BeastyBaiter

Graphics tweaks for improved visibility

Below are some graphics settings you can alter to improve aircraft visibility in FRB. I am not the one who came up with these and you may have to make some adjustments, but these should help with the plane dematarializing 300m in front of you issue. Generally with these settings, I can spot at long range, track at close/medium. Spotting at close/medium range is still tricky however. So here they are, they are all under the postFX settings button under game options.

Vignette: 0 bar

FXAA: None (yes, it makes it jagged)

Sharpen TPS/Gunner/Bomber/Cockpit: All to 10.5 bars

LUT Texture: Contrast

Tone Mapping: Reinhard

L_inv_white: 0.245 (roughly, no need to be precise).

I admit these settings do make the game look a little funny at times, but it allows for improved spotting/tracking in FRB. It is still unrealistically hard, but it is at least possible under most conditions.

• Upvote 88
medal medal medal medal medal

This should be pinned. It helps a lot. Not perfect, but it improves FRB Spotting infinitely.

Any admin out there, requesting you guys to pin it please, so that all can see it and it doesnt fade to obscurity!

medal medal

you cannot do this if you run the game on  minimum.  low drops my FPS to 15 which i find unplayable especially when using trackir

If I might add something to this discussion regarding one particular setting that could possibly be misconstrued by some and the setting I speak of is background resolution.  Some may think (maybe?) that this setting only applies to landscape and terrain.  It actually applies to everything external to your own aircraft and that includes the detail of other aircraft.  With the setting set at anything below maximum, aircraft will literally start to dissolve in front of you and hinder your tracking and spotting abilities.

Watch the video below in full HD 1080p to see the effects of medium to high settings (supersampling) of background resolution.  Check the wings of the 109 I am following and notice how they start to dissolve and flicker in and out view.  Still images would not illustrate this which is why I have posted a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SXc5Z72Lv8&hd=1

High quality video uploaded and despite YouTube re-compression the effects of supersampling are just as evident as they are in the original upload.  High quality upload here though if you want maximum quality (link 70MB).

With aircraft affected this way (less than maximum background resolution setting) it makes tracking and spotting harder, particularly when aircraft are against the terrain as they will start to blend into the background more than they normally would.  The video shows the 109 against a light, contrasting background (sea horizon level) to help illustrate the effect, but if this were against terrain the problems of spotting and tracking would only be exacerbated.

When defining your own custom settings you cannot select the maximum position on the background resolution slider.  To have it go to maximum you must tick the supersampling box and then the maximum position is set.  Despite what the popup says about performance issues with supersampling enabled (hover mouse over tick box to see message), I have found no significant impact on performance other than much better visuals and no dissolving aircraft.  This on my ATI 4850 which is not a high performance card by any stretch.

My advice.  There is only one setting to have enabled for background resolution and that is the maximum with supersampling enabled.  Also, FXAA by itself is not enough.  At least 2xAA is also needed for fine details to remain visible.  With no AA set but FXAA enabled and background resolution at maximum, fine details still flicker although to a much lesser degree.  The Launcher presets (up to High) have no AA set but at least 2xAA is needed in all situations (IMHO) to further improve external aircraft visuals.

As regards PostFX I personally have all these at default although I am not knocking others' suggested settings (+1 for OP).  I had a play around with PostFX but could never settle on anything that worked for me.  As it is for me (default) I have no major issues.  What I would really like however (which is lacking), is a simple colour saturation slider as I think colours are just a little too much in places.

My 2 Golden Eagles ;)s

Glo

• Upvote 9

I would also like to get rid of those friendly icons that spoil the whole idea of FRB.

You may have a very good visibility of an enemy plane but it can be easily obstructed by a friendly icon of a plane chasing it...

• Upvote 6

How about tiny enemy icons at 0.6 km then?

What would be the difference?

Any icons are simply not realistic in FRB...

• Upvote 4

I would support the icon removal but being able to put axis skins on a allied aircraft should be removed. In other words, if you spawn a US aircraft only US markings would appear. Also that would mean only only US or allied aircraft. I still wonder why the heck the Germans have the p47 for example. We might be better off just leaving the icons in FRB, as the later would cause more problems than they would solve. FRB is still just a game for our enjoyment, so is arcade and HB. ATC
  • Upvote 3

How about tiny enemy icons at 0.6 km then?

What would be the difference?

Any icons are simply not realistic in FRB...

First of you will see friendly fire on friendly premium planes and to other friendly's (stuff happens), penalty for friendly fire and also the repair bill for the victim will put many off (FRB needs more people so that isnt an option).

current spotting is very realistic isnt it   :facepalm:  

• Upvote 1

Good stuff. I've found possibly the most useful thing was the 'Contrast' mode, the Reinhard(sp) effect seems to create an 'arcadey' sort of color boost and actually, after having made some other attempts and tweaks, found that the sharpening slots and contrast mode does the job as well without the reinhard coloring. The airplanes are a much bolder black.

The real issue is when and how the aircraft is being rendered. Just today, I was zooming passed a couple Spitfires and watched one snap from a loosely rendered airplane to a single pixel in a second. He couldn't have been further than 3000 meters. When these render distances get boosted to 7k meters from rendered airplane to dot will Full Real really meet it's potential.

A simple indicator would do the trick, but I'm still confident the developers will be able to achieve what very few simulators have done well with what no simulator has ever really had, brilliant graphics without a need for an icon while maintaining realistic spotting and tracking ability.

It isn't that most simulator guys want an icon. We needed one.

• Upvote 8

I'm sorry 4brkfast, I disagree. I don't want an indicator and I don't need one.

It's bad enough that we have our little heads-up-display which now even tells us how many seconds of fuel we have left... Putting any more indicators in simply makes it into historical battle(the new arcade mode). No thanks.

Sure the visibility has its setbacks, but I don't want any more fancy stuff on my screen...  just cockpit will do nicely thanks. Especially in those aircraft which have serious fm(etc...) disadvantages.

• Upvote 6

If I might add something to this discussion regarding one particular setting that could possibly be misconstrued by some and the setting I speak of is background resolution.  Some may think (maybe?) that this setting only applies to landscape and terrain.  It actually applies to everything external to your own aircraft and that includes the detail of other aircraft.  With the setting set at anything below maximum, aircraft will literally start to dissolve in front of you and hinder your tracking and spotting abilities.

Watch the video below in full HD 1080p to see the effects of medium to high settings (supersampling) of background resolution.  Check the wings of the 109 I am following and notice how they start to dissolve and flicker in and out view.  Still images would not illustrate this which is why I have posted a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SXc5Z72Lv8&hd=1

High quality video uploaded and despite YouTube re-compression the effects of supersampling are just as evident as they are in the original upload.  High quality upload here though if you want maximum quality (link 70MB).

With aircraft affected this way (less than maximum background resolution setting) it makes tracking and spotting harder, particularly when aircraft are against the terrain as they will start to blend into the background more than they normally would.  The video shows the 109 against a light, contrasting background (sea horizon level) to help illustrate the effect, but if this were against terrain the problems of spotting and tracking would only be exacerbated.

When defining your own custom settings you cannot select the maximum position on the background resolution slider.  To have it go to maximum you must tick the supersampling box and then the maximum position is set.  Despite what the popup says about performance issues with supersampling enabled (hover mouse over tick box to see message), I have found no significant impact on performance other than much better visuals and no dissolving aircraft.  This on my ATI 4850 which is not a high performance card by any stretch.

My advice.  There is only one setting to have enabled for background resolution and that is the maximum with supersampling enabled.  Also, FXAA by itself is not enough.  At least 2xAA is also needed for fine details to remain visible.  With no AA set but FXAA enabled and background resolution at maximum, fine details still flicker although to a much lesser degree.  The Launcher presets (up to High) have no AA set but at least 2xAA is needed in all situations (IMHO) to further improve external aircraft visuals.

As regards PostFX I personally have all these at default although I am not knocking others' suggested settings (+1 for OP).  I had a play around with PostFX but could never settle on anything that worked for me.  As it is for me (default) I have no major issues.  What I would really like however (which is lacking), is a simple colour saturation slider as I think colours are just a little too much in places.

My 2 Golden Eagles ;)s

Glo

Thanks Glo, for really clearing a gray area I had in trying to figure the best use of supersampling and FXAA as it applies to this sim. Now maybe I can at least see you before you shoot me down---ha !!!!

Hmmmm !!! Maybe it is best that I don't see   :Ds    cheers-----sf 

• Upvote 1

Could someone try minimum graphics out in FRB, for me it looks to be much better for spotting and tracking than the solutions in this post but i cannot be 100% certain as the solution posted in this thread makes my FPS drop which could have effected my test.  Also with min settings the sun almost doesnt effect you.  

I find this awful for lead tracker in AB no matter though, with five nations in HB i need never return to the clusterfk that is AB
  • Upvote 1
medal

[quote name="Evilduck" post="320160" timestamp="1365707636"]Because they test flew captured ones   I am sure the allies had captured axis aircraft as well during the war. The P47 has no business being under the German flag. ATC
  • Upvote 4

I have no problems with captured planes ,they just have no place in FRB !.

On that I can wholeheartedly agree. Land lease is another story on the other hand.

And some interesting links talking about captured aircraft's.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/3197-KG-200-and-allied-planes-used-by-the-Luftwaffe

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/b17fortress.html

http://www.bill-freeman.net/me/eighthaf/punchboard.htm

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/aircraft/faacapturedaircrafthomepage.html

One plane I really want though is the is the Spitfire with the Daimler DB601 engine. Now that is one sexy aircraft

Hdbspit_1.jpeg

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal

Well you can even make the night time like day time with those post fx settings,

I'm using em as well but so much sharpening ruins the visual quality (it's called clarity trick in photograph)

but half or quarter of the full bar will help you to spot the planes little bit better.

Combine it with motion blur and no fxaa.

It helps for spotting dots better but, it doesn't change the lod problems...

• Upvote 3

Works well for me.

I play mostly FPS games but I found that properly calibrating your particular monitor helps allot as sometimes improper gamma or contrast can wash out the dark and make dark on dark hard to distinguish (like a plane below you but over some trees).  

Here are some ICC profiles and callibrated settings for common monitors:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Use this webpage to double check your calibration:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Also if you have a compatible 3D monitor Light Boost helps very much to remove motion blur.

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

And then removing Pro Process effects like motion blur, bloom and FXAA. Also found one called "haze" although it makes it easier to spot LOD changes.se I play on max settings.