials with the HOT missiles at the same era:

AMX-13-75-HOT-1.jpg

The first prototype, with quadruple launcher

AMX-13-75-HOT-2.jpg

The second prototype, with triple launchers, but better guidage systems. 

• Confused 1
medal medal

I'm a french army nerd, you know, I know that :v

More seriously, Yes, the AMX-13 modèle 58 would be a damn nice 8.0 tank (As it is currenctly on the french tech tree project). 

SS.11 ATGMs were put on AMX-13-75, yes, but apparently also on some AMX-13-90 during the 70s.

AMX-13-75-HOT-1.jpg

The first prototype, with quadruple launcher

AMX-13-75-HOT-2.jpg

The second prototype, with triple launchers, but better guidage systems. 

So many missiles, so little time.

medal medal medal medal

I'm a French army nerd, you know, I know that :v

Good for you ;)s , I love French post-WW2 tanks, especially the AMX 13 series, Bat. - Chat. 25t and ELC AMX series. Those armoured cars with oscillating turrets also look amazing. I hope we'll get the French tech tree soon.

More seriously, Yes, the AMX-13 modèle 58 would be a damn nice 8.0 tank (As it is currently on the French tech tree project). 

Absolutely no doubt about it. The only problem seems to be relatively weak power to weight ratio.

Good to know, was it only prototype or were they made in some interesting numbers?

I've read a little about that ;)s  Looks cool though. Do you know how much penetration did HOT 1 missiles have?

Good for you ;)s , I love French post-WW2 tanks, especially the AMX 13 series, Bat. - Chat. 25t and ELC AMX series. Those armoured cars with oscillating turrets also look amazing. I hope we'll get the French tech tree soon.

Absolutely no doubt about it. The only problem seems to be relatively weak power to weight ratio.

Good to know, was it only prototype or were they made in some interesting numbers?

I've read a little about that ;)s  Looks cool though. Do you know how much penetration did HOT 1 missiles have?

I don't know how many AMX-13-90 were fitted with SS.11. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in great number, it's a quite easy modification.

HOT 1 have, theorically, 800mm of armor penetration (On RHA) at all ranges.

• Confused 1
medal medal

I don't know how many AMX-13-90 were fitted with SS.11. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in great number, it's a quite easy modification.

Indeed it is, you just need to add those missile launchers with a little bit modified attachment and a navigation equipment, which should be pretty much same as on the 75 mm version.

So in that regard they are equal to the British Swingfires... I've expected similar value.

Always yes for the French tanks and the French tree!!!

medal medal medal medal

Looks like we're getting SS.11 ATGMs in the game next patch... in a British tech tree.

Looks like we're getting SS.11 ATGMs in the game next patch... in a British tech tree.

. . . on a Swedish vehicle

medal medal medal medal