SubRyan

Mitsubishi A7M2

Thanks Ryan.

Where the xxxx did they get 19 secs from?

Edited by blakeob
swear went uncensored.
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

So you are trying to tell me this plane should be turning worse than a Griffon Spitfire?

math

Edited by blakeob

that horizontal turning only using the heck ruder ( hope i called that right)

Nope, not at all.
That was something a youtuber like Krebs said.

Yeah, their math ... 

The stall speed in clean configuration is 165 km/h IAS at load of 4230 kg (that gives 137 kg/mwing loading). The closest to such high stall speed from Mitsubishi aircraft was J2M3 with a stall speed in clean configuration of 161 km/h, but that was at weight of 3435 kg (100% fuel) giving 171 kg/m2 wing loading. 

Sorry, but the aircraft aim was to get landing and low speed handling similar to Zero so that new pilots really would have it easy trying to operate from carriers. It even has the worse stall speeds than Ki-84 power off. Something totally weird here has happened. 

• Upvote 9
medal medal

So you are trying to tell me this plane should be turning worse than a Griffon Spitfire?

Sustained turn. That value up there isn't what you think it is, clearly.

Yeah, their math ... 

The stall speed in clean configuration is 165 km/h IAS at load of 4230 kg (that gives 137 kg/mwing loading). The closest to such high stall speed from Mitsubishi aircraft was J2M3 with a stall speed in clean configuration of 161 km/h, but that was at weight of 3435 kg (100% fuel) giving 171 kg/m2 wing loading. 

Sorry, but the aircraft aim was to get landing and low speed handling similar to Zero so that new pilots really would have it easy trying to operate from carriers. It even has the worse stall speeds than Ki-84 power off. Something totally weird here has happened. 

Math as in with the values they used. Doesn't mean things like stall speed are right. But it does mean things calculated based off the given values would be.

I already said months ago how dumb the A7M1's stall speed is. The CLmax correlated to something like 1.05. But stall speed won't affect sustained turn very much anyway. The A7M2's is probably just as wrong (assuming 1.05 CLmax is wrong).

Edited by Nabutso
medal medal medal

Updated virage times to 19 sec (100%) and 18 sec (WEP)

This is not the final version and it most likely will be redetermined later

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

I got 651 kph at WEP. The stat card is rubbish.

The statcard shows me 626 kph for the A7M2 @ 5660m, yet the datasheet shows 651kph at 5660m. Is that just a stat card thing or is the A7M2 currently ingame too slow?

Edited by blakeob
  • Upvote 2

I don't think the A7M2 turn radius is correct? It turns very wide and a great deal of airplanes out turn it easily.

Isn't maneuverability one of this plane's key strengths? It's almost as if the elevator deflection isn't working properly. When going into a climbing spiral you can climb only very shallow.

medal medal medal medal medal

I would like some evidence which shows the A7M2 was a worse turner than the Spitfire Mk 9.

Assuming properly modelled flaps or current state ?

And instantaneous turn or sustained turn (taking into account the above)

Assuming properly modelled flaps or current state ?

And instantaneous turn or sustained turn (taking into account the above)

Both. Without flaps, I wouldn't be surprised if Spit could put turn Reppu.

Currently state and both.