BeastyBaiter

Graphics tweaks for improved visibility

It is a cool band-aid, by no means a definite thing i hope.

I find it more hard to identify a silhouette than properly see a spot sometimes, and that's under 2 clicks away.

Thanks for the heads up on the settings. Helped a bit. Can do 2 sorties in a row before the eyes accuse abuse. 

• Upvote 2

For the guys who want to get some use out of their 2nd card with nvidia SLI

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6m1nsFBIMS8ckdZSXhLbVdqSTA/edit?usp=sharing

This is a 32x AA profile for anyone with a pair of good Nvidia Cards. It uses the 2nd card for the AA. You need to download and install Invidia Inspector to use this profile. Helps with visibility a tiny bit too but mostly because shimmering edges are not distracting you anymore.

• Upvote 1

I'm playing with diff settings - Polynom tone mapping, try them. Game looks better than default in my opinion, spotting is lil better but check for yourself.

54c73b77a6ad2.jpg

I'm playing with diff settings - Polynom tone mapping, try them. Game looks better than default in my opinion, spotting is lil better but check for yourself.

54c73b77a6ad2.jpg

thank you for this, will try it out. I dont care how the game looks, it is visually stunning, I just want spotting to be top notch! So, how does it compare to the original trick in terms of spotting?

Update: the A parameter should be lowered to improve visibility against very bright (almost white) sky just over horizon.

lowered by how much?

much appreciated.

i play FRB sometimes, usually HB. I´ve really troubles finding enemies, tried some LOD settings some of you posted already.

furthermore i´ve facetrackNOIR installed, helps a lot, but still amm struggling. any hints you can give me?

the easiest way to find a plane is by watching AAAs but still...

i think its really hard to find ground targets... a little bit less realism, a bit more help on that would be awesome.

i could imagine something like the friendly icons once you are really close, but just for enemy target?!

i play FRB sometimes, usually HB. I´ve really troubles finding enemies, tried some LOD settings some of you posted already.

furthermore i´ve facetrackNOIR installed, helps a lot, but still amm struggling. any hints you can give me?

the easiest way to find a plane is by watching AAAs but still...

i think its really hard to find ground targets... a little bit less realism, a bit more help on that would be awesome.

i could imagine something like the friendly icons once you are really close, but just for enemy target?!

Ground targets are hard to spot, but it gets easier after playing some 100 battles. In the woods you mostly have the flames from the guns to aim at, but that too works. At least they are static. Biggest problem I think is the planes disappearing totally from view if they pass a cloud. Even closer than 1000 ft. Maybe it's happening with trees too. I lost a bomber over the forest in the Kuban map today. From being close to firing range to totally gone. I still don't want any icons though. Especially since they also mess up 3D. Ain't gonna be any Oculus Rift support if they don't change that.

Has anyone tried Nvidia 3D or other shutter glasses tech? Does it help spotting?

Have tried it. It helps a bit when close, but there's problems with the depths to ground. Before takeoff, it seems as your plane is half way into the ground. Looking forward from the cockpit, the ground is at eyelevel. Looking over the wings and it seems your plane is fresh in it's mold with ground starting above the wings. Friendly nametags are also flat on screen and makes flying in formation straining on the eyes. I'll do a test now to see if it's any better for spotting at further distances.

Have tried it. It helps a bit when close, but there's problems with the depths to ground. Before takeoff, it seems as your plane is half way into the ground. Looking forward from the cockpit, the ground is at eyelevel. Looking over the wings and it seems your plane is fresh in it's mold with ground starting above the wings. Friendly nametags are also flat on screen and makes flying in formation straining on the eyes. I'll do a test now to see if it's any better for spotting at further distances.

I made a thread on the testing here -> http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/33742-the-frb-stereoscopic-3d-thread/

Yeah, it wrecks my head how brutalizing the visuals just to spot dots easily. dont like the idea of having to trun low res diff combo graphic options  and faff around with postfx at diff day hours n maps. i dont know, at least put friendlies on map within a certain range so you don't spend all game chasing after your teammates. with the final enemy being a bot who's hiding in rainy clouds (this happened..4 v 1 bot that was untracable up in the clouds and rain. 30 minutes to press it outta there and going after eacother (got shot by friendly twice)

I would also like to get rid of those friendly icons that spoil the whole idea of FRB.

You may have a very good visibility of an enemy plane but it can be easily obstructed by a friendly icon of a plane chasing it...

Good stuff. I've found possibly the most useful thing was the 'Contrast' mode, the Reinhard(sp) effect seems to create an 'arcadey' sort of color boost and actually, after having made some other attempts and tweaks, found that the sharpening slots and contrast mode does the job as well without the reinhard coloring. The airplanes are a much bolder black.

The real issue is when and how the aircraft is being rendered. Just today, I was zooming passed a couple Spitfires and watched one snap from a loosely rendered airplane to a single pixel in a second. He couldn't have been further than 3000 meters. When these render distances get boosted to 7k meters from rendered airplane to dot will Full Real really meet it's potential.

A simple indicator would do the trick, but I'm still confident the developers will be able to achieve what very few simulators have done well with what no simulator has ever really had, brilliant graphics without a need for an icon while maintaining realistic spotting and tracking ability.

It isn't that most simulator guys want an icon. We needed one.

• Upvote 3

54c73b77a6ad2.jpg

spotting is awesome with these settings, thanks mate

Well I would not call it like that :) depends on a map too, dark ground plus heavy clouds = disappearing planes for me still. In such conditions I must try Reinhard with default LUT.

No FXAA, no vignette, sharpen at 3 bars, contrast, reinhard and 0.215.

Looks nice and close range spotting even on dark terrain is far, far better than any setting I've ever had.

Well I would not call it like that :) depends on a map too, dark ground plus heavy clouds = disappearing planes for me still. In such conditions I must try Reinhard with default LUT.

yeah awesome is maybe a bit exagerated, but much better than default layout!

the only bad thing is that sharpening causes tearing

Below are some graphics settings you can alter to improve aircraft visibility in FRB. I am not the one who came up with these and you may have to make some adjustments, but these should help with the plane dematarializing 300m in front of you issue. Generally with these settings, I can spot at long range, track at close/medium. Spotting at close/medium range is still tricky however. So here they are, they are all under the postFX settings button under game options.

Vignette: 0 bar

FXAA: None (yes, it makes it jagged)

Sharpen TPS/Gunner/Bomber/Cockpit: All to 10.5 bars

LUT Texture: Contrast

Tone Mapping: Reinhard

L_inv_white: 0.245 (roughly, no need to be precise).

I admit these settings do make the game look a little funny at times, but it allows for improved spotting/tracking in FRB. It is still unrealistically hard, but it is at least possible under most conditions.

Where do i found this settings?? i dont have a problem with spotting even without this settings, but im curius to see how it works. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5NG5LZrPvI

Options--> Post FX settings.

Good Hunting.

i´ve really problems following enemy planes if they go near the ground, against sky it´s easy.

sometimes im 400m behind the enemy and in zoom, the propeller and reflections on the glass often distracts the image and suddenly the plane is out of my sight. the same goes if im on higher altitude than the enemy, spotting him, making up a attack strategy while having my eyes on him, and suddenly the plane disapeared.

damn sometimes its really sooo hard to get a kill or at least engage a dogfight.

i´m playing at 1680x1050 on a 22" inch with "high" settings. for spotting issues im using the settings mentioned above. i´m really asking how other ppl can spot and follow me so easily and i´m failing so bad *whine*

• Upvote 1

I am flying at 1600x900 @higher than high (custom settings more than high) Graphics on a 17.3 inch screen, and I will say, the disappearing act against the ground (while lessened by King's Trick) is quite annoying. Bring back the LoD rework! GPU: Nvidia GTX 460M

• Upvote 1