Does anyone know if head tracking works with Linux in War Thunder?

I've read of people getting LinuxTrack to work for OSX and also OpenTrack for Windows, but what about Linux? I've installed LinuxTrack and it's working by itself, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to run on WT. I've searched the web and there is very little information about it, so any tips, links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Update:

For the moment I'm working on LinuxTrack and will be trying the mouse emulation to see how that translates in-game. I'll keep this thread updated with what I discover. If the results are acceptable I'll make an installation guide.

Update 2:

Since LinuxTrack mouse emulation would not apply to moving your head forward/backwards or side-to-side I decided I'd drop this. I haven't found any linux installation documentation wiht OpenTrack. If a guide becomes available I'd love to try it out.

Edited by Hashwagon

Any news on the mouse emulation, Hashwagon? I've installed LinuxTrack on my Mac and it works with X-Plane (with a plugin). Still investigating how to set it up for War Thunder. Help would be appreciated. Cheers!

medal medal medal medal medal medal

Opentrack generally supports linux and is alive and in development. You have to be familiar with linux to set everything up correctly, this includes installing the dependicies and building opentrack from source. If you have this done, at least the libevdev protocol will work with WT linux, since it offers 6 ordinary joystick/gamepad axes, which can be assigned to your view controls.
medal

@MJNA,

i really don't know OSX, but googling for OSX and uinput (the name of the linux user event device) gives no results.

So i guess this is not a solution for mac users, but this is pure speculation, sorry.

On the other hand, opentrack generally supports OSX too, so the open question is:

Is there (perhaps) an other protocol offered by opentrack AND supported bei WT mac ?

Probably an WT developer can answer this question?

medal

Any news on the mouse emulation, Hashwagon? I've installed LinuxTrack on my Mac and it works with X-Plane (with a plugin). Still investigating how to set it up for War Thunder. Help would be appreciated. Cheers!

I never ended up finishing the mouse emulation due to what I just updated on my post. If a guide becomes available on installing OpenTrack I'd gladly try it out.

@Hashwagon,

i searched for such a guide a few days ago too, but without any success. Actually not surprising since there are many, many different linuxes ...

I will describe, what i have done on my debian system, things may be different for other systems of course.

Basically you need gcc, the essential build tools and cmake installed. Git for easy source code downloading.
Important dependicies are Qt5 and OpenCV (i would recommend to build latest OpenCV from source too).

Download opentrack sourcecode from git using:

'git clone https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack'.

This will generate a directory 'opentrack' inside your current directory with all the source code.

'cd opentrack'
'ccmake .'

Check in ccmake window if all cmake directorys are found correctly. If not you have to install the missed packages.
SDK_ENABLE_LIBEVDEV is 'off' by default, switch it to 'on'.

CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is '/usr/local' per default, i changed it to '/usr/local/opentrack'.

Press 'c' to configure and 'g' to generate.

'cmake .'

'make -j5'

If it builds without error, you can:

'sudo make install'

to install opentrack in /usr/local/opentrack (If not check for missed packages).

Run with '/usr/local/opentrack/opentrack.bin'.

To use libevdev, you have most likely to 'modprobe uinput' and to give your user access to /dev/uinput (via udev rules).

good luck ;)

medal

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...