Sign in to follow this  
Choogleblitz

KV-1 Identification: Distinctive variants, traits, and features

KV-1 Identification: Distinctive variants, traits, and features

After a recent private message, I decided this might be useful. This thread will teach you how to identify the model of KV-1 you're looking at, and decipher whether or not it is a production or a field modified tank. 

Models:

Model 1939:

This is the first production variant of the KV-1. It is easily identified with a few different unique traits. Firstly, early production vehicles had a pistol port instead of a hull machine gun. This was later improved with the introduction of a 7.62 mm DT hull machine gun. This variant was armed with the 76.2 mm L-11. You can identify this cannon with the distinctive pig snout mantlet. This model also had an exposed turret ring, resulting in a large rear turret overhang and a taller profile.

4cFlHc9.png

Model 1940:

This is the second (third if you want to count the MG change of the Mod. 1939) production variant of the KV-1. This variant was armed with the 76.2 mm F-32 cannon. You can identify this model and its cannon with the gun mantlet. It differed from the L-11 by being flatter and more angular. The turret ring remained exposed. The later production version of the Mod. 1940 had appliqué armour after the "cannon scare" the Soviets experienced against the Germans. The frontal hull had 25 mm thick plates applied, the turret ring was protected via 30 or 50 mm thick plates. 

iStP0Zq.png

On top of this, the German invasion resulted in a lack of engines for the model 1940 production run. The Soviets solved this issue with the addition of the M-17 engine, but due increased fuel consumption, external fuel tanks were required.

A8tn2Gi.png

Model 1941:
This is one of the models with the most amount of variants. The early production variant varied slightly from the original model KV-1's. It was still armed with the 76.2 mm F-32, but the noticeable difference was that the turret ring was now incorporated into the armour resulting a lower profile. The rear turret overhang was reduced and the rear sights were also moved back to eliminate a blind spot.

DOZNxcn.png

IxIivQT.png

The next variant was the KV-1 with bolt-on armour from the cannon scare, this variant is officially known as the KV-1E. This variant featured 30 mm bolt-on armour. 

z92yIxZ.jpg

After the KV-1E came the Model 1941 late (welded turret). This variant differed from early with the addition of the 76.2 mm ZiS-5 cannon. You can identify it with the longer barrel and the more unique mantlet with the service port.

p0LRCbm.jpg

Lastly, the model 1941 received a simplified cast turret for ease of production. This variant is identified with the obviously rounded turret. The rear machine gun was unprotected.

yuezfwF.jpg

Model 1942:

This is one of the final KV-1 models. This model differs with an increase turret ring protection, a protected rear machine gun, and an angular rear hull.

CSUt96y.png
Vq5P6dZ.png
*hull only, turret is model 1941*

KV-1S and KV-85 will be posted in a different post due to picture limit. I'll update this with a link to the post at a later point.

Sauce: 

• KV-1 Soviet Heavy Tank of WWII - Early Variants, Jochen Vollert, Tankograd Publishing - Verlag Jochen Vollert (Tankograd - Soviet Special No. 2002)
  • KV-1 Soviet Heavy Tank of WWII - Late Variants, Jochen Vollert, Tankograd Publishing - Verlag Jochen Vollert (Tankograd - Soviet Special No. 2003) 
  • Барятинский М., Коломиец М. Тяжелый танк КВ. // Журнал «Моделист-конструктор». — 2005. — № 9.
  • Коломиец М. Ленинградские КВ-1. Конструирование и производство. Тактикал Пресс-2012. Копия чертежа 1940 года.
  • Upvote 15
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

So we don't have the KV-1 1942? but the germans have that but a captured one with a 75mm longbarrel?

medal

Wow.  I was just reviewing some of my information on the KV-1 I have listed in an MS Access database for my hobby, wargaming in 1/72 scale with figures and model vehicles.  I discovered that this is the article I used a couple of years ago (June 2017) to help me definitively distinguish between the different types (except for the M1939, that was always easy! :smile: ) of KV-1.  This link is referenced in each of the KV listings I have.

So I want to make sure I thank Choogleblitz for this.

I've been playing WT since Xmas and am enjoying it for what it is.  I realize some game related fudges have to be made for balance in War Thunder, but I really wish a few bits of Gaijin's research and interpretation of tank warfare were as excellently researched as this article.  I do love WT for what it is, though. :smile:

Thanks again, Choogle, all the best.

Edited by *Tango_2_3

On 05/05/2019 at 06:44, DestroyDaDa said:

how about add KV-2 identification to this

There's really only two, AFAIK.  The pre-production with a sloped turret front and the main production model with a vertical turret front.  A number of book sources I have put the pre-production numbers at 4 only.  I think, but am not sure (because my books are packed away for a renovation) that Zaloga mentions the 4 number.  But there are so many pictures of the sloped turret front, that I think there must be more and I've read other sources that indicate up to 30-something were made.

Hope that helps.

I have question there was a rumor of a KV up gunned with a 57mm is there eny evidence of this or is it just a rumor 

medal

1 hour ago, lucas1013 said:

I have question there was a rumor of a KV up gunned with a 57mm is there eny evidence of this or is it just a rumor 

There was a plan to test the T-150 (basically an upgraded KV-1) with a new 57mm gun in the winter of 1941, but it ended up getting cancelled due to a lack of money before it got built. From this blog post:

Despite a whole series of problems with the T-150, the overall direction of the work was considered correct. As the planned changes were deemed minor, the tank was given a green light. Council of Commissars decree #548-232ss issued on March 1941 ordered the Kirov factory to begin production of the KV-3. This is the index under which the T-150 would enter service. The improved version of the tank, documentation for which started development on March 16th, was indexed Object 222. This vehicle was similar to the T-150, but had an improved commander's cupola and a 76 mm F-34 gun.

The F-34 was not a final choice. GAU and GABTU were still eyeing the F-27 with its higher penetration. It was proposed that the new gun, indexed ZiS-5 in the winter of 1941, would be tested in the T-221 when it was finished. Additionally, the Kirov factory was working on its own high power tank gun.

This gun, indexed 413, was an F-32 converted to use a 57 mm barrel. Judging by the 4160 mm long barrel, Kirov factory created a tank version of the ZiS-2 gun, which was being developed by factory #92 at the time. Maximum unification with the F-32 allowed for rapid production of the gun which, most importantly, preserved the existing mount. At 1000 meters, the 413 would penetrate 84 mm of armour. In comparison, the 76 mm AA gun penetrated 70 mm of armour at 30 degrees at that range.

GAU gave an unclear answer to the 413 project on March 3rd, 1941. On one hand, the project was interesting due to its unification with the F-32. Most blueprints were done and even some parts were made. GAU proposed that the 413 be finished... but on Kirov factory's dime. The project was initiated by the factory, and GAU had no budget for it. In the end, the 57 mm tank gun project was sent to the archives.

t150s08-08af4cb9406b6df2069fdde1ac86cc1c

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 07:41, lucas1013 said:

Do you think it can be added all parts existed and it was started before the lack of funds killed it 

Maybe, but considering it never got finished - much less tested - I don't see why it'd be added over other, actually completed KV-1 variants/prototypes.

Sign in to follow this