Mick67

Combat Etiquette

Just a few tips for those getting started in WT/GF, and some common faux pas committed by inexperienced players.

1. Do not follow directly behind someone, and by (directly) I mean, so close your nose is up someones tailpipe.  Leave a little space, and better yet stagger your position so if the tank in front of you stops quickly (which usually means a surprise enemy encounter), you don't run into them spoiling their aim and getting them killed.

2. Don't take up a fighting position in the middle of a road.  Yes you may have a good hull down position on a sunked road, but everyone else has to expose themselves to enemy fire in order to get around you. In other words, don't be the old xxxx doing 40mph in the fast lane.

3. Watch where you are driving. Now I know it happens to almost everyone once in awhile, but I have seen to many players bounce from one players tank to a tree and back to someone elses tank, because they are too busy looking around for more barrage ballons or butterflys, or who knows what else, instead of watching where they are going.  Additionally, when passing someone, give them some space. I don't know how many times I have had the perfect shot spoiled by someone who trys to squeeze by my position (not in the road as mentioned above), and they kick my tank around and get me killed because they either can't judge distance or just don't care.

4. Do not pull up behind someone when they are using a covered position. There is nothing more frustrating than pulling out from behind your cover to take a shot, and finding out that you can't back into cover before the enemy clobbers you because some idiot is pulled up right behind you and you can't push them out of the way before your tank gets blown sky high.

5. Do not pass in front of another tank that is set up in a firing position. Again, it is very frustrating to have a good shot spoiled because some moron just can't wait to get killed, and by the time they pass, your shot is either gone or the enemy has spotted you and fires before you can. Pass behind the other tank, and remember to leave space incase they need to reverse in a hurry.

6. Spawn traffic jams. When you spawn in and try to move, if your tanks seems to be bogged down or is going in some direction other than intended, just stop. It usually means that there is another tank spawned next to or in front of you and you just can't see them yet. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I have been spun around or even had track/transmission damage because someone is in such a hurry to get moving they don't care how many teammates they take out in the process.  Slow down and take your time, there is plenty of time for you to get killed and watch the rest of the match from the spectators gallery.

7. Talk people. I know its hard to text chat in the game, but if you see something that is important, like the enemy is going for flanking position or enemy tanks are in a friendly spawn, give a quick text. It takes a couple of seconds and can mean the difference between a win and getting steam rolled. And quit using that fricking "attention to coordinates", a couple of quick words can give a lot more detail.

8. Lastly, help out others around you who are in trouble. I don't mean go rushing across the map everytime someone starts screaming that they "need cover", but if your close try and help out. Draw a little fire or attack an enemy player that is pounding one of your own, or push/pull a broke down tank to cover.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 37

Just a few tips for those getting started in WT/GF, and some common faux pas committed by inexperienced players.

1. Do not follow directly behind someone, and by (directly) I mean, so close your nose is up someones tailpipe.  Leave a little space, and better yet stagger your position so if the tank in front of you stops quickly (which usually means a surprise enemy encounter), you don't run into them spoiling their aim and getting them killed.

Good stuff, but if I can add to #1 (and make it about planes); most times when I am randomly TK'd it starts with him putting his nose right behind me and following for a bit from the game start.  Even without worrying about maneuver space it is really nerve wracking to find someone pointing his guns at you from 100m and following your every move, wondering if he's going to shoot you down.  Sometimes I've had people doing this when they accidentally click their mouse and shoot me up even if they didn't intend to.

Doing this to me is likely to result in me coming around and delivering warning shots across your nose, followed by yelling at you since you just messed up my opening climb.  Just fly or drive to the side fer chrissakes.

• Like 1

One more:

If you do accidentally bump into someone, STOP IMMEDIATELY. Just like in a real-life car accident, you'll only make things worse if you keep on going. It's already frustrating to get hit by an ally, it's extremely aggravating when you get spun-out because the guy behind you thinks he has right of way. Accidents happen and an apology is appreicated, but holding down the W button after t-boning a friendly tank or fishtailing them is one of the main causes of intentional teamkilling. It only takes a couple of seconds for the confusion to sort itself out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

An appendage to #7. Be nice to other people, even if you are losing. Just because you are on the internet doesn't mean there are no rules.

Oh, another one. Don't spray your MG at or near teammates. It may seem harmless, but if a stray shot hits a very lightly armored allied tank, or an allied open top vehicle, it hurts a lot more than you think. Don't do it.

Edited by Admiral_Obvious
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 8

An appendage to #7. Be nice to other people, even if you are losing. Just because you are on the internet doesn't mean there are no rules.

Oh, another one. Don't spray your MG at or near teammates. It may seem harmless, but if a stray shot hits a very lightly armored allied tank, or an allied open top vehicle, it hurts a lot more than you think. Don't do it.

AND on top of that if you spray them with an MG and they either flip or crash in some way and bail out of their tank, you WILL get penalized for a TK as you were the one who hit them.  I've seen it happen a number of times.

• Upvote 3

When trying to Cap, you only need to roll over the EN held cap to reset it. Pull back into cover and wait out the inevitable arty spam, then once the cap goes white roll in and capture it. You can also move into a favourable position and pick off any EN trying to dash in to prevent reset.

Remember every second that the enemy holds cap costs your team some tickets. So if the enemy is not camped out on the cap itself, go do a drive by and reset it to prevent ticket loss and a gradual wear down of you team points.

• Upvote 2

My questions are fairly simple, and may fall within the the parameters of this post:

-In arcade battle, how do you tag an enemy so they show up on the map?  As annoying as it is, I see other players spamming out opponents positions like crazy and on occasion it can be helpful. 

-In arcade battle, how do you call out for help and give you position?  Again, I hate how help is spammed but there have been an occasion or 2 that someone could have helped me out and they are looking the wrong direction or something.

While I am thinking about it, maybe this could be added to the etiquette list:

If you do a teamkill, at least acknowledge and perhaps even apologize for taking out a teammate.  I know there have been times I've inadvertently done a TK, and always have tried to stop and apologize immediately.  Doing a TK without even acknowledging that you did this usually will start the killers name being drug thru the mud, and artillery strikes called down on him or her.  It's better to focus on blowing up the opponent than going after or dodging your own teammate.

• Upvote 1

Here is one for realistic battles check that your target is not a friendly before you shoot iv had it several times when iv been killed by a team mate who wasn't paying attention to who he was shooting it is quite annoying

If you do accidentally bump into someone, STOP IMMEDIATELY. Just like in a real-life car accident, you'll only make things worse if you keep on going. It's already frustrating to get hit by an ally, it's extremely aggravating when you get spun-out because the guy behind you thinks he has right of way. Accidents happen and an apology is appreicated, but holding down the W button after t-boning a friendly tank or fishtailing them is one of the main causes of intentional teamkilling. It only takes a couple of seconds for the confusion to sort itself out.

you have no idea how often i see people just trying to push their way through i mean come on by the time you get yourself sorted out the other team has taken half the map or you end up getting killed

Edited by Ghost_Rider12

I'd quite like to know how to report a particular enemy too - I see it done quite often.

however I think the "Attention to he map" messages are very useful IF ACCOMPANIED by some text about why give attention!!  sometimes it can be obvious - a flanking enemy, a group ripe for artillery.  But sometimes u might want to warn of artillery coming down on a seemingly enemy location, or an enemy not visible on the minimap - using the "Attention to the Map" gives an exact location, and then "artillery coming there" or "Pz4 located there" or similar is informative and the location is accurate.

About following close - I was killed by a "friendly" in the Tunisian town once - we were racing towards the cap, me in front, I clipped a building and came to a dead stop....his Cromwell slammed into the back of my now stationary T70 at 40kph and killed both my crew!!

Edited by Stalins_Organ
  • Upvote 2

Calling it a team battle is a misnomer when the majority act and have a similar attitude like DieGans, above. Without using TeamSpeak (which is only good for your team of 2 or 3) a better in-game 'team' voice channel is needed to communicate (although my efforts to get the voice comms working has not worked). The typing in chat is essentially hopeless.

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 11:07 PM, Admiral_Obvious said:

Yep. I've been MG'd from behind right after spawning at the start of the game.  On low tier tanks, it does cause some damage. 

• Upvote 1

A couple thoughts. Suggest clean this up (remove all unhelpful responses - which is almost all of them) and post it somewhere that is more user friendly and obvious. This post is good stuff and MUST reading for every player. If I might suggest a couple more based on my experiences:

1. Do not shoot your guns at the start, when respawning or ever shoot at a teammate unless you are under the age of 12. Teammates will avoid you, refuse to support you or even use you as bait. If you shoot when respawning teammates will likely think the spawn is under attack and delay their efforts towards winning the mission.

2. Let the fast vehicles out first from the spawn. They are your scouts and will help you plan your route. They will also be the first ones killed and save you from ambush. Taking the point is very few Silver Lions compared to a kill.

3. Going AA with the first vehicle is not the move of a good teammate unless you are attacking - there are no planes for a while and you are just giving the enemy a numerical advantage. AA is very effective against vehicles at ranks 1 and 2, but not if you stay at the spawn.

4. Get out of the spawn as fast as you can (other than the above). You can think on the way. You don't have to be taking a point as much as getting to the best positions before the enemy gets the angles.

5. If you rush the point at the start do not complain about the lack of immediate support. The strongest tanks to stand up in a head to head fight are slow. Consider hiding near the point to ambush the enemy.

6. As said before COMMUNICATE - you have a break while you select a vehicle for respawn - use it. Ask for help, let the team know your flank has collapsed, that there is a strong enemy where you were, or anything else you would want to know to help kill enemy vehicles and not get killed yourself.

7. Do not hide in the back - sniping is not as effective as supporting your teammates. Real-life tank combat tactics are to outnumber your enemy by having more gun tubes at the point of contact than the enemy. The real-life math is a dramatic increase in your side's survivors not just to subtract their number of tubes from yours. If you are sniping you will likely have a limited field of fire and can't support the action at the front much.

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, Siouxwarrior said:

A couple thoughts. Suggest clean this up (remove all unhelpful responses - which is almost all of them) and post it somewhere that is more user friendly and obvious. This post is good stuff and MUST reading for every player.

Thank you @Siouxwarrior for your thoughts and contribution to "Army Academy". Some cleaning has been done, however, this section of the forum is the most and probably the only appropriate place for this kind of guide thread to stay.

Have a nice day. :salute:

• Upvote 1

Still so often these days, teamates drive their tank in front blocking your shot. Happens to me even if I pull off the road to take a shot. Some players are far to impatient to get a kill, so teamwork is not going to happen.

• Upvote 1

War Thunder BFM Dogfight Basics

Do not shoot guns head-on in air to air engagements known as Dogfights but everyone does it, sadly.

It should be done like this.....................

NOTE:- I wish they would add an improved flight model instead of UFO maneuvers please War Thunder Dev's.

Edited by SkyKnight2014
  • Upvote 2

On 10.1.2017 at 3:51 AM, Siouxwarrior said:

7. Do not hide in the back - sniping is not as effective as supporting your teammates. Real-life tank combat tactics are to outnumber your enemy by having more gun tubes at the point of contact than the enemy. The real-life math is a dramatic increase in your side's survivors not just to subtract their number of tubes from yours. If you are sniping you will likely have a limited field of fire and can't support the action at the front much.

Very true. though there is definetely need for sniping from the flanks, to help your team cap or defend a cap point, or by preventing enemy tanks from moving. But, this you cannot achieve by sniping from near your spawn. This needs to be done from a flanking position, and your flank needs to count, meaning that you have to be able to shoot at the enemy tanks that are in crucial locations. Unfortunately, there is a lot of useless flanking going on. To go back to sniping from around your spawn: From such firing positions, you'll engage the enemy frontally, and thus are less likely to do significant damage. Also, you are more likely to get hit yourself, and if you are in a glass cannon type of thing, you might get killed before you achieve anything.

Then, an additional point:

8. In a sniping tank destroyer, your role is to support the tanks, not the other way around. Do not whine for help or blame others for not helping you. You are the one that helps. I remember a sniping tank destroyer guy who blamed others for not supporting him. Well if the tanks spend their time protecting a sniper, who does the actual assaults and cap point defense? When a sniper is in danger, he should change his firing position.

• Upvote 2

If someone says "Attack the A point!", don't be a smartass who replies with "Attack the D point!"

Yes is it obvious that A point is to be attacked, especially in conquest mode, but take into account that the message has two possible meanings: 1) "Make an actual attack instead of camping/sniping" or 2) "Right now is a good moment to attack, so charge it before it's too late".

As for "Attack the D point", it has the implication of "to hell with tactics, let's just fool around". 

Well well, I guess the D point guys won't be reading this thread anyway.

• Upvote 2

On 23/09/2015 at 2:41 AM, Mick67 said:

2. Don't take up a fighting position in the middle of a road.  Yes you may have a good hull down position on a sunked road, but everyone else has to expose themselves to enemy fire in order to get around you. In other words, don't be the old xxxx doing 40mph in the fast lane.

3. Watch where you are driving. Now I know it happens to almost everyone once in awhile, but I have seen to many players bounce from one players tank to a tree and back to someone elses tank, because they are too busy looking around for more barrage ballons or butterflys, or who knows what else, instead of watching where they are going.  Additionally, when passing someone, give them some space. I don't know how many times I have had the perfect shot spoiled by someone who trys to squeeze by my position (not in the road as mentioned above), and they kick my tank around and get me killed because they either can't judge distance or just don't care.

4. Do not pull up behind someone when they are using a covered position. There is nothing more frustrating than pulling out from behind your cover to take a shot, and finding out that you can't back into cover before the enemy clobbers you because some idiot is pulled up right behind you and you can't push them out of the way before your tank gets blown sky high.

5. Do not pass in front of another tank that is set up in a firing position. Again, it is very frustrating to have a good shot spoiled because some moron just can't wait to get killed, and by the time they pass, your shot is either gone or the enemy has spotted you and fires before you can. Pass behind the other tank, and remember to leave space incase they need to reverse in a hurry.

6. Spawn traffic jams. When you spawn in and try to move, if your tanks seems to be bogged down or is going in some direction other than intended, just stop. It usually means that there is another tank spawned next to or in front of you and you just can't see them yet. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I have been spun around or even had track/transmission damage because someone is in such a hurry to get moving they don't care how many teammates they take out in the process.  Slow down and take your time, there is plenty of time for you to get killed and watch the rest of the match from the spectators gallery.

7. Talk people. I know its hard to text chat in the game, but if you see something that is important, like the enemy is going for flanking position or enemy tanks are in a friendly spawn, give a quick text. It takes a couple of seconds and can mean the difference between a win and getting steam rolled. And quit using that fricking "attention to coordinates", a couple of quick words can give a lot more detail.

8. Lastly, help out others around you who are in trouble. I don't mean go rushing across the map everytime someone starts screaming that they "need cover", but if your close try and help out. Draw a little fire or attack an enemy player that is pounding one of your own, or push/pull a broke down tank to cover.

Well said but sadly seems to be ignored by most players I've played with.

On 02/03/2017 at 4:02 PM, cowardy said:

If someone says "Attack the A point!", don't be a smartass who replies with "Attack the D point!"

Yes is it obvious that A point is to be attacked, especially in conquest mode, but take into account that the message has two possible meanings: 1) "Make an actual attack instead of camping/sniping" or 2) "Right now is a good moment to attack, so charge it before it's too late".

As for "Attack the D point", it has the implication of "to hell with tactics, let's just fool around". 

Well well, I guess the D point guys won't be reading this thread anyway.

The problem with this, is it gets spammed, by idiots repeating the same command over and over to the points it's annoying.