barial

M60 Sabot Round

Where is the best place to put this on an IS3/4, T54 and T10? Grinding the other rounds.

IS-3, idk, but low glacis, but if you see it the side, u can shot any place in the side, but i recomment his engine or crews or ammo rack.

IS-4, Hatch driver, or low glacis, the side, try to memorize ammoracks and where is the crews.

T-54 - 1947,49,51, u should shot in the turret front when it is the front, in the side try to aim to the gunner position or cannon breech, or ammorack or fuel tank.

T-10M i think only you can pen that tank with APDS in the sides. idk if shot in the low glacis work.

Idk have the M-60, but i played with the Leo 1, it have the same cannon and ammo.

IF you have more problems, you can sned a PM, and maybe i can be more helpful.

Edited by VolkRelic
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

T-54 - 1947,49,51, u should shot in the turret front when it is the front, in the side try to aim to the gunner position or cannon breech, or ammorack or fuel tank.

Actually, the Sabot rounds should easily punch through the upper glacis of the 49/51 variants.

APDS acts like APCR in War Thunder, but it is much more effective against sloped armor.

medal medal

Actually, the Sabot rounds should easily punch through the upper glacis of the 49/51 variants.

APDS acts like APCR in War Thunder, but it is much more effective against sloped armor.

Yeah front armor and low glacis of the T-54 1947 is 120 mm alright, and the T-54 49,51 is 100 mm (front armor and low glacis).

Driving the M60 is great, amour leaves something to be desired but against russian tanks any armour is useless. 2 ammo pens usual russian tank response, shoot back but still a nice change from the M103 whale handling.

why anoyone wwant to play high tier US ? :dntknw: Join Stallinium Force and win almost all games without much effort = much more fun

Not true. Some of us like a bit of a challenge. There's a reason that I have all of the nations unlocked and only play a few select BRs.
  • Upvote 1
medal

Seems the sabot is having problems with T54 turret sides at ranges (1000) and getting bounce from sloped armour even close up? Turret cheeks had 2 rounds just turn to sparks on the T54? Should have some pen there? The sabot was a pretty fierce round during the conflict in the desert against russian tanks, seems lacking here or maybe I just need better shot placement. Very slow grind getting to my FPE, still doing turret but thank god got parts now. I just started using the M60 but this new BR change seems to make staying alive a bit easier? Maybe the tank (drove M103 before). Is there no APHE or APBC for this tank?

Aim for the point of the pike on the IS-3, slightly lower (top lower plate) on the T-10M, IS-4M you can penetrate the lower plate (which is tiny) or the drivers hatch (even more tiny), The T-54 1949 you can pen the turret cheek as long as you hit close to the gun, the lower plate is also possible at close range if you're gun is level with their lower plate and not above it. The T-54 1949 and 1951 can be penetrated through the hull armour if they don't have too much of an angle or aren't at extreme range (over 1.5km), when facing their front, shoot through their left side to go for crew kills, with a possibility to take out 3 and one shot the tank. The T-54's right side is where the ammo and fuel are, and they are unreliable at best.

You can also go through the T-10M or IS-3's upper plates if they angle their pike away from you too much, though the T-10M is only possible there at close range. The M392A2 APDS can go through pretty much any tank it meets technically, but the IS-4M is the biggest hassle to kill on armour alone, however they will usually struggle to penetrate your M60 as well. The T-10M can be a little difficult too, but obviously it is a much bigger threat due to the gun it possesses.

medal medal medal medal medal

For the IS-3 and IS 4 i found an exposed spot on the front of the turret. Its rather small and still 250mm thick but if you can aim well you can put a shot in there at close range.

When looking at him you mght notice a small bit of poorly angled armor to the left of the gun that isnt protected by the gun mantlet Also to the right there is a gap in the mantlet where the gunner's sight is.

Of course i only evenr had a chance to shoot those in combat in a Maus so no idea how effective apds would be after penetrating.

the IS 4's driver's hatch is oyur best bet though if oyu look at it in the armor inspector oyu will notice the main armor partialy overlaps with it so you need to aim in the middle.

I put 88mm apcr shells in there with good effect in the past. So apds should have a spimilar effect. It shuld kill the driver and then destroy the engine, possibly setign it on fire.

Edited by MrMakWASP
medal medal medal medal medal medal

All good stuff, thanks. Wish they would fix the sound of the cannon tho. Sounds like a 40mm. The coding for the sabot needs work, they seem to forget the round, after pen is still moving and will bounce around inside a tank.

Not true. Some of us like a bit of a challenge. There's a reason that I have all of the nations unlocked and only play a few select BRs.

shooting 7 rounds from 50 meters at soft target like T-34 without any effect - it's dumb not challenging

• Upvote 1

IS3 - Right underneath the gun, right above the top glacis. The shot trap kills even with the M41's APDS

IS4 - Aim for your round to hit the very edge of the driver hatch, where it looks like it would bounce. Spoiler alert- it wont.

T-10 - Lower glacis right at the peak, or hit his gun, then track, then drive around him.

T-54 - Aim to the right of the gun at close range to kill the gunner, if your reload is less than 10 seconds, repeat for crew kill. Or just hit his upper plate. T54's are small pests now.

King TIger - Same weak spots at the front that you know and love (Turret front, lower glacis)

Panther - Literally anywhere

Maus - Right side of turret, or lower glacis

ZSU - 57 - Anywhere in the turret. Repeatedly shoot after dead because dirty ZSU spam can't be tolerated.

Pz. II - Apparently can't die to high-tier ammunition. Run in fear.

GAZ-4MM -  What.

• Upvote 2

It is interesting that a point of entry needs to be used for a sabot round. I have no idea how many sabots I have fired into the sides of T10/T54/IS tanks only to have them carry on as if nothing happened. It is my understanding that the sabot is a tungsten steel penetrator that should pass through both sides of the tank due to it's light side armour? Gaiji seems to feel unless you actually hit a man or round of ammo, little happens. Now this picture is from depleted uranium sbaot, Abam tank, but I am not suggesting firing it through a bank of dirt first, just the tank. I would think similar results SHOULD be expected. A sabot creates a hit inside similar to an APHE in interior damage. A common event from a sabot hit is closed hatches being blown open from overpressure.

f4K0yS2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Where is the best place to put this on an IS3/4, T54 and T10? Grinding the other rounds.

IS-3: Where the pike nose armor meets both plates and the lower plate

IS-4: Lower plate, maybe? Not sure about the IS-4

T-54: (From your perspective) to the left of his UFP, APDS can punch straight through a T-54s UFP, shoot it there to detonate the ammo, if long range, lower plate

T-10: Same as the IS-3

It is interesting that a point of entry needs to be used for a sabot round. I have no idea how many sabots I have fired into the sides of T10/T54/IS tanks only to have them carry on as if nothing happened. It is my understanding that the sabot is a tungsten steel penetrator that should pass through both sides of the tank due to it's light side armour? Gaiji seems to feel unless you actually hit a man or round of ammo, little happens. Now this picture is from depleted uranium sbaot, Abam tank, but I am not suggesting firing it through a bank of dirt first, just the tank. I would think similar results SHOULD be expected. A sabot creates a hit inside similar to an APHE in interior damage. A common event from a sabot hit is closed hatches being blown open from overpressure.

f4K0yS2.jpg

logic and historical data in WarThunder?

Leave this patch, it won't work.

It's WarThunder.

• Upvote 1

I seem to have experienced a sudden drop in sabot performance? Round was hitting 1 meter low at around 500 meters? Just bouncing around with no pen power? Anyone else? Hope this was a single battle problem not another nerf down on US ammo? I'll try again later. Tired of fighting russian all 7.7 with a mix of 6.7 / 7.7 German / US tanks.

Doing a little research, I read an Iraq soldier defected to russia with a M60 tank. Much to russia's surprise, the Sabot round could easily pen the sloped front armour of their T72 tank. It was unable to pen the front turret of the T72. They then changed the armour of the T72 to composite to correct for this. I have not been able to find specs of armour thickness/slope of the early T72. I just find it surprising a Tungsten/carbide rod going that fast through armour does so little damage? The big slow russian APHE is able to pen same armour and yet remain whole and perform exactly as specs dictate? It seems little thot is given to non-russian ammo and just coded as a pen/no pen with little after pen results being coded properly. It seems the russian APHE is coded to explode in the center of the crew station no matter what. Had one hit my loader in the head, M19 and explode killing crew. One travels from rear engine, M60,  all the way to crew and explode, over the 1.2 meter fuse distance, always perfect performance.

f4K0yS2.jpg

Isn't that T-72 like that due to ammo rack cook off though?

Not saying that APDS in this game is not underperforming though as it obviously is...

Is it? Don't know? Do know your right in underperforming. I used this example just to show Sabot went clean through, cooking off ammo only proves this point more as the blast didn't slow down the sabot :Os

Usually blown off turrets and outward bulging are due to internal detonation of ammo rack. KE penetrator does most damage primarily through spalling and killing of crew or cooking off ammo.

APDS and APCR function more like lasers in game though. Even with the new BAE mechanic, the spalling from APDS feels lacking

And yeah, it's not uncommon for modern APFSDS to go clean through. Edited by Fuyukaze
  • Upvote 1