Sign in to follow this  
SubRyan

Nakajima Ki-44-II hei

The flaps up stall speed seems kind of high. 182 would put it in the same league as the P51 and Fw 190 d9.
medal medal medal medal

The flaps up stall speed seems kind of high. 182 would put it in the same league as the P51 and Fw 190 d9.

It was 150 with flaps, probs like 160 without.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Did I read this properly? Why is the Ki-44 doing the same speed at military at WEP at 5.2km, but then as soon as altitude increases, WEP works again?

Ok I actually went and learned the formulas and calculated the ki 44s Cl max. It comes out at .957696. Doesn't that seem kind of low? A quick Google search shows that fighters would have a decent bit more than that.

Ok compared to the ki 44-I this does line up so it's not an issue with this plane only. So I guess the real question is if the Cl max seems accurate for the ki 44.

I'm beginning to think that it is too low based on comparison to other Japanese fighters. Edited by fufubear
medal medal medal medal

606 is WEP

WEP does nothing at 5.2km. But WEP does something at 6km. I think the speeds for military power are for WEP. I am not sure how an extra 250 HP can grant just 4 kph of top speed at SL and is in fact slower than the Ki-44-I at military powers at SL. Edited by blakeob

According to Japanese documents, the Ki-44 should do 605 km/h at 5.2km on military power. It does..584 km/h.

Ok I actually went and learned the formulas and calculated the ki 44s Cl max. It comes out at .957696. Doesn't that seem kind of low? A quick Google search shows that fighters would have a decent bit more than that.

Ok compared to the ki 44-I this does line up so it's not an issue with this plane only. So I guess the real question is if the Cl max seems accurate for the ki 44.

I'm beginning to think that it is too low based on comparison to other Japanese fighters.

I know this is half a year old, but fufubear what did you calculate there? 0.95 is complete rubbish.

The current CL_max is about 1.16, which is still quite low.

Edited by Juliet_Six
medal medal medal

I know this is half a year old, but fufubear what did you calculate there? 0.95 is complete rubbish.

I talked to Hiromachi about the Ki-44s wing CLmax, he said it was about 1.4. Seems like we have another issue like the A7M series.

Yeah I realized I did it wrong a while ago but didn't bother editing it out.
medal medal medal medal

What would the stall speed be at a 1.4 CL_Max?

165 kph or ~103 mph.
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

165 kph or ~103 mph.

Wow. That is a huge difference. So it's not just the speed and dive rate, also turn rate. Quality.

So WEP produced 1300 HP and ~4700m but rated power does 1300 at ~5250. Doesn't make sense to me.
  • Upvote 1

So WEP produced 1300 HP and ~4700m but rated power does 1300 at ~5250. Doesn't make sense to me.

Hahah never saw that

That is hilarious xD

The engine actually gets more powerful the higher you go! xD

Hahah never saw that

That is hilarious xD

The engine actually gets more powerful the higher you go! xD

Its stupid. Also, rated power should be 1320 HP at 5250m, not 1300 at 5243m with WEP.

Damn, I hate that this subforum has been cut off..

Edited by blakeob

Sign in to follow this