Results45

Forums
New Forum Sections: Categorized Suggestions and CDK Community

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like suggestions to be categorized?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What about a dedicated "Modding Community" subforum actively supported by developers and "CDK Expert" staff?

• Definitely
    • Not interested
    • Restructure the current forums before adding a new one.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

Everything about these sections is laid out below, so let's jump into it!

Categorized Suggestions:

Developer's Perspective

I check the forums to see what inspiration I can get from the players (or sometimes when I get bored). Among the first places I look is the suggestions section, but more often than not I find myself asking, "What am I doing here going through all these suggestions that don't quite fit what I'm looking for?" This usually happens after scanning pages and pages of suggestions when I start realizing I should get back to my regular work like modeling naval craft or designing maps. Now if only there was an easier way to look for good player ideas......

Forumer's Perspective
Every time I dive into the suggestions forums here, it's a zoo -- an unending list of literally thousands of ideas that players (like me) would like to see in-game. The solution to this would be to categorize suggestions like bug reports: by game aspect, by country, by vehicle type, by game mode.

Features:
1. Suggestion threads categorized in sub-forum section (titled Vehicles, Loadouts, Forums, UI, Economy, Game Mode, Gameplay/Maps, Battle Modes, Skins/Decals, Naval Craft, and Other/Misc.)
2. Sub-sections within those main sub-forum sections (vehicles by gameplay type/country/role, maps by gameplay type/region, UI & Economy by function, etc.)

Illustrations:

Categorized WT Suggestions Illustration #1.png

Categorized WT Suggestions Illustration #2.png

Categorized WT Suggestions Illustration #3.png

CDK Community:
1. A sub-section within the "War Thunder Live Community" sub-forum or as its own independent sub-forum
2. Tutorials on all things CDK (anything from downloading & uploading to creating vehicles and maps from scratch
3. Sections (sub-sections in parenthesis):

• Tutorials* ("Video Tutorials and step-by-step "Instructional Tutorials")
  • "General CDK Discussion"
  • [moderated] "Meet the Modelers" (Lassar's Team, BVV_d's Team, White_Wolf's Team, VSN's Team)
  • [moderated] "Developer-led Projects" (aircraft, GFs, naval, maps, and economy/UI)
  • "New Projects"
  • "WiP Projects"
  • "Completed Projects"
  • "Implemented Projects"

4. Example modding community (Bluedrake42)

*"CDK Expert" member-led tutorial threads

note: the "Suggestions" subforum now contains over 7,000 topics

Edited by Results45

Open for discussion.  :salute:

Yes please on the categorized suggestions!

Might also be of help to reduce the often repeated new topics for a suggestion that has already been suggested a couple of times.

Best regards,

Phil

Yes please the forums are pretty hard to dive through.

should have been organized like that from the start.

i would recommend that gf vehicles+loadouts and af vehicles+loadouts be separated as well

"Game Mode, Gameplay/Maps, Battle Modes" could probably share space as gameplay, modes, and maps are all intimately connected to one another

If this happens, i would literally be willing to hand-organize existing threads for everyone. But that's not happening :p

i hope this doesnt get forgotten - its way too easy for good ideas to be forgotten and lost in these disorganized subforums

I would make suggestions divided much more roughly in 4 groups and 8 subgroups: 

Vehicles:Aircraft, Groundforces, Naval

Gameplay: Existing, New mechanics,

Graphics/visual:general,skins,decals (maybe even monthly competition to add 1 of both(or more) in next update.)

Miscellanous

What do you think?

Edited by mr905

the fact that this suggestion slips away unheeded feels like it only further proves how overcrowded the current suggestions forums are

the fact that this suggestion slips away unheeded feels like it only further proves how overcrowded the current suggestions forums are

Yeah. even the tags don't work as they're supposed. they just throw "Bad search term" when clicked.

I would make suggestions divided much more roughly in 4 groups and 8 subgroups: 

Vehicles:Aircraft, Groundforces, Naval

Gameplay: Existing, New mechanics,

Graphics/visual:general,skins,decals (maybe even monthly competition to add 1 of both(or more) in next update.)

Miscellanous

What do you think?

About what I thought, although I was even considering putting gameplay/graphics/misc together... while splitting it up is good, splitting it in too many group reduces again the exposure of some suggestions to players as they then might just focus on the vehicles and graphics sections, missing out on a good suggestion in the other suggestion sections that they currently still see.

E.g. in my case, I usually skim over the titles and ignore tank and tank gameplay suggestions, but sometimes I do find a good tank suggestion that I think is worthwhile to support. If it would now be hidden in the vehicles-groundforces subforum I might never find some good suggestions there because I would rarely look in this section.

TL.DR: Splitting it up is supported, but not too much to prevent good suggestions for usually overlooked game areas/aspects/problems disappearing in (sub-)sections that most players ignore.

Best regards,

Phil

disappointing that this continues to sink. how can good ideas hope to float to the surface when buried under so much? organize, i beg of you!

bump reminder that the suggestions and FD forums are messes that are cluttered with duplicate threads and would benefit immensely from improved organization

maybe we should have a discussion with technical mods directly.

Talk to the Admins and CMs (Scarper, Stona, Wibox, etc.). They're the ones in-charge of the forums --- hopefully they'll overhaul the forum layout & organization someday soon  ;)s

[attachment=189218:documentedsuggestions.PNG]

its a little funny that documented suggestions has some categories, but by its nature receives much less activity than suggestions and FD

attachicon.gifdocumentedsuggestions.PNG

its a little funny that documented suggestions has some categories, but by its nature receives much less activity than suggestions and FD

Nice observation. :)

Ironic that "Documented Suggestions" is categorized, but not the "Suggestions" and "Further Discussion" xD

A new thought occurs to me. now that shameless "bumping" is forbidden, only controversial ideas that inspire a lot of arguing will be able to live at the top of the forum where everyone bothers to actually look.

ideas that people simply agree on, but do not feel like they can add to, will be doomed to sink down. but, better organization of threads into proper categories/subforums would help reduce that problem, because they will be sorted into the places they belong rather than all fighting each other for position.

The suggestion count is now over 7,000.

Anybody else think categorizing suggestions will help with finding and supporting great ideas?

Edited by Results45

Still for it, esp. with the fact that the search function with the new forum is horrid.

Best regards,

Phil