Lockheed P-38K

Saw one overclimb my P38J while i was grinding its modules tonight, the difference in climbing was impressive, kinda scary as i only missed the fuselage and cover upgrade. We took off exactly at the same time, and suddenly, he just left this planet. o_O

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

pfft

and people were sitting around telling everyone it only goes 550 on the deck and climbs at something like 15 m/s.

what were they doing

Well I had my radiator 100% open for my level speed test (I forgot to close it).

Wep makes a huge difference with this plane in climb too. Edited by fufubear
medal medal medal medal medal

What BR does it have currently? Does it have unlimited WEP or p47 style ADI limited wep? 

Why is there no WEP speed listed for 9000 m ? What is an actual WEP top speed at 9000? with rad closed

It must oveheat like mad ?

Why do the best US props have to be premium?   :Ds

Same for the soviet planes at tier 4 :D best planes = D9 and yak3 107

Edited by Max__Damage
medal medal

Damn that's a good plane.

Thanks for the data sheet!

No it's not. Its dive limit and the early war belts (because why the hell not?) make it pretty subpar, especially compared to planes like the 47M. You can't follow up on reversals, you get outrolled at speed and either break off or overshoot due to lockup - or you rip your wings - and eventually somebody will get lucky during his prophang and hit something important.

Why is there no WEP speed listed for 9000 m ? What is an actual WEP top speed at 9000? with rad closed

The turbocharger can't maintain its maximum boost pressure at 9000m. That's why this plane's maximum speed is at a lower altitude. Should be the same as the late P-38s, though.

medal medal medal

No it's not. Its dive limit and the early war belts (because why the hell not?) make it pretty subpar, especially compared to planes like the 47M. You can't follow up on reversals, you get outrolled at speed and either break off or overshoot due to lockup - or you rip your wings - and eventually somebody will get lucky during his prophang and hit something important.

The turbocharger can't maintain its maximum boost pressure at 9000m. That's why this plane's maximum speed is at a lower altitude. Should be the same as the late P-38s, though.

All lightning strike have dive limit problems, but I think they are all pretty good. What makes the K bad in particular?
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Average speed/bad turn/low dive speed/low or average acceleration and climb depending of the br ?

The K might be a good climber, but it still can't turn, loses the boosted ailerons and the overheating... ?

Simple example : a 109F4 outperforms the J in almost every aspects, while beeing 1.0 lower in BR.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Average speed/bad turn/low dive speed/low or average acceleration and climb depending of the br ?

The K might be a good climber, but it still can't turn, loses the boosted ailerons and the overheating... ?

Simple example : a 109F4 outperforms the J in almost every aspects, while beeing 1.0 lower in BR.

At low to medium altittudes.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

All lightning strike have dive limit problems, but I think they are all pretty good. What makes the K bad in particular?

It outperforms the opposition at altitude, yet can't take advantage of it as a good pilot will just dive out and hit the P-38's mach limit, then zoom back up with virtually no altitude lost. You need to double team these guys so one bleeds speed while the other prevents the prophang. Vlad and me did that to a La-9 yesterday until that guy committed to it and got rekt - though Vlad was in the 47M.

Down low it is a monster, though. Co-energy up to 5000m you need not fear anything bar the lucky spray when you evade the headon. Slow them down and take advantage of your 4000 hp to out accelerate just about everything except maybe VK107 Yaks.

medal medal medal

I haven´t flown the K...

But people that says it turns bad, don´t know how to use flaps. P38s are bad without flaps... but with? lol.

Edited by PLPM
  • Upvote 2
medal

I have no idea why's this plane's WEP is better than L's.

Different engines. The K used the Allison F15 engines while the J used F17 engines and the L used F30 engines. Also the reason why the P-38K-1 wasn't selected for production by the War Production Board, since they thought the 2-3 week interruption in production lines wasn't worth it to account for the revised engine cowlings due to the different spinners and higher thrust line the K would have required. Not to mention the people that doubted Allison to actually make enough F15's in the first place

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

I think the Datasheets are incorrect or I failed to understand something here.

The K as an empty weight of 12'262 lb, and a T/O weight of 17'700 lb,

The L as an empty weight of 13'150 lb, and a T/O weight of 17'400 lb,

How comes the K, which is basically a J models with new prop blades, weight almost 1'000lb less empty, and suddenly 300 lb more full.

• Upvote 3

Is it correctly tiered?

I think so. It could possibly go up if the stiffening goes down some but for now I think it's fine.

• 1 month later...

climbs like a rocket but it turns like a whale, even below compression speeds.

I was playing cat and mouse with 2 yaks between 7 and 9 km altitude, they couldnt catch me but I also couldnt get my guns on them, they just turned away on every attack attempt.

Edited by *CptCosmic